The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd wager most clubs outwith the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs boardrooms are full of Rangers and Celtic fans. Incredibly naive to think otherwise.  I'd reckon the directors of those 5 clubs would all be supporters of said club. 

Our own chairman when we won the cup, Kenny Cameron, is a massive Timothee Atouba, as are his sons who I was in school with.

The bigger clubs aren't immune to that either. Leeann Dempster is from a "Rangers daft" family and went to some of their games. Some of the folk who end up investing in clubs (e.g. Farmer, Budge) for community / civic reasons are not football fans at all.

Edited by morrison1982
h-u-n filter

13 hours ago, Senator Frimpton said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, the impression I get from the current custodians is of a group more concerned with the stadium development as a prestige legacy project, and the club's corporate slickness rating or whatever, than they are with the irksome business of having a competitive and forward thinking football strategy.

Not doubting their good intentions for the club, but the severe decline in a football sense over the years tells its own story. 

The proposed fan ownership model is surely the only viable way forward. The major shareholders stay involved, significant funds become available for the playing side of the club and fresh blood in the boardroom.

Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Why would it be a positive to have the major shareholders still involved?

They are acting as an anchor holding back progress and badly needed new investment and ideas, getting them out should be seen as a prime objective of any takeover.

21 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Appreciate this is a wind-up from TheScarf, but just out of interest thought I'd try to put together as good an eleven as I could remember of players who were ex-Celtic then later played for Falkirk (as opposed to Falkirk players who later played for Celtic - Gary Gillespie, Yogi, Stokes, Gordon Marshall, etc).

GK - Michael McGovern

D - Jackie McNamara,  George Connolly, Stephen Pressley, Davie Cattanach

MF -  Stevie Fulton, Mark Millar, Colin Healy

A - Tommy Coyne, Frank McAvennie, Mo Johnston

I'd love to see the same based on Hertz too, although there are a few of them in the Sellick team.

12 hours ago, AGPar said:

Let's see. Nigh on a decade of stagnation and underachievement in the 1st div/championship, culminating in the biggest clusterf**k of a season in the club's history, relegation to the seaside league, all the while treating the supporters with sheer, naked, visceral contempt and an MSG happy to hide behind a couple of idiots as they make one balls-up after another and cost the club an absolute fortune. Thank God they care. I'd hate to see the state we'd be in if they didn't.

Spoken like a true Morton fan.

Scotsman reporting that one of the interested parties in the club failed to show on Tuesday:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/falkirk-in-attempted-buyout-led-by-american-stockbroker-and-could-become-sunderland-feeder-club-with-ex-celtic-chief-in-charge-1-4928162

Same stuff as the sun basically just with the added bit of an interested party failed to show for the meeting.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Why would it be a positive to have the major shareholders still involved?

They are acting as an anchor holding back progress and badly needed new investment and ideas, getting them out should be seen as a prime objective of any takeover.

Sorry I phrased that badly.

I'd rather the major shareholders were gone too, but they're the boys holding, as it were.

The proposed model (effectively a new share issue) keeps all the funds raised in the club, and puts fan representation on the board.

A fan buyout would be preferable but more costly, and new owners an unknown quantity (and quality for that matter).

Here's another thought: with Ritchie's impending stepping down from the board, what happens with his shares and voting rights? If he's selling, is it viable/cost effective for a fan group to buy him out for a significant voice on the board? Or if he's not selling, can his proxy vote be acquired by lobbying from said group? 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:
7 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:
Ok then 'most in demand free agent managers' but choses Morton,  yeah good one!!

His appointment was trending on twitter in the whole of the UK #indemand

Is this what your arguement is based on? mate an egg boiling can trend on twitter. Anyway best of luck Port Ton I guess you guys will see what Hopkins is made of especially as he doesn't have the boy Martindale (think that's his name) working with him. 

1 hour ago, Senator Frimpton said:

Sorry I phrased that badly.

I'd rather the major shareholders were gone too, but they're the boys holding, as it were.

The proposed model (effectively a new share issue) keeps all the funds raised in the club, and puts fan representation on the board.

A fan buyout would be preferable but more costly, and new owners an unknown quantity (and quality for that matter).

Here's another thought: with Ritchie's impending stepping down from the board, what happens with his shares and voting rights? If he's selling, is it viable/cost effective for a fan group to buy him out for a significant voice on the board? Or if he's not selling, can his proxy vote be acquired by lobbying from said group? 

I would think buying out Lex would be the easiest route to get onto the MSG at least.

Is this what your arguement is based on? mate an egg boiling can trend on twitter. Anyway best of luck Port Ton I guess you guys will see what Hopkins is made of especially as he doesn't have the boy Martindale (think that's his name) working with him. 
Pretty happy with the cv of the guy Hopkin has just appointed as his assistant rather than Livi's drug dealer to be fair.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:
1 hour ago, Stuperman01 said:

Pretty happy with the cv of the guy Hopkin has just appointed as his assistant rather than Livi's drug dealer to be fair.

Martindale has been at Livingston for many years regardless of who is the manager. He has been installed by a “third party” to carry out specific duties.

6 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

Couldn't give a flying f**k who our board supports. They are there to do a job and if they do it well I'm not bothered a jot about any personal preferences they have for any club including ours. 

100%

Only becomes and issue when things don’t go so well.

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:
4 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

The lad has an excellent CV as a fitness coach and judging by the state of Hopkin that’s exactly what he needs.