The Falkirk FC Thread

48 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

Steven McGarry
Sammy McGivern

Stumped.

Seeing Sam McGivern's name got me harking back to better times and how he, with Simon Stainrod's guidance, probably had the best spell of his footballing career with us in terms of games played / goals scored. Others that seemed to fall into this category are Gerry McCoy (1st time with us), John Whiteford, John Baird, Farid El Alagui, Rory Loy (1st time) Scott Crabbe, Lyle Taylor,Collin Samuel, Richie Cadette. Who have I missed? Of course, we also had some dumplings - Jimmy Jack, Ken Eadie readily spring to mind. Who else?

I was concerned by the news but I took the board at their word that the academy was costing too much and that their alternative plan would provide us with a stream of players just below the first team.

Turns out this was extremely poorly executed and we've been left in League 1 with 5 players.

I would 100% support getting the academy back, even if it's to be at the second tier of Project Brave.

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Aaron Jarvis and I wouldn't be against him returning either. I thought he was starting to form a good partnership with Rudden toward the end of the season and I think he would do well in League 1. Plenty of future development potential too.

I hope not, a striker that looks like he would never score or create for others, he also wanted an age on the ball and often choose the wrong ball when he eventually released the ball.

21yr old and two career goals against u21 teams doesn't strike me as great potential.

4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Seeing Sam McGivern's name got me harking back to better times and how he, with Simon Stainrod's guidance, probably had the best spell of his footballing career with us in terms of games played / goals scored. Others that seemed to fall into this category are Gerry McCoy (1st time with us), John Whiteford, John Baird, Farid El Alagui, Rory Loy (1st time) Scott Crabbe, Lyle Taylor,Collin Samuel, Richie Cadette. Who have I missed? Of course, we also had some dumplings - Jimmy Jack, Ken Eadie readily spring to mind. Who else?

Ken Eadie was no dumpling, just unfortunate that our style of play at that time was not suited to his game.

11 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Darryl Duffy

Edited by Falkirkfan1985

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I was concerned by the news but I took the board at their word that the academy was costing too much and that their alternative plan would provide us with a stream of players just below the first team.

Turns out this was extremely poorly executed and we've been left in League 1 with 5 players.

I would 100% support getting the academy back, even if it's to be at the second tier of Project Brave.

Chance of being in project Brave has been and gone now mate. We've missed that boat. If we want to start back up we'll have to fund it 100% ourselves.  Another reason why it was a terrible decision.

Chance of being in project Brave has been and gone now mate. We've missed that boat. If we want to start back up we'll have to fund it 100% ourselves.  Another reason why it was a terrible decision.

I’d rather run an academy separate from Project Brave. Just keep working with the Falkirk foundation with slight tweaks to the current format and there’s your academy.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
3 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

Got told over the weekend we’ve signed two strikers, although wouldn’t give names however neither are Goodwillie. Anyone know who they might be?

Initial S McG one of them

Scorey McGoals ?

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Was still willing to play part time though.  He's got a scouting job with chelsea now and can't commit to a full time playing contract.

Ah didn’t know about the scouting job good on him.

16 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Was still willing to play part time though.  He's got a scouting job with chelsea now and can't commit to a full time playing contract.

Not denying he was willing to go part time but if so why did he not wait for offers then before retiring? I'm sure there would of been plenty of teams willing to offer him a part time contract.

1 minute ago, FalkirkLad said:

Not denying he was willing to go part time but if so why did he not wait for offers then before retiring? I'm sure there would of been plenty of teams willing to offer him a part time contract.

He was offered to Alloa but they weren't interested.   Wasn't really interested in somewhere out the way either like a Montrose or a Peterhead.  It wasn't something he was desperate to do but was willing to play for the right club in the right circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Might be ok in league one but couldn't score for toffee in the championship.  Was not at all surprised when he got the heave from Luton.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

I hope not, a striker that looks like he would never score or create for others, he also wanted an age on the ball and often choose the wrong ball when he eventually released the ball.

21yr old and two career goals against u21 teams doesn't strike me as great potential.

How many clear cut chances did he have though? It's not as if he was Dennon Lewis levels of shit, he would have buried that chance that Lewis ran away from for example. I think he would be good at doing the donkey work for a main striker and could improve with the right coaching.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

How many clear cut chances did he have though? It's not as if he was Dennon Lewis levels of shit, he would have buried that chance that Lewis ran away from for example. I think he would be good at doing the donkey work for a main striker and could improve with the right coaching.

He didn't score one single goal and that's the only stat I'd really care about.