The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Yep. I agree with you.

The players signed may be good enough to get us out of this league....if hungry enough to care that is. I do not doubt they have ability.

Personally, I’d rather see a few younger up and coming players in that mix, with real desire to push on to the next level rather than another set of journeymen.

It’s looking to me that we’re now in this ever revolving circle of a host of new faces each window for the next few years unless we change our ways.

RMcK is coming across to me as old school and not progressive, but I’ll be more than delighted to be proved wrong.....

To me most of the players we are signing at the moment would be fine for a squad in the championship.  Yes there are players that wont be good enough to start but once you're up and have a bigger budget to spend then you can add additions of better quality to the squad we already have. AT least if we have the basis of a squad next season to build on it shoukld prevent us having to bring in another 15 or 16 players.

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'd say virtually all the players we have signed would be comfortable playing in the bottom half of the championship at least. They're certainly a cut above the majority of players cutting about in league one just now. They've nearly all played top flight football in Scotland and should have more than enough to get us out this league with some more additions of at least that quality and above.

We should be looking at Mutch , Laverty and Dunne to stake a claim to a first team jersey. If they can't then what's the point of having them on the books. Let them go so they can kickstart their career at the appropriate level.

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

We should be looking at Mutch , Laverty and Dunne to stake a claim to a first team jersey. If they can't then what's the point of having them on the books. Let them go so they can kickstart their career at the appropriate level.

Depends on the contracts they were on. We also had to have players for the reserve side last year so they were cheap squad fillers.  I presume they are only on the books due to having contracts or they would've been punted.

It’s looking to me that we’re now in this ever revolving circle of a host of new faces each window for the next few years unless we change our ways.

Hence the two year deals you fuckn doughball.

I really don’t know what you are expecting, we’re in league one. Last year we were all buzzing because the signing approach had change and we were bringing in “up and coming” players from down south. Look how well that turned out.

Signing mid-table championship players is absolutely the way to go currently. Get us out of league one and then to resolidify our place in the championship and build from there.

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Mutch I agree should be fighting for a starting spot this season. Laverty I think is just still there out of good faith until he's fully recovered from his injury, then again i've never seen him play so I could be being incredible harsh on him there. Dunne's a mystery, looked a right good prospect when he came into the team. Quick, direct and could take a man on. Seemed to be getting assists near enough every reserve game last year(I know thestandards not the best) but he never got a sniff of first team action which is strange considering how shite we were.

17 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

We saw how that worked out last year 

The answer is obviously having the right mix. we seem to be getting a core of experienced players for the first team which I agree with but I'd be concerned if we continued that policy for the players on the bench/fringes of the squad. 

We need a blend of experience and promising youth to stop this cycle of gutting the team every 6 months.

5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

The answer is obviously having the right mix. we seem to be getting a core of experienced players for the first team which I agree with but I'd be concerned if we continued that policy for the players on the bench/fringes of the squad. 

We need a blend of experience and promising youth to stop this cycle of gutting the team every 6 months.

The problem is where are you going to get your promising youths in league one when you don't have an academy. Any decent young prospects are hardly going to come to us.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The problem is where are you going to get your promising youths in league one when you don't have an academy. Any decent young prospects are hardly going to come to us.

Agreed, got to hope that's first on the list for the new owners.

Wonder how many loanees we are looking at this season. Attracting decent ones could make or break us, which is the other thing we need to remember for both this and next season aside from the signings.

Loanees were our best players in the last probably two seasons, and had a massive hand in keeping the other clubs up (Zanatta, Anderson, Kiltie et al) last season. Its such a crucial market now and a huge litmus test for Ray trying to get decent ones into this league.

You could argue the best we have been since we came down from the premier league was the Houston season we finished second, and only had Danny Rogers as a loan player.

I’d much prefer a full squad of signed players with the odd loanee.

You could argue the best we have been since we came down from the premier league was the Houston season we finished second, and only had Danny Rogers as a loan player.

I’d much prefer a full squad of signed players with the odd loanee.
Aye I agree with that totally. The last cpuple of seasons thpugh theres no escaping it. Jak and Nelson the standouts for Hartley, Rudden, DKD and Burgoyne for Ray. Sadly even for clubs bigger than ours it seems the loan market with the bigger teams carrying ever increasing pools is becoming the only way to get real talent in. Its a reality that to succeed at our level you have to utilise the loan market well. At its current level id say its a fairly new phenomemon but lets not forget a lot of us here bemoaned Housties lack of ingenuity in this regard.

59 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Tidser and Telfer are the only two who are now playing at a level significantly below their ability, and we are going to need a few more of those to power our way out of L1.

Tidser being the only one turning down championship football, but in footballing terms, what has he done to be classed as playing significantly below his level ?

The only confirmed offer for Tidser was from Morton.

As For Telfer, he is more famous for his 200,000 cost from Rangers than his football, then jumping club to club, this being his 6th at the age of 23.

If either had real genuine interest, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be here.

Tidser being the only one turning down championship football, but in footballing terms, what has he done to be classed as playing significantly below his level ?
The only confirmed offer for Tidser was from Morton.
As For Telfer, he is more famous for his 200,000 cost from Rangers than his football, then jumping club to club, this being his 6th at the age of 23.
If either had real genuine interest, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be here.

Thankfully Livingston proved that the right blend of this type of player and style can succeed. Just need to hope that its all part of a plan and not just old pals that are available.

29 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

See I disagree with this as although everyone wants us to produce our own youngsters we've also done quite well picking players up when they are released from the old firm.

Murray Wallace, Conor Mcgrandles and Daryll Duffy were all at Rangers before us.

Mark Millar from Celtic.

There are players there to be cherry picked with the right scouting and encouragement. We've shown in years to be a good club to come develop and get yourself to a better level.(Will Vaulks, Luke Leahy, Lyle Taylor all I believe were Pressleys signings) Jamie Lindsays a shining example Ross County picked him up on a free and he was easily one of the best players in the championship last year and is linked with a move down south this summer.

Edited by BairnNecessity

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye I agree with that totally. The last cpuple of seasons thpugh theres no escaping it. Jak and Nelson the standouts for Hartley, Rudden, DKD and Burgoyne for Ray. Sadly even for clubs bigger than ours it seems the loan market with the bigger teams carrying ever increasing pools is becoming the only way to get real talent in. Its a reality that to succeed at our level you have to utilise the loan market well. At its current level id say its a fairly new phenomemon but lets not forget a lot of us here bemoaned Housties lack of ingenuity in this regard.

The loan signings numbers have been forced slightly by our inability to sign anyone decent permanently in the summer windows.