The Falkirk FC Thread

This 2 year plan spoken about with the signings hoped for in the next few weeks being good enough or the potential to be good enough to challenge for the SPL is a big ask.

Players have short footballing careers 10 - 12 years at the best. Those that are available will want to sign for clubs at the highest level where they will get a regular game. 2 seasons in the lower divisions with no guarantee of promotion is going to put them off.

So for the 2 year plan to work it's a mixture of astute signings with a point to prove, players wanting a comeback from injury,  some old hands and if we are lucky a troubled genius that get's us on our feet when he gets the ball.

That job can only start when the club is settled and can give certainty in the marketplace.

This 2 year plan spoken about with the signings hoped for in the next few weeks being good enough or the potential to be good enough to challenge for the SPL is a big ask.
Players have short footballing careers 10 - 12 years at the best. Those that are available will want to sign for clubs at the highest level where they will get a regular game. 2 seasons in the lower divisions with no guarantee of promotion is going to put them off.
So for the 2 year plan to work it's a mixture of astute signings with a point to prove, players wanting a comeback from injury,  some old hands and if we are lucky a troubled genius that get's us on our feet when he gets the ball.
That job can only start when the club is settled and can give certainty in the marketplace.

You have left out money. Not sure why. I am also not sure what kind of money we will offer in relation to other clubs in League 1 and in the Championship but IMO that will be a much bigger factor than the mere face we are in League 1.

Just my opinion but the point you made about the shortness of career is a valid one, which pertains to money much more that what level they played at for most I would think.

If Ray genuinely ends up with a decent budget and can sell a two year plan with decent money, maybe an autimatic uplift on promotion for example, there will be players who will take that chance on the basis of getting a good run at a decent paying club.

Big ??? obviously is what will that budget look like

5 hours ago, Rocco said:
14 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:
Sounds to me like he was going to be kept however now possibly McKinnon has been given positive news re another keeper. Could be completely wrong though.

This is my thinking. Ray probably kept him waiting till he knew if he was getting someone else, which I can only assume he has. If that's what's happened then Mitchell wouldn't be happy regardless of how it was delivered to him

Id have rather kept Mitchell as a back up than having Mutch for next year of which am I correct in thinking we have Mutch for 2 more year

Heyho, here is hoping we dont have to rely on Mutch being between the sticks often next season

5 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Aa long as it’s not that wee hamster faves p***k Lee Robinson.

I wondered if he will be in the the thinking, he is part time and as much as I wouldnt want him, he is a decent keeper but he is better at being a c^nt which the clubs he has been at put up with till he becomes the c^nt even to his own fans

4 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

We either boot him now or stick with him to January. Little point letting him sign players to get rid of him in a month. If we were going to do it, we'd have done it after the County game. Stuck with him until January, unless he's even worse than we imagined and he goes full Hartley. 

McKinnon wont get till January, the knives are sharpened at the moment and he will need to start the season well, if not he it will be Houston or Hartley type abuse in September and bye

We will have the biggest budget in league one and expectation will be high

Wasn’t Mitchell signed by Houston as he wanted us to have two first team goalies competing for number 1 spot? This probably meant he was on a fair decent wage. I’d rather have Mutch playing for the development side and on the bench with 1 strong first team goalie.

Just now, Senor Bairn said:

Wasn’t Mitchell signed by Houston as he wanted us to have two first team goalies competing for number 1 spot? This probably meant he was on a fair decent wage. I’d rather have Mutch playing for the development side and on the bench with 1 strong first team goalie.

I've made the point about wasting a wage on a sub eeper before and someone said we needed to have four so we could have a sub for the reserves!

I've made the point about wasting a wage on a sub eeper before and someone said we needed to have four so we could have a sub for the reserves!

Should have a solid number 1, a young goalie (Mutch) who can play in the reserve side and be on the bench on a Saturday. I’m not sure how it works but surely we’d just nick a goalie from the forth valley sides as someone on the bench for the reserves.

Id say Mitchell can’t really complain about getting the boot, the guys played a handful of games over 2 years and spend most of the time injured. Can’t afford that in league 1.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That was probably me, as I was reporting the thinking of the coaching staff at the club.

This year we went one better. We had five. Mitchell, Fasan, Burgoyne, Mutch and the one that most folk are probably unaware of - Brett Young. He was the backup keeper for the reserves and I think only played twice all season. 

Albeit there were only four keepers at the club at the one time, as Mutch went on loan to Deveronvale in January when Burgoyne came in.

I've no idea what will happen next year or even whether we'll have a reserve team.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

You have left out money. Not sure why. I am also not sure what kind of money we will offer in relation to other clubs in League 1 and in the Championship but IMO that will be a much bigger factor than the mere face we are in League 1.

Just my opinion but the point you made about the shortness of career is a valid one, which pertains to money much more that what level they played at for most I would think.

If Ray genuinely ends up with a decent budget and can sell a two year plan with decent money, maybe an autimatic uplift on promotion for example, there will be players who will take that chance on the basis of getting a good run at a decent paying club.

Big ??? obviously is what will that budget look like

The money bit comes with having certainty and that depends on a settled structure running the club. 

52 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Is Leo fasan being your number 1 a valid reason?

I would have went fasan being a number 2 as he was sh*te ..badaboomtish

As for Mutch am pretty sure Hartley signed him on a 4 (yes Four) year deal, so that mean we have him for 2 and a half more seasons ? 

Its difficult to deliver a fair handed GIRFUY back to someone who has a whole TV channel and rightly popular TV show to use to laugh at you and your club during the bad times. 

Luckily for the Bairns of P&B we inhabit the sites most box office thread. So in ye come @Francesc Fabregas

Colin McMenamins pleas for the team to think of the Navy Blue pound were in vain, and once again we are just a bigger team you will be hoping to draw in the Cups. 

Soz Brother x x x 

Edited by Bairnardo

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its difficult to deliver a fair handed GIRFUY back to someone who has a whole TV channel and rightly popular TV show to use to laugh at you and your club during the bad times. 

Luckily for the Bairns of P&B we inhabit the sites most box office thread. So in ye come @Francesc Fabregas

Colin McMenamins pleas for the team to think of the Navy Blue pound were in vain, and once again we are just a bigger team you will be hoping to draw in the Cups. 

Soz Brother x x x 

I wouldn't call it box office but since r/watchpeopledie got banned I've got to get my car crash fix somewhere. On the bright side you'll be guaranteed to be the second best side in Forth Valley next season.

I went along to Stenny V Annan today for my ‘football fix’ and the standard of football was awful. If we don’t come back up at the first time of asking, just liquidate us. Granted however, some teams in the league will be better than Stenny or Annan.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:57, Sarge Bullman said:

Falkirk getting an absolute shoeing from just about every corner of the country this evening.  

Imagine the laughs from some when the inevitable bankruptcy is announced? 

Carnage

What a shame we've avoided a couple of repeats of the Cup tie, for next season.;)

Had a bit of a Falkirk detox after last weeks confirmation of what we knew weeks before....however to all the Morton fans pishing themselves I would be seriously concerned if I were you. Also football has a funny way of slapping you in the face and I’m not sure you should be sitting comfortably next season.

Anyway back to us. That statement from the board is beyond parody. We know we have made a mess but please let us undo it.... you have had a couple of disasters now. Possibly you are the root cause?

I am still undecided if this is a total disaster or a necessary evil. The players that have been let go so far all appear to be part of the problem so I am happy so far. Once we start signing players though that will be the potential wake up call of where we really are in the world.

I will be renewing as I don’t think withholding your cash is the same as torrents of abuse levelled the boards way and ultimately the ST money is the wage budget.