The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, lewfal said:

With regard to Buchanan, whilst he's unproven to be "premier league" quality, he has been involved in two promotion winning campaigns with St Mirren and Livingston (albeit transferred from one to the other in the same season).  He has certainly proven that he is capable of holding his own in a promotion winning team.  That's the sort of experience we need IMO

This. Not having this pish from Morton fans saying he was a 1/10 when he was involved in back to back promotions the two seasons prior. Think he'll breeze league 1 and be a solid squad player in the championship.

I thought Connoly would have been a much better player for Dunfermline than he turned out to be but, as I'm sure their fans will agree, you could say that about most of their signings last year. McKinnon is the manager to have gotten the best out of him in the past so hopefully he can get him back on track.
So we're now at

GK

RB Buchanan CB LB

Paton McShane

McLean Tidser Connolly

ST

Assuming Mutch, Dunne and Laverty will be fringe options and McGhee, Robson and Dixon are still to decide one way or the other we've got some work to do up front and in goals.
Cammy Bells career has gone off the tracks big time but I'd take him unless he's on wild wages. No idea about strikers at all.
if McGhee Dixon Robson resign I'd be very happy with that back 4.

Paton (second half of his tenure with us) and mcshane should do well enough

wasn't happy at all with McLean last season however the old caveat is that he should look better in a lower league....don't know Connelly well enough. happy with tidser.

so goalie required, couple of strikers and 3 or 4 back ups (or straight in) for defence and midfield

5 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

This. Not having this pish from Morton fans saying he was a 1/10 when he was involved in back to back promotions the two seasons prior. Think he'll breeze league 1 and be a solid squad player in the championship.

Hoping it's more a case of being shite because of where he was, bit like Aiden Connolly. Couldn't have been easy being a winger in a team with no strikers for most of the season. 

We'll find out soon enough. 

Morton fans coming in when we sign a player [emoji38]
They've just signed an absolute diddy up top and a winger who has been relegated two seasons in a row with Brechin, couldn't make it up :thumsup2
Morton fans slag Falkirk and Falkirk fans slag Morton. I for one am completely shocked at this development.

How the times have changed, Falkirk signing our cast offs! 

I was quite excited when we signed Connolly but he never really lived upto the hype, didn't have the pace of trickery to play as a winger at championship level however he may get away with it down here, felt that he'd rather play as a 10 but didn't really influence the game much when played there. He hits a good free kick albeit he never scored one for us, he came very close quite allot.

A signing I'd imagine will be absolutely fine at league 1 level. 

He played 18 games combined for both teams and was released by both of then. He did absolutely stroll through games on the bench to be fair.

9 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

on another note, I see former player Andy Thomson is ast coach with Scotland women's at the world cup (think it's the same Andy Thomson anyways)

Yes, I noticed that during the game against England but thought I`d been mistaken until he appeared on telly doing an interview..still looks like he did when he played with us!!

6 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

if McGhee Dixon Robson resign I'd be very happy with that back 4.

Paton (second half of his tenure with us) and mcshane should do well enough

wasn't happy at all with McLean last season however the old caveat is that he should look better in a lower league....don't know Connelly well enough. happy with tidser.

so goalie required, couple of strikers and 3 or 4 back ups (or straight in) for defence and midfield

Agreed all round, I think we'll run with a much smaller squad this year.

If those players resign and we get a decent striker and keeper in who can also be considered championship level then I'd be happy with us supplementing the squad with loans/youth etc. Get a decent base of a team that we won't need to rip up in a years time with some (less expensive) potential on the fringes.

I don’t know too much about Connolly but if I’ve learned anything over the past few seasons it’s to judge players once they played for us and not on their past.

Also, sad to see Tom Taiwo retire. A hard, fighter in midfield who I feel we missed when he left. Not great on the ball but definitely done the dirty work in our side.

37 minutes ago, lewfal said:

With regard to Buchanan, whilst he's unproven to be "premier league" quality, he has been involved in two promotion winning campaigns with St Mirren and Livingston (albeit transferred from one to the other in the same season).  He has certainly proven that he is capable of holding his own in a promotion winning team.  That's the sort of experience we need IMO

Please remember that Hippo was also part of that St Mirren team and we all know how excellent he is. Connolly will be fine for league one but does fly in the face of Ray saying he was building a team to get promoted to the premiership. On the flip side I would imagine this is Connolly's last spin at full time football so he might come good.

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Please remember that Hippo was also part of that St Mirren team and we all know how excellent he is. Connolly will be fine for league one but does fly in the face of Ray saying he was building a team to get promoted to the premiership. On the flip side I would imagine this is Connolly's last spin at full time football so he might come good.

He said that literally an hour after getting relegated, I'd tip he wouldn't say the same thing now. 

Guest Ecosse83
9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Aidan Connolly is shite fellas, nae luck.

edit - Just seen it's a two-year deal :lol: Ruins the "he'll be ok for L1" argument. Strange signing as Tidser and Buchanan seemed solid additions.

Hopefully the manager can get him back to the form he was in when he had him at Raith.