The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, BairnNecessity said:

See I disagree with this as although everyone wants us to produce our own youngsters we've also done quite well picking players up when they are released for the old firm.

Murray Wallace, Conor Mcgrandles and Daryll Duffy were all at Rangers before us.

Mark Millar from Celtic.

There are players there to be cherry picked with the right scouting and encouragement. We've shown in years to be a good club to come develop and get yourself to a better level.(Will Vaulks, Luke Leahy, Lyle Taylor all I believe were Pressleys signings) Jamie Lindsays a shining example Ross County picked him up on a free and he was easily one of the best players in the championship last year and is linked with a move down south this summer.

100%.

Mark Millar was the one I was thinking.

The loan signings numbers have been forced slightly by our inability to sign anyone decent permanently in the summer windows. 
That may be so, but I dont think theres any doubt that loans are becoming more and more prevalent. I guess someone woild be able to provide stats and I think they would back me up.

You are of course right in terms of numbers for us in the recent past, but I believe that the difference makers for a team like us in the future is more and more going to come from loans.

See I disagree with this as although everyone wants us to produce our own youngsters we've also done quite well picking players up when they are released for the old firm.

Murray Wallace, Conor Mcgrandles and Daryll Duffy were all at Rangers before us.

Mark Millar from Celtic.

There are players there to be cherry picked with the right scouting and encouragement. We've shown in years to be a good club to come develop and get yourself to a better level.(Will Vaulks, Luke Leahy, Lyle Taylor all I believe were Pressleys signings) Jamie Lindsays a shining example Ross County picked him up on a free and he was easily one of the best players in the championship last year and is linked with a move down south this summer.

Wallace and Mcgrandles wouldnt have ended up at us without us having an academy.  We don't have any format for young players of 15 or 16 to play in at the moment. Millar and Duffy signed for us when we were in the championship. You're not going to get guys of that standard wanting to play in league one.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That may be so, but I dont think theres any doubt that loans are becoming more and more prevalent. I guess someone woild be able to provide stats and I think they would back me up.

You are of course right in terms of numbers for us in the recent past, but I believe that the difference makers for a team like us in the future is more and more going to come from loans.

The problem is continuity and of course commitment at times.  Rudden was a perfect example of a decent loan. deal .Young boy wanting game time. However, you then have your Habers who can't be arsed playing for a poor team at a lower level. It is  a way of bringing in a better player than you can normally afford but has to be tempered. I think we'll see less loan signings this season as we're in league one and its not so easy to get the level of player you want to come down to that level.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Wallace and Mcgrandles wouldnt have ended up at us without us having an academy.  We don't have any format for young players of 15 or 16 to play in at the moment. Millar and Duffy signed for us when we were in the championship. You're not going to get guys of that standard wanting to play in league one.

You are though it's all about selling the fact they are going to play football. Realistically we aim to be down here for 1 season the players aren't stupid they all fully expect us to be up in the championship next year which is why they're all signing 2 year deals. You offer a youngster the chance of regular first team football and a 2 year deal when they've just been released from a premier league club then I highly doubt they'll bother about the difference between league 1 and the championship. If they are that good they should stick out like a sore thumb in league 1 and maybe even get themselves a deal after that year. 

Craig Halkett is the current high water mark in terms of hoovering up higher level dropouts which shows it is possible.

You are though it's all about selling the fact they are going to play football. Realistically we aim to be down here for 1 season the players aren't stupid they all fully expect us to be up in the championship next year which is why they're all signing 2 year deals. You offer a youngster the chance of regular first team football and a 2 year deal when they've just been released from a premier league club then I highly doubt they'll bother about the difference between league 1 and the championship. If they are that good they should stick out like a sore thumb in league 1 and maybe even get themselves a deal after that year. 

The likes of McGrandles and Wallace came to  us when they were 15/16. You can't expect to shove them into the first team in a league like league one and expect them to win you the league ffs .  They were put into the academy first and then brought through.   Without the academy and perhaps even no reserve team how are these players going to progress if they aren't playing competitive football regularly?Mark Millar was 22 when he signed for us and had already played top flight football in Hungary. With clubs after him he would never have chosen a league one side.  Daryl Duffy was 20 when he signed. Other clubs were after him including clubs abroad. Do you really think having been at loan and done well at Brechin in the championship he would've gone to a league one side?

Again nobody's naive enough to think that every player released from Rangers or Celtic are going to be a good signing as for every mark millar there's a jason marr or ross perry but there's young players there to be looked at. Raith fans on here have been ranting and raving about this Regan Hendry who they signed as he was released from Celtic, now i've only watched him once so for all I know he could be gash but he's just went from Celtic to Raith Rovers proving my point that players will sign for league 1 clubs if they know they'll play.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Craig Halkett is the current high water mark in terms of hoovering up higher level dropouts which shows it is possible.

Again Halkett signed for Livi in the championship not league one.  I'm all for that type of signing once we get out this league but you're going to find it very difficult to encourage young talent to sign when your in league one.

Thankfully Livingston proved that the right blend of this type of player and style can succeed. Just need to hope that its all part of a plan and not just old pals that are available.
Livingston proved that a young hungry team with something to prove on extremely low wages but believing in a managers vision that will take them where they want to get to in their careers can succeed.

In my opinion what Falkirk are doing is almost the exact opposite of that. Signing mostly experienced players on increased wages and multiple year contracts just to get them through the door. Their motivations in football and in life will be completely different to livingston's although that's not to say they won't have a successful season.

There's definitely a couple of signings in there for me that are probably licking their lips at one last big pay day (in lower league Scottish football terms) and if you get even one too many of them in your squad then disaster can strike as proven by me supporting a club who signed Gary O'connor and Nacho Novo in the same season.

7 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

Again nobody's naive enough to think that every player released from Rangers or Celtic are going to be a good signing as for every mark millar there's a jason marr or ross perry but there's young players there to be looked at. Raith fans on here have been ranting and raving about this Regan Hendry who they signed as he was released from Celtic, now i've only watched him once so for all I know he could be gash but he's just went from Celtic to Raith Rovers proving my point that players will sign for league 1 clubs if they know they'll play.

He's just come back from a major knee op.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

He's just come back from a major knee op.

My last point on this matter. Where did Lawrence Shankland end up after being released by Aberdeen? Ayr, in what division? If you give a youngster the right encouragement ie promise him game time to develop and better himself he'll sign for you.

9 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

exactly this.  I know for a fact this was also the case with Charlie Telfer as his dad is a friend of our family(my old mans originally from Lanark).  Telfer said the stadium, facilities and support were a big factor in him moving to Falkirk..he had a few offers(nothing concrete though) from teams in Championship but he didn't think it was an issue we were are in league one. 

Appreciate he isn't Premier League quality you are talking about but just highlighting the fact that League standing isn't always the big factor many see to think.  Obviously if we're stuck down here next year then it might be, but for now I don't think many players will be counting us out of their future plans if offered the chance.

54 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Tidser being the only one turning down championship football, but in footballing terms, what has he done to be classed as playing significantly below his level ?

The only confirmed offer for Tidser was from Morton.

As For Telfer, he is more famous for his 200,000 cost from Rangers than his football, then jumping club to club, this being his 6th at the age of 23.

If either had real genuine interest, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be here.

Well, I took in the first leg of Raith Rovers (upper half L1), and QotS (rank rotten Championship). The gap in quality between the two was a bit of an eye opener tbh. Queens midfield had no-one remotely close to Tidser, yet they absolutely tore Raith to shreds, and dominated all over the park.