The Falkirk FC Thread

I reckon if we had got someone else in last year we wouldn't be in league one . In saying that we're stuck with him at the moment and signings so far have been promising.  Anything other than 1st this season though and he needs to be punted.
I'm not sure I agree with that. There wasn't a great amount of managers who we could have got/wanted, and not one makes me think they would have done any better. I personally think our signings last summer doomed us.

I think he deserves this window and a chance to get his own team in, however, if we're not performing then he needs to go. This is his last chance with us.

I'm not being funny, but when he did play 2 up top near the end of last season, it didn't work and we conceded goals.

He knows he has to win the league this season, and the only way to do that, is to win as many games as you can. Looking at the squad he has assembled so far, I'd say it's looking like a team that will create chances. He's got wingers and midfielders that can create opportunities. I'd be more concerned if he was signing up 3 or 4 defensive midfielders.

Since you clearly don't like McKinnon, I'll ask you this. If we changed manager would we have anywhere near the quality we have brought in so far? I'd say no. Most of these players have mentioned that they've enjoyed working with Ray and that helped their decision.
I am not saying I don't like McKinnon, I am merely saying that he is a defensive, cautious manager and this is his first priority.

I am willing to give him a chance, but anything other than attacking football with plenty of goals in league one won't wash.

I am not saying I don't like McKinnon, I am merely saying that he is a defensive, cautious manager and this is his first priority.

I am willing to give him a chance, but anything other than attacking football with plenty of goals in league one won't wash.
That I agree with

21 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. There wasn't a great amount of managers who we could have got/wanted, and not one makes me think they would have done any better. I personally think our signings last summer doomed us.

I think he deserves this window and a chance to get his own team in, however, if we're not performing then he needs to go. This is his last chance with us.

Personally I'd have gone for Goodwin. Would've hurt Alloa as well which would've been a bonus and he'd have cost us a lot less into the bargain.  Not surprised he's now got a job in the top flight.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Since you clearly don't like McKinnon, I'll ask you this. If we changed manager would we have anywhere near the quality we have brought in so far? I'd say no. Most of these players have mentioned that they've enjoyed working with Ray and that helped their decision.

Worth remembering that barring a 4th place finish with Brechin and a 3 month purple patch with us Ray has done nothing in management, unless you’re counting junior football. Many of our players at the time really enjoyed working under Gary Locke... so that in itself doesn’t count for much. With your budget I’d say most decent manger could have brought in a squad on a par with what Ray has brought in. Looks to me a fairly standard ‘lower-mid championship’ squad.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Signing the players can be the easy bit. Moulding them into an effective and winning football team is where coaching, tactics and man management comes in.

It's about time we had a team and some players that got you on your feet every time they got the ball. Remember that great anticipation when the likes of McAllister and Stainrod were on the ball. Nothing to touch that intake of breath as you awaited a bit of magic.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Lets hope to god thats all they are.

To be fair to Yogi he got the academy working and producing talent and he played them. Kept us in the premier league and took us to a cup final. Great player and had success as our manager. It was a shame it all went sour in the end for him.

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

To be fair to Yogi he got the academy working and producing talent and he played them. Kept us in the premier league and took us to a cup final. Great player and had success as our manager. It was a shame it all went sour in the end for him.

He's had his day in management now. To me his head got too big and filled with getting jobs in England instead of carrying on the job he was doing the way he was doing it.  There was also no need for all the shenangians when he left which left a shadow over that period of relative success.  His disastrous spell at raith seems to have killed his future chances in management.

20 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Yogi is a great manager with someone else's team.  Once we has to build his own you're fucked.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Yogi is a great manager with someone else's team.  Once we has to build his own you're fucked.

His recruitment was always pretty good with us, he unearthed gems from down south and always used the loan market well. His trouble was ditching that plan and started to sign has beens (McCann, Jackie Mac, Etc) on absolute fortunes in his final season.

He's had his day in management now. To me his head got too big and filled with getting jobs in England instead of carrying on the job he was doing the way he was doing it.  There was also no need for all the shenangians when he left which left a shadow over that period of relative success.  His disastrous spell at raith seems to have killed his future chances in management.

Have a fair amount of sympathy for Yogi at us. He had to work with the utter gubbins Locke had brought in and it’s clear the players were just against him from day one, with a good few just downing tools in games/not listening to his instructions from the sidelines. There was one game he was screaming at Declan McManus to drop deeper and he was pretending not to hear or being deliberately non compliant. He came in with a “these boys need a boot us the arse” attitude (they did!) but the players just closed ranks. Locke had been a soft touch and they didn’t respond to the stick.

4 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

His recruitment was always pretty good with us, he unearthed gems from down south and always used the loan market well. His trouble was ditching that plan and started to sign has beens (McCann, Jackie Mac, Etc) on absolute fortunes in his final season.

Yeah don't give him any kind of budget as he will spunk it on utter shite like Dani Lopez and Nat Wedderburn.  I'm surprised we didn't go down in 2016 and not 2017 with the shite we had in the squad.