The Falkirk FC Thread

Literally the day after we secured safety last season. They weren't slow in getting anything out then.

CHIEF EXECUTIVE UPDATE – APRIL 2018

There were sighs of relief from everyone last night at St Mirren Park as we finally secured our Championship status for next season. From where the club was back in the late autumn of 2017 it has been a remarkable turnaround.

Despite some inconsistency our general form relative to other clubs in the division since the back to back 3-0 defeats to Morton and Dundee Utd and the 3 week run of postponements in early December has been good. See HERE for league table comparison. However, as Paul said last night, we need to make sure that this football club is never again put into this position.

Our aim is to get this club into the Premiership. That has been the aim since last summer when I started here and when Paul was brought into the club in October last year. The club has been through a lot of change in the past 9 months. There is a lot of work on the go on the recruitment side (and has been for 4 months) and we have signed off and agreed the single largest first team playing budget seen at this club whilst in the Championship.

I am very clear that it needs everyone pulling together to propel this club upwards. It needs supporters to buy season tickets again. It needs you to persuade lapsed fans to come back and support the club. It needs you all to continue your brilliant support as sponsors, advertisers, guests of hospitality, patrons of the matchday bar in the South Stand, buying club merchandise in the shop and more. This is not my club. It is not Paul Hartley’s club. It is YOUR club. We will do all that we can to give you a football team and football club to be proud of. Nothing is taken for granted but if we are to get the team we want to see then it needs you all to continue your fantastic support of the club. I promise that we will continue to graft on and off the pitch to deliver this.

PRE-SEASON
The first team squad will start pre-season on 20th June. As part of the 2018/19 preparations the squad will be away for 5 days at The Vale in South Wales from 25th to 30th June. On 27th June a closed doors friendly has been arranged v Newport County.

A further friendly match has been confirmed with Aberdeen for the evening of 4th July. This will most likely be played at Gayfield Park, Arbroath and we will confirm as soon as details are known. A further two friendly matches will be organised shortly and again we will confirm details when known.

SEASON TICKETS
These will go on sale on 1st June. One of the many things we have been looking at is the ticketing product at the club which has lacked investment for some time. Work has been ongoing for the past 3 months and we will be switching to Ticketmaster in May. Season tickets will be able to be renewed and purchased using the new system. This will enable season and match tickets to be bought online and tickets printed at home, onto a mobile phone or collected at the shop.

There will be no price increases.

RESERVE LEAGUE
We have applied to participate in the new Reserve League structure within the top divisional set up and should hear more about the final set up shortly. The Reserve League replaces the current U20s Development League and enables players of all ages from 16 up to play in matches.

We will update further when fuller details are known.

RETAIL SHOP
I hope that you will have seen an improvement in the customer service and product range in the Retail shop. We have made changes to the staff in the shop and asked Lauren Brown (whom many of you will know) to help us think about the range and type of products that ae available. This work continues and you will see further improvements in the coming months.

The new home and away strips will be available from June. We will formally launch shortly with a pre-order system in place so you can have them worn proudly ahead of the summer. Beach towels, swimming shorts, flip flops and sunglasses to follow!!

SAFE STANDING
As many of you will know we visited Celtic FC to learn about their safe standing section. This followed a really good meeting with some of the young boys from the upper section of the South Stand. The costs are not as high as I thought they would be but still come in at around £100 per seat. So 300 seats would be £30,000. For the time being we need to invest all available resources into the first team but now we know the cost it means we can review going forward and look at different ways of funding this.

RECRUITMENT
Richard Mitchell joined the club on 1st January having previously been Head of Recruitment with Ross County. Mitch is based in the Midlands and covers thousands of miles every month watching matches, meeting clubs and agents and has almost daily chats with Paul about players that we believe can make an impact at Falkirk. In addition to this Paul and Gordon Young are well versed in the Scottish market.

Recruitment is the number one area where we are focused on in helping shape the squad for the forthcoming season. The work has been ongoing since before Christmas and has ramped up in the past month.

We will keep you fully updated on all things related to players as they develop.

PAUL HARTLEY
During May, Paul will be hosting a number of informal chats with supporters about his plans and vision for Falkirk FC. He will be talking about what he wants to see in terms of our squad, our type of player, our playing style and his hopes and aspirations for the club.

We will be looking to hold 4 or 5 of these during May. These will be within the club and in pubs/clubs within Falkirk. If you have any thoughts on venues or would like to host one of these then please get in touch.

COMMUNICATIONS
I hope that you have seen a more open relationship between the club and the supporters. Less formal and more listening to what you are looking for from your club. We realise that we don’t always get it right but we are trying and will continue to do so.

Our use of social media and Falkirk TV will increase and improve in the coming months. Short films such as the one involving Tommy Robson and Andrew Nelson yesterday are exactly what this club should be about.

I know there is still scepticism and cynicism out there about the motivations of the Board, me, Margaret Lang etc. but I hope we have persuaded some of you that we are here to do a job. To work as hard as we can to get this club into the Premiership and to give you more good Saturdays than bad.

I’m always keen to hear from supporters about any aspect so if you have any ideas or views you wish to share with me then please do get in touch.

FAN OWNERSHIP
We have tried to generate interest in this on a couple of occasions but it hasn’t quite sparked yet. I believe that this is a model that can sit well with Falkirk FC and we will be trying to progress again shortly. There is a real opportunity here and I don’t want Falkirk to fall behind others who are making strides forward such as Motherwell, St Mirren and Hearts.

Further news shortly.

FINALLY
I know this season has not been all that everyone hoped for in the hazy days of last summer. The support at matches has been incredible considering how the season has progressed and I would like to thank every one of you for that. To every volunteer who helps around the club…thank you.

It has been a period of change. Of transition. There have been very difficult decisions taken in the past 6 months. But I believe we have a coaching team, a recruitment team and a supporter base to get this club to where it wants to be.

Please keep giving the club your 100% support. We will continue to do everything we can on and off the field to give you a team to be proud of.

Craig Campbell

Lack of any sort of communication from the club is an utter disgrace.

I am actually surprised - I don’t know why - but I am.

Seems to me that this is deliberate in response to the protests on Saturday which they obviously didn’t like. 

Getting relegated to League 1 never did Livi any harm. It produced a team that got used to working hard and winning games and led to the last three successful seasons. 

Guest Ecosse83
57 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Petra selling his motor on Facebook and looking for a quick sale... 

Yep says he's leaving country, hopefully not just on holiday :lol:

Top two going up next season would be great news. Means if Queens go down 2nd May be enough for promotion. 

What a shite strategy this is. We should be going out to win the league in style. look what happened this year with just trying to get by, this attitude gives me the fear

Top two going up next season would be great news. Means if Queens go down 2nd May be enough for promotion. 

The current Championship format is great for fans and entertainment with few meaningless games.
Just because we failed for the first time in many years you don’t change the rules to make things easier.
That’s OF type thinking.....

35 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The current Championship format is great for fans and entertainment with few meaningless games.
Just because we failed for the first time in many years you don’t change the rules to make things easier.
That’s OF type thinking.....

It might be but the glory hunters will only be out to see a successful Falkirk team In cup finals and playoffs league one crowded will take a hit.

1 hour ago, orco said:

Getting relegated to League 1 never did Livi any harm. It produced a team that got used to working hard and winning games and led to the last three successful seasons. 

Livingston's business model works better in the higher divisions.

images (20).jpeg

It might be but the glory hunters will only be out to see a successful Falkirk team In cup finals and playoffs league one crowded will take a hit.

What relevance does that have with doing what’s best for Scottish football as a whole?
We got ourselves into this mess and it’s up to us to make our way out of it.....

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've clearly been hanging around a bit too much because my browser brings me to the Champ forum if I type 'pie' into it and press enter now...

Wot, you mean it doesn’t automatically bring up that well-known photo of vt??

How strange.......