The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

It was fun at the time but maybe a litter over the top given what happened in the months to follow. We should just go about our business quietly this summer although there still has to be some marketing of the product given the situation we are in. 

Agreed.

Let's just not get carried away again , I think the fans are definitely once bitten twice shy on this, let's hope the Commercial guys play it a lot more chilled   

37 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Wonder how the social media team will handle signing news this year emoji102.png

Instead of tweeting a picture of the car taking the slip road for Glasgow Airport it'll be a picture of Falkirk High or the bus station I guess.

Guest Ecosse83
7 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

We all like to indulge in a bit of pole polishing when it comes to signings. Here's hoping this season coming brings signings worthy of the effort. 

Although the prospect of us guddling around League 1 for signings is terrifying beyond words

Will be interesting to see who we can attract now. I'd tip we will still be a bigger draw than about half of the Championship teams next season. 

Still hoping Tidser signs he would be quality in League 1.

2 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Will be interesting to see who we can attract now. I'd tip we will still be a bigger draw than about half of the Championship teams next season. 

Still hoping Tidser signs he would be quality in League 1.

The type of player we will be able to attract will be done in journeymen, or youngsters who haven't made it at Premiership clubs. 

We're a complete mess and won't be a bigger draw than any team in the championship other than maybe Arbroath and Alloa.

There's absolutely zero chance Tidser will sign for us now, stop dreaming.

Edited by Rugster

15 hours ago, Stainrod said:

I understood the problem with the academy was that the goal posts have changed with project brave and to qualify for elite status we have to have an indoor full size pitch . Without being categorized as elite by the SFA then we wouldn’t be able to entice or hold on to our best players who will be attracted to the Other elite clubs in edin or Glasgow . We apparently can’t stop them moving on for buttons within the youth system ( is contracts don’t hold water with talent at that age )and the kudos of playing at the top level will be insisted on by parents and kids . So if I’m right we could set up an academy any talent will nag of for free and we will have spent a fortune on Kevin O’Hara and Scott Shepherd push ! -No thanks

So by that reasoning the 8 Elite clubs will recruit up every young player with potential from across the country as well as retaining their own current youth players . Christ they'd all have 1000s of academy players each. 

What was wrong with being in the 2nd tier of Project Brave academies - still getting SFA funding - with potential to break into the Elite level .

Or just having a scaled down version, that can be up-scaled as we move up the leagues (yeah I know) 

How can Alloa afford an academy?   

Guest Ecosse83
8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

The type of player we will be able to attract will be done in journeymen, or youngsters who haven't made it at Premiership clubs. 

We're a complete mess and won't be a bigger draw than any team in the championship other than maybe Arbroath and Alloa.

There's absolutely zero chance Tidser will sign for us now, stop dreaming.

I'd have thought that as well but seeing as we're trying to keep a hold of McGhee Robson Dixon etc then the budget might be decent enough. 

Tidser yes he won't come but I think we will still be able to attract decent enough players. 

Edited by Ecosse83

Just now, Ecosse83 said:

I'd have thought that as well but seeing as we're trying to keep a hold of McGhee Robson Dixon etc then the budget might be extent enough. 

Tidser yes he won't come but I think we will still be able to attract decent enough players. 

It's not just about the money though. It's about who you're playing against and how much exposure players get. Decent players that want to advance their careers won't come to us now. Done in journeymen who are after a last payday might. Peripheral youngsters who can't get a club anywhere else probably will.

We'll be scraping the barrel for players, no point trying to delude ourselves otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

So by that reasoning the 8 Elite clubs will recruit up every young player with potential from across the country as well as retaining their own current youth players . Christ they'd all have 1000s of academy players each. 

What was wrong with being in the 2nd tier of Project Brave academies - still getting SFA funding - with potential to break into the Elite level .

Or just having a scaled down version, that can be up-scaled as we move up the leagues (yeah I know) 

How can Alloa afford an academy?   

Agree with this, i'm the the 'closing the academy never got us relegated' camp but i don't see what the problem with being outwith the elite academies would be,

young players develop at different times and there would still be good youngsters in the lower tier, the board at the time seemed to be 'Elite or nothing', don't understand that at all.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

It's not just about the money though. It's about who you're playing against and how much exposure players get. Decent players that want to advance their careers won't come to us now. Done in journeymen who are after a last payday might. Peripheral youngsters who can't get a club anywhere else probably will.

We'll be scraping the barrel for players, no point trying to delude ourselves otherwise. 

Indeed, and although yourselves, Airdrie and Raith (if they stay down) will be full time, most players will be thinking 'I'm not playing in a part time league'  even if they sign for one of those clubs.

9 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It's a no from me.

Didn't really rate him first time around and he seems to have regressed since, well, according to fans of St Johnstone, DU and Partick anyway. He would probably be OK in League 1 but, given McKinnon's comments about trying to get players on board for future seasons, I wouldn't want him for any possible Championship campaign. 

Fair enough ! Over the last few seasons we have made last minute signings with the impression which was proved right we were signing the dross nobody else wanted. We require to get our act together and get new signings done early.  Suspect that won't happen as the turmoil and uncertainty regarding club ownership do not make Falkirk an attractive option at present. 

26 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

Agree with this, i'm the the 'closing the academy never got us relegated' camp but i don't see what the problem with being outwith the elite academies would be,

young players develop at different times and there would still be good youngsters in the lower tier, the board at the time seemed to be 'Elite or nothing', don't understand that at all.

I really don't understand why it wasn't even an option - also add to the it the fact that outside businesses offered to pay for it.  

According to Peter Houston , Margaret believed in the academy & chased Elite status vigorously. Craig Campbell came in and said we need to bin it. 

1 minute ago, BendtnerBairn said:

GK. Mutch

RB. McGhee

CB. McKenna

CB. Dixon

LB. Robson

RM. MacLean

CM. McShane

CM. McKee

LM. Dunne

ST. Baird

ST. Fash

Geez it.

That doesnt look too bad tbh not sure how Fash would take to coming back but he apparently wants back down to the central belt cant mind where i read it but i am sure Airdrie was where he is headed.  Not sure about Bairdy as well he would be taking a step back as he is asst manager at the mo is he not ?

Just now, AL-FFC said:

That doesnt look too bad tbh not sure how Fash would take to coming back but he apparently wants back down to the central belt cant mind where i read it but i am sure Airdrie was where he is headed.  Not sure about Bairdy as well he would be taking a step back as he is asst manager at the mo is he not ?

Bairdy was in the League 1 team of the season and just gee the wee man a coaching role.

7 hours ago, LatapyBairn said:

Bringing in part time Arbroath players as a ‘quick fix’ is the last thing we should be doing. Changing the whole squad every 6 months doesn’t work and has to stop. We need to be looking to bring in players who are capable of developing and competing in the championship next year, augmented by some more experienced faces.

We will have around 6 loans or more in for the season and the rest will be 1yr contracts, if you think we will be handing out 2yr contracts willy nilly, then you are in for a surprise.

We are now in a league that requires a quick fix, the championship is the place to build then the top league, not league 1

6 hours ago, Russ said:

No saying this is what you mean but I really fucking hate this thought process that ‘one up front’ is somehow negative or defensive. Likewise starting with 4 strikers doesn’t necessarily make it anymore attacking. As long as the balance and support from midfield is fine then playing with a lone striker is absolutely fine and that’s why more teams now play with 1 rather than 2 up front.

You have seen Rays 4-3-3 where two strikers become full backs and two mids become centre halves.

I'm not a fan of 4-2-3-1, it's a formation for me that the top teams who have the best players do it well. The only team on a budget playing it well was Dumbarton, the season Raith got relegated. Dundee Utd failed under Ray sticking to 4-2-3-1 and only started to find form when he latterly switched to 4-4-2. I just don't buy a 4-2-3-1 is required for a winning solution for the lower leagues

4 hours ago, Rocco said:
6 hours ago, Russ said:

No saying this is what you mean but I really fucking hate this thought process that ‘one up front’ is somehow negative or defensive. Likewise starting with 4 strikers doesn’t necessarily make it anymore attacking. As long as the balance and support from midfield is fine then playing with a lone striker is absolutely fine and that’s why more teams now play with 1 rather than 2 up front.

I'm with you on this. Has really infuriated me the way some fans moan about this like Ray is the only manager to do it. Some of the best mangers in the world play one up top. In fact one of the most preferred formations nowadays is a 4231

4-2-3-1 really becomes 4-5-1 when lower clubs play it I don't think I've seen a team since Dumbarton actually have an effective version of what the top clubs have in that you could see it was 4-2-3-1 and not really a 4-5-1. We had been crying out for a 3-5-2 for weeks under Ray and it showed against County that we could actually create chances and not drive fans away with the negative formation we had in place.

The handbrake was firmly on under Ray from day one, I fear for us if it continues in league one

13 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I've always thought Dunne did well in his limited sub appearances. Never saw any of the reserve games though, does anyone who has think he could be a first team player in League 1? Same with Laverty and the rest of the reserves?

The reserve games I caught had Dunne mostly playing as a full back/wing back and didn't really work for him for me, the best he did play was when further up. I think it might be another Kevin O'Hara scenario