The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Take it that McKinnon will be manager next season? Honestly cannot believe he's not been binned after saying he'd have taken being near the bottom of The Championship with a couple of games to go, incredible statement that. On the other hand we've a pretty decent record against him.

Especially when he was at yenitit.

If we don't start off well, he will be gone before the clocks go back.

He needs to get us up first time or he's gone. He will have biggest budget, so no excuses

28 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Big budget is one thing but who wants to play in the first division?

Make no mistake...the most important thing in a players contract is how much they are getting paid.

I expect we will be able to better what’s on offer at every Championship club apart from the Dundee clubs and possibly ICT so what league we are in shouldn’t affect us too much. 

There’s no reason why we can’t build a side more than capable of winning this league once we’ve sorted the issue in the boardroom 

Big budget is one thing but who wants to play in the first division?
At the level we're aiming at what matters is the money going into the bank. A player isn't going to take less just so he can say he's playing a division above

Make no mistake...the most important thing in a players contract is how much they are getting paid.
I expect we will be able to better what’s on offer at every Championship club apart from the Dundee clubs and possibly ICT so what league we are in shouldn’t affect us too much. 
There’s no reason why we can’t build a side more than capable of winning this league IF WE SORT the issue in the boardroom 

Sorted it for you

If Lex Miller wasn't being a knobhead I'd be shocked.
Some people are born knobheads and fundamentally unlikeable.

The best description of Lex that I’ve heard is that if he lived in a village full of idiots he would still be the village idiot.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Sorted it for you

The silence from the board suggests to me their reign is over, if not they’d have the begging bowl out by now looking for season ticket money. 

Im confident they will be gone this week

2 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

There’s no reason why we can’t build a side more than capable of winning this league once we’ve sorted the issue in the boardroom 

Money is important but just as important is the short playing career of 8- 12 years 4 - 5 years at your peak if you are lucky.  Players want to play at the highest level they can, be challenged and become better players because of that. We have to realise Falkirk will be well down the list of players looking for a club, simply we are not an attractive club to sign for any more. The days of Will Vaulks knocking on our door because of the clubs name are gone and unlikely to come back anytime soon. Reality check. We need a few old pros. Take a chance on some players coming back from injury Rory Loy was a good example. Some grafters and throw in Laverty and Dunne. Squad of 17-18 get promoted and then take stock of what we have. If we have 5 -7 that are going to be good enough to challenge for the premier league we will have done well.

Money is important but just as important is the short playing career of 8- 12 years 4 - 5 years at your peak if you are lucky.  Players want to play at the highest level they can, be challenged and become better players because of that. We have to realise Falkirk will be well down the list of players looking for a club, simply we are not an attractive club to sign for any more. The days of Will Vaulks knocking on our door because of the clubs name are gone and unlikely to come back anytime soon. Reality check. We need a few old pros. Take a chance on some players coming back from injury Rory Loy was a good example. Some grafters and throw in Laverty and Dunne. Squad of 17-18 get promoted and then take stock of what we have. If we have 5 -7 that are going to be good enough to challenge for the premier league we will have done well.
These guys aren't making money that will sort them for life so I'm going to have to disagree with you. If a player is offered a higher wage to play with us, then I'd expect him to pick us over a lower wage at a championship club. Your comment on short playing careers would back this up.

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If the choice comes down to signing for us or Alloa, Arbroath, Morton, Dunfermline, Ayr etc etc the deciding factor will be money...nothing else

I think it’s important to realise that players at Championship level are not earning great money. I would think that earning an extra £100 a week or thereabouts with us would probably be enough for many players to sign in preference to a Championship club.

I think it’s important to realise that players at Championship level are not earning great money. I would think that earning an extra £100 a week or thereabouts with us would probably be enough for many players to sign in preference to a Championship club.
Also taking into consideration win bonuses etc. ( if this is still a thing in players contracts)
Hopefully we will win a hell of a lot more games than the season past.

He pissed off a few months back

Aye?

He was still slithering about the boardroom the last few games of the season and of course he was the one that brokered that deal with Morton.

Delighted if true. He’s a total bellend.

16 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I'd forgotten about that dodgy referee. That final was a disgrace and there have been others like it. 

With the right investment, Leeds could be a massive club again. Like Newcastle, they are the sole club in one of the country's biggest cities.  Ken Bates was Leeds' Mike Ashley. 

Successive Leeds owners have failed to invest enough. Elland Road is looking a bit shabby these days but there is plenty of spare land next to it it for a new stadium.

The current owner bought back the stadium & the Thorpe Arch training ground. from 3rd parties.  I have read he has invested 100M into the club , albeit not really on the  playing squad as Leeds now operate within the FFP requirements.

Unlike Villa who have a wage bill of 90M and which they will have to drop by 30M  if they don't go up , or Derby who are a basket case of a club & their owner bought their stadium off themselves  at twice the value to balance the books.   

The English Championship will be an interesting watch next season now that the FFP is finally being  enforced.  Swansea , Villa/Derby , Sheff Weds, Birmingham (again) all on dodgy ground.   

17 hours ago, Adam101 said:

What you want there is for Leeds to live without their means which if your remember is how they ended up where they are. The prize money they get is huge more than enough to challenge for promotion, which they did this season. Far too many English clubs are reliant on owners who have no interest in football and if things go pear shaped they jump out, this is not a reliable model to build any business on. Small scaling it the Falkirk people are worried that a new board of fan owners might not have the capital to chuck cash at the club, but Falkirk would be in a far better place if the fans owned the club even if it meant sustainable football in League 1. You do not want some rich nutter running your club.

Leeds operated with a small squad  last season and frequently had to promote from the U23 squad to replace a horrendous injury list. Bielsa signed only 2 players last summer but took them from a 15th place finish to 3rd in his first season. 

The prize money if promoted is huge but  you don't get that unless you go up and the TV money from Sky in the Championship is really poor compared to the EPL. Unless you have parachute payments from the EPL  you have to operate within FFP rules apart from the clubs I mentioned in above post who are either reckless or cheating.

Weirdly the 3 best run clubs in terms of income v players wages last season were Norwich , Sheff U & Leeds - & that is how they finished in the league.