The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's going to be Denny Johnstone, isn't it.

FFS.

If it is Denny Johnstone, he's got to be given a chance.  He's been unlucky with injuries time and time again, but his ability isn't in question.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
13 minutes ago, GaryDoug said:
Looking back over his signings at his previous clubs doesn't exactly fill you with confidence when it comes to forwards to be fair. He's got a soft spot for Aiden Connoly and other than getting Mikkelsen on loan at Utd and Rudden on loan at us, he's far more miss than hit.

Hoping to f**k he gets it right this time.

He surely took Longridge and Hardie to Raith too didnt he? Longridge didnt score many granted, but thats a player who we know and most of us liked and would love to have again. Hardie speaks for himself.

Hardie and Longridge were both loan players. He seems good at picking up players on loan. Most of the time, anyway. Maybe that network he was talking about, I dunno. 

7 minutes ago, lewfal said:

Longridge, Hardie and brought through Lewis Vaughan

Lewis Vaughan made his debut 3 seasons before McKinnon joined Raith and barely played the season he was the manager, presumably injured.

I think Denny Johnstone is actually quite a good player, just made of weetabix.
And that's the problem. If we're going with a smaller squad to hopefully demolish this thing, we need a stable 20 to 25 goal number 9 I'm afraid.

16 minutes ago, GaryDoug said:

Hardie and Longridge were both loan players. He seems good at picking up players on loan. Most of the time, anyway. Maybe that network he was talking about, I dunno. 

Lewis Vaughan made his debut 3 seasons before McKinnon joined Raith and barely played the season he was the manager, presumably injured.

Did his first ACL in a cup game the week before that season began. It was Grant Murray who actually made Vaughan a first team regular for us (as well as Callachan).

Edited by renton

Why are people on here making out like McKinnon is the only manager who can't pick up a good goalscorer?

If a manager was great at finding goalscorers time and time again, then they would manage at the highest level.

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:
15 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:
I think Denny Johnstone is actually quite a good player, just made of weetabix.

And that's the problem. If we're going with a smaller squad to hopefully demolish this thing, we need a stable 20 to 25 goal number 9 I'm afraid.

Ray's cunning plan is to win the league with twelve 1 nil wins and twenty scoreless draws.

He has an all encompassing knowledge of the player pool. That’s why you pay him £100k a year. 

45 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I understand that signing a good striker is the key, what I dont understand is not waiting till there is a signing before judging, unless you are one of the folk who seemingly believe Ray isnt really arsed if we have anyone to play up front.

I dont know where the knicker wetting line is, but I do know projecting that our strikers are going to be shite before we have even signed them is on the wrong side of it.

I haven't wrote anyone off, just his philosophy of football and previous record of signing the right striker isn't great.

We will be going back to his failure 4-2-3-1 formation, which has failed him at every club

1 minute ago, Branch Ton said:

Ray's cunning plan is to win the league with twelve 1 nil wins and twenty scoreless draws.

He has an all encompassing knowledge of the player pool. That’s why you pay him £100k a year. 

I'm beginning to think the reason he left Morton was to get away from your tedious patter, f**k me your boring.

Did his first ACL in a cup game the week before that season began. It was Grant Murray who actually made Vaughan a first team regular for us (as well as Callachan).
As you are here, tell us your thoughts on Ray, specifically in an attacking sense.

15 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Why are people on here making out like McKinnon is the only manager who can't pick up a good goalscorer?

If a manager was great at finding goalscorers time and time again, then they would manage at the highest level.

Because he's our manager? 

1 minute ago, Rocco said:
6 minutes ago, GaryDoug said:
Because he's our manager? 

Not sure your getting my point

I'm not making out he's the only one, but he's the one we're stuck with. And it's plainly obvious that he's not good enough to coach at a high level. That's why we were relegated to League 1. Haven't missed any of your points, I happen to agree with them. Doesn't make me less worried about his tactics and the way he sets teams up. 

I'm not making out he's the only one, but he's the one we're stuck with. And it's plainly obvious that he's not good enough to coach at a high level. That's why we were relegated to League 1. Haven't missed any of your points, I happen to agree with them. Doesn't make me less worried about his tactics and the way he sets teams up. 
Why not wait and see what we look like? He has signed some good playmakers and wingers, which would suggest he plans on attacking teams

22 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Beware of new owners with multiple business interests. Falkirk Football Club would just be another line on a balance sheet.

There are many motifs why such a company would want to own us.

1. Business plan with 3 , 5 , 10 year objectives. Not unlike what McCann did with Celtic. Transforming the club recovering their investment from profit in the long term then contributing to the holding companies balance sheet. Or alternatively selling up getting an exit bonus having created a profitable company people want driving up the selling price.

2. Dumping ground for debt and running costs from elsewhere. For example loading management costs of the holding company onto Falkirk. The Whyte and Green fiasco at an obscure Glasgow club is a good example.

3. Carpetbagger like Mackin at East Stirlingshire. Extracted every penny they can running the club into the ground. Riding off into the distance with the cash

If it is a business consortium with multiple interests that own us it is unlikely it will end well.

This is the bit that worries me.  Fan ownership would be perfect but this desperation to get rid of MSG at any cost is worrying. Be careful what you wish for.

There are much worse things which could happen to the club than owners who are a bit trigger happy on the old social media posts.

6 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Kevin O’Hara on trial at Hamilton. Very surprised if he lands on his feet up there considering he’s absolute guff.

They must be desperate . First the boy fae Camelon Juniors whose was playing in a shit awful league and now O'Hara who couldnt kick his own arse. 

Our saving grace this season is that you don't have to be exactly brilliant to score goals in league one.

Bobby Linn, El Bak, Craig Moore, Andy Ryan, Greig Spence are all pish and yet have scored goals for fun at league one level. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

7 minutes ago, Rocco said:
10 minutes ago, GaryDoug said:

Why not wait and see what we look like? He has signed some good playmakers and wingers, which would suggest he plans on attacking teams

He's played the same way at every club he's managed. I guess he could change, after being a defensive manager and getting us relegated last season? I'm not hiding my breath though.