The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
26 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Let’s hope soon I would go with Mutch next year. He’s good enough for that league. Now that we are down to league 1 I’ve reflected on what that means for me as a fan
. 1 we will have a bunch of piss players - no change there
2 the football will be pish and the ball will be in the air most of the time - no change there even in the SPL the ball is in the air all the time
3 we will likely have new owners - big change and overdue- and a positive
4 we will win most weeks - got to be better
5 we can look to rebuild - better than watching a slow decline
6 crowds will be lower - so what the atmosphere is pish anyway
7 the club will have less money - maybe it will teach us to be a bit more prudent
8 we will have a clown as a manager - no change for the last ten years
9 We won’t be able to win a cup no change since 195 then
10 We will score more goals an attack most weeks hallelujah- it’s why I go and watch

So overall not much changes - my Saturday’s will still be the same - look up not down its a great time for kids to be fans they will start to think we win more often than not .

I'd have him as backup. Don't think he is ready or quite frankly good enough.

It is pretty unlikely that we will managw to loan in someone of Burgoynes quality again, but that was a stark reminder of what a difference it makes having someone of genuine quality in goals.

So no one should be talking about making do with Mutch. Making do with Mutch is talk reserved for when Fasan in playing.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Mind that time when the BOD decided that 7th place in the SPL wasn't good enough for a club Falkirk's size

Good times.

Utter nonsense. Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Ross County, Inverness, Patrick Thistle and St Johnstone have all been in the top 6 in recent years and all have crowds smaller than or similar to Falkirk. The idea that we were getting ideas above our station is rubbish.

30 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Let’s hope soon I would go with Mutch next year. He’s good enough for that league. 

We’d be as well going part time and preparing for a long stay in league 1 now if that’s the standard of player we’re going to have.

7 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

We've got to get The Academy back 

Nope, money will be extremely tight next season and every penny of it should be focused on getting us promoted at the first attempt. The last thing we need is to be leaking money on an organisation that has brought through 7 first team players in 10 years.

11 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I'd have him as backup. Don't think he is ready or quite frankly good enough.

He had a howler first half in the reserve game on Monday and was decent 2nd half, that to me is Mutch overall and has done similar when he got his chance in the first team. 

Who the feck gave him a 3yr contract.......I think we know who 

Id guess McKinnon might have a season loan keeper up his sleeve, seems to like a loan keeper

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I missed the reason for you scrapping the youth teams.  What was it?

Was it not to follow the "Brentford model"?

Curiously missing out on the fact Brentford spend more scouting and identifying players than Falkirk spent on their academy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Was it not to follow the "Brentford model"?

Curiously missing out on the fact Brentford spend more scouting and identifying players than Falkirk spent on their academy.

Then selling a player to...Brentford.

The decision to scrap the academy was still the right one IMO. Yes, everyone can point to 4 or 5 players who’ve gone on to do well over a 10 year period but there was very little at all that came through beyond that. There was nothing at all that came through in the run up to the closure.

The fact that Hartley signed a load of shite doesn’t make the strategy itself wrong. The money spent on the academy would be far spent  better paying higher wages(and even small transfer fees) to young guys with potential. 

10 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

The decision to scrap the academy was still the right one IMO. Yes, everyone can point to 4 or 5 players who’ve gone on to do well over a 10 year period but there was very little at all that came through beyond that. There was nothing at all that came through in the run up to the closure.

The fact that Hartley signed a load of shite doesn’t make the strategy itself wrong. The money spent on the academy would be far spent  better paying higher wages(and even small transfer fees) to young guys with potential. 

Think you are in the minority with that viewpoint Latapy……………...short sighted at best...………..anyway time for us to move on to pastures new...……...onwards and upwards (hopefully)

40 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

Nope, money will be extremely tight next season and every penny of it should be focused on getting us promoted at the first attempt. The last thing we need is to be leaking money on an organisation that has brought through 7 first team players in 10 years.

Whereas we will now bring through no players at all from the academy, not to mention the many millions of £s in transfer fees that were earned. I'm not saying we should revive the academy straight away but it should certainly be a future consideration.

It was more than 7 first team players too btw.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Whereas we will now bring through no players at all from the academy, not to mention the many millions of £s in transfer fees that were earned. I'm not saying we should revive the academy straight away but it should certainly be a future consideration.

It was more than 7 first team players too btw.

We’re about to get more for Will Vaulks than all the academy sales in total

56 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

Utter nonsense. Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Ross County, Inverness, Patrick Thistle and St Johnstone have all been in the top 6 in recent years and all have crowds smaller than or similar to Falkirk. The idea that we were getting ideas above our station is rubbish.

Have they all did so with massive increases in budget from one season to the next for their managers to waste on their old mates? Or have they just kept doing what they've been doing well and it's eventually come?

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

We’re about to get more for Will Vaulks than all the academy sales in total

Hi Craig, or do you prefer Margaret? :lol:

The only way to turn next year into a positive is by getting promoted with a team that ends up having the quality for top 4 championship football. Risky but I believe you can only achieve that if you get an experienced spine and fill up the rest with youngsters that can grow in league 1 to become the required standard. Two established CBs, a holding mid and an attacking mid with preferably pacey youngsters around them. Can't believe I'm saying this but we're reaching a level where O'Hara could become relevant again.

Edited by Gollum