The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Is this said with something you know? As mentioned earlier, BainsfordBairn shot the rumour down during the week.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Talk more about this plz

Nothing more than a hunch.  DKD is going to be away.  I think he's too flaky for top-end Championship yet.  40 games around L1 level will be good for him.

Falkirk really should skoosh the League with these recent signings.  Not doing so would represent as big a failure as last season's.

We walked the division in 2012-13 (in a way we certainly would have been in no position to repeat had we not scrambled clear this time), but it was actually bloody boring. 

I'm serious.  It was a relief to get straight back up and there were some highlights:  coming back from one down with ten men to beat Arbroath 5-1 was good, as was winning the Challenge Cup by overcoming the top two in the division above, as well as Rangers.

However week on week, as wins piled up in mismatches where we often weren't even that great, it got tedious as Hell.  

You'll find yourselves nodding sagely and politely applauding from your seat as the inevitable unfolds.  

The sledgehammer to crack a nut approach is probably wise and necessary to make the exile short.  Don't expect to have much fun though.  Only OF types could really enjoy it.

With McKinnon however, you never know.  You might get lucky and make heavy weather of it, thus lending your season some interest.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest Ecosse83
6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Falkirk really should skoosh the League with these recent signings.  Failure to do so would represent as big a failure as last season's.

We walked the division in 2012-13 (in a way we certainly would have been in no position to repeat had we not scrambled clear this time), but it was actually bloody boring. 

I'm serious.  It was a relief to get straight back up and there were some highlights:  coming back from one down with ten men to beat Arbroath 5-1 was good, as was winning the Challenge Cup by overcoming the top two in the division above, as well as Rangers.

However week on week, as wins piled up in mismatches where we often weren't even that great, it got tedious as Hell.  

You'll find yourselves nodding sagely and politely applauding from your seat as the inevitable unfolds.  

The sleadgehammer to crack a nut approach is probably wise and necessary to make the exile short.  Don't expect to have much fun though.  Only OF types could really enjoy it.

With McKinnon though, you never know.  You might get lucky and make heavy weather of it, thus lending your season some interest.

You have far too much time on your hands. Not sure what's worse you taking the time to type that out or me actually reading all of it. 

You badly need your hole!

2 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

You have far too much time on your hands. Not sure what's worse you taking the time to type that out or me actually reading all of it. 

You badly need your hole!

A perfect example of what I was on about yesterday.

Falkirk really should skoosh the League with these recent signings.  Not doing so would represent as big a failure as last season's.
The sleadgehammer to crack a nut approach is probably wise and necessary to make the exile short.  Don't expect to have much fun though.  Only OF types could really enjoy it.
With McKinnon however, you never know.  You might get lucky and make heavy weather of it, thus lending your season some interest.

I agree with this
In the event that we do scoosh has this league it will still have been a turgid waste of a season.
Impossible to get excited for league games against the likes of Stranraer or Peterhead.

I agree with this
In the event that we do scoosh has this league it will still have been a turgid waste of a season.
Impossible to get excited for league games against the likes of Stranraer or Peterhead.
Its easy to get caught up. I only went to the last game of the season to vent my spleen having accepted relegation already. Still turned into a match of genuine excitement even if I never believed we would get a reprieve. That said, I do agree with you that even if we were to romp, its never going to feel like anything other than a season wasted getting back to where we think we should be. It will be hard to get enthusiastic about basically trying to fix a colossal f**k up.

10 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I agree with this

after the last few years im just looking forward to Falkirk winning some games...Particularly as my son has started coming and its been dire,. Will be good for him to experience more goals, more wins and enjoy it each Saturday instead of me having to convince him to come along

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I agree with this

We are in this league because we deserve to be there. The danger is complacency that feeds from the fans to the players who think we just turn up and go through the motions and the win will come. Lets see how we get on at Stranraer and Peterhead in a midweek winter game with a gale blowing off the sea. Teams in this league are fine community clubs and support that are just as passionate about their teams as we are. Many grounds are tight little bearpits that we will have to fight and work to get a result. 

11 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I agree with this

The buzz will come back when you see Falkirk doing well. 

I think every fan goes through this deflated stage when they feel their team is in a shite league. There’s plenty competition in league one to get your heart racing again. 

3 hours ago, P475 said:

Tbh, you’d be better with ElBak. 

Hippo was the most frustrating player I’ve seen at EEP for a long time. I was delighted when we parted ways. 

The laddie finds it almost impossible to stay on side. ElBak will score you a shed lot of goals in league one, where hippo will put your frustration levels through the roof. 

If it's a choice of one of either Hippo or EL Bak with our 2yr contracts, it's Hippo everytime for me. Hippo at least has proven himself a league up as a wide player whereas EL Bak has failed.

As for skooshing the league, on paper we don't have a full squad as of yet and running with a smaller squad could hit us with injuries and suspensions. Our managers approach is the thing that could hinder us, you can sign the best 11 in the league and fuk it up with tactics and formations

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
26 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I agree with this

Its easy to get caught up. I only went to the last game of the season to vent my spleen having accepted relegation already. Still turned into a match of genuine excitement even if I never believed we would get a reprieve. 

Yes, but that was a ding-dong game against the League Champions that would only have needed an Ayr goal against Alloa to be significant.

The point is that next season, you'll be playing against smaller clubs with far fewer resources, and you should win the title comfortably, meaning no individual match will have high stakes in itself.  

It'll be harder to get "caught up" in those circumstances.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We are in this league because we deserve to be there. The danger is complacency that feeds from the fans to the players who think we just turn up and go through the motions and the win will come. Lets see how we get on at Stranraer and Peterhead in a midweek winter game with a gale blowing off the sea. Teams in this league are fine community clubs and support that are just as passionate about their teams as we are. Many grounds are tight little bearpits that we will have to fight and work to get a result. 

You keep mentioning this community club stuff. It's completely meaningless, a soundbite beloved of the Craig Campbell's of this world. Every club in the world is in a community, therefore a "community club". It has absolutely zero impact on what happens on the pitch. And I haven't seen one Falkirk supporter claiming we are going to walk the league, so your argument about fan complacency feeding through to the players is equally redundant. If the team we have play to their ability, we should be looking to win this league with a bit of spare. If we cannot have some expectations this season, it really is time to shut the doors. No-one thinks it's a given, especially when we still have in charge a manager who thought he could draw his way to safety last season. He's the biggest concern.