The Falkirk FC Thread

I am 40 this year. Not since I was in nappies has this club slipped so low.

I have seen some good times - my earliest memories are being at Brockville, watching Jim Duffy's team who were just brilliant. The first goal I remember is Alex Rae scoring a 25-yard screamer (I think against Clyde). I watched us beat Queen of the South 7-1 - my brother took me to that game as my dad was in hospital. I saw us put 5 past Morton. I went to Ibrox to see us play Rangers. I missed the 1997 cup final due to a university exam - something I have still not forgiven Stirling uni for.

At the new ground, I sat in the gazebo. I took my daughter when we were in the premiership. My brother took his step-son there to his first ever football match - a narrow loss against Rangers when we were in the top flight. We were something then - a factory for young players coming through. We had some storming players too - Anthony Stokes, Alan Gow, Farid, Jack Ross.... even the loanees - Krul and Schmeichel. Big clubs sent their future stars to us knowing they were being sent somewhere good.

A lot of you hated the man but I associate our best years with Yogi. What I wouldn't give to be moaning that our team passed the ball too much against Celtic in our 4 games against them this year...

I've seen the bad times too. I remember John Lambie's slander against our fans. I remember his team marching for relegation. I remember Eddie May blowing us out of Europe. Stephen Pressley's "guarantee". I remember being denied rightful promotion because Brockville was a hovel, and Gordon Strachan using our new stadium as an example of how bad Scottish football was.

The worst days were when the club nearly went bust. The younger fans here might not remember it well, but in the late 90s I really thought that there was a chance that my club could vanish, like Clydebank did. we were being talked of in the same breath as Third Lanark.

We are not there - but it feels like that is the direction we're going. How on earth can we succeed as a full time club in a part time league? For a couple of years now all that has been good about us has gone, and we are now a club in crisis. We couldn't buy a win; we don't bring through players; the atmosphere has gone downhill. The board and the fans are at odds.

We need this to change, and rapidly. We need to somehow pull together to ensure we not only bounce back up, but we regain the best bits of our club. It goes beyond buying this player or that; it's about getting our identity back.

3 hours ago, BendtnerBairn said:

This chat needs to get cut ASAP.

1, We scored our goal in added time. Its not like it was 80th minute when it would mean that any delay would increase the added time.

2. There was about 4 boiz on the park. If no one went on the park, the celebrations would have lasted just as long with the #scenes from players coming in to the crowd.

3. Wasn't a pen.

4. They scored about a minute after we did. Not like 6. There was always going to be another attack after we scored given the pen was 90+1. When does any game any 91?

5. DKD got sent off for taking his shirt off and he trudged off the park - there was probably more time added on for that than any of the "pitch invasion"

So aye, away and fvck off with that.

Fair enough BB.  It was only a query, no need for the 'fvck off'.  Simply wondered if that was a defining moment, and perhaps referee Cook was influenced by the mini invasion in a way in which a more detached referee would not have been. For example, you say '3. Wasn't a pen.', however the referee gave it.  Barry Cook has a reputation for being whistle happy.

No matter what way it is analysed, it was a defining moment in the season, which could have been rescued if Cook hadn't awarded that penalty from which Dobbie scored.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Fair enough BB.  It was only a query, no need for the 'fvck off'.  Simply wondered if that was a defining moment, and perhaps referee Cook was influenced by the mini invasion in a way in which a more detached referee would not have been. For example, you say '3. Wasn't a pen.', however the referee gave it.  Barry Cook has a reputation for being whistle happy.

No matter what way it is analysed, it was a defining moment in the season, which could have been rescued if Cook hadn't awarded that penalty from which Dobbie scored.

Sorry m8, I just hate Tuesdays. Caught me at a bad time innit.

It was more  cheating from Lying Dykes for dragging a leg and falling over than the referee awarding a soft pen.

It was a defining moment, of course and we aw knew that at the time.

But absolutely nothing to do with the supporters.

Don't blame last season on just the keepers! Shots, passes, great runs and positioning, harassing defenders, heading, ball control, lethal finishing, there was absolutely no limit to what Dennon Lewis couldn't do :lol:

He was good at clearing the ball from the opponents six yard box.

I get that with the current board being under severe fan pressure they may not wish to pop their heads out, but it really is an absolute disgrace that we haven't heard anything from the club yet. Not even a recognition of what has happened, a half-hearted apology or anything. Dundee released a statement on Saturday night ffs. It's beyond a joke. Show some leadership for once.

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I get that with the current board being under severe fan pressure they may not wish to pop their heads out, but it really is an absolute disgrace that we haven't heard anything from the club yet. Not even a recognition of what has happened, a half-hearted apology or anything. Dundee released a statement on Saturday night ffs. It's beyond a joke. Show some leadership for once.

can only hope they are waiting to make a more substantial statement, which might actually put a smile on our faces.

can only hope they are waiting to make a more substantial statement, which might actually put a smile on our faces.
What about an update on where these proposals currently are then? Any "real fan" as Lang reportedly is would apologise for presiding over this mess whether they felt they were at fault or not. If it wasnt obvious before why they need rooted out, it is now. When the going gets tough, either lead or get yourself to f**k out the way.

Hiding now, even if they have nothing to say simply proves we were right.

Fucking. Cowards.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

What about an update on where these proposals currently are then? Any "real fan" as Lang reportedly is would apologise for presiding over this mess whether they felt they were at fault or not. If it wasnt obvious before why they need rooted out, it is now. When the going gets tough, either lead or get yourself to f**k out the way.

Hiding now, even if they have nothing to say simply proves we were right.

Fucking. Cowards.

AGREED!,

with so many rumors flying around into proposed parties looking to take control of the club, even a 'were making progress' statement would do.

I'm more hoping it's so far down the line that something concrete is going to be announced soon. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's quite the legacy that Paul Hartley is leaving around Scotland at the moment.

There are folk who might think it's harsh to blame him for both Dundee and Falkirk's relegations, but I'm going to. He's lined them up like a trick-shot of managerial mediocrity. The smug, fat fucker. I'd like to think this will be enough to make sure he never works again, except maybe at Morton.

4 hours ago, Nizzy said:

Sound the Ludo*1 klaxon.

Since Nizzy was too shitebag...

@Ludo*1 come explain why you're, genuinely, hoping Paul Hartley is Dundees next manager...

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was going to ask for context as that has passed me by. Does he really?! :huh:

16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Will no doubt get pelters for this... but I'd have Hartley back in an instant.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Got us out that league once before. Put decent building blocks in place. Just massively fucked it in final season after couple seasons of steady progress. We are back to square one of what he progressed us from originally. No reason to suggest he couldn't do it again.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not sure I fully agree with your assessment, but I do take your point and it is certainly a valid way to look at it.

My argument would be:

We are already behind the curveball - We have around 4 -5 players tied up for next season, the other teams have managers currently managing at that level so know what it's all about. Traditionally teams don't come straight back up when needing to do a massive overhaul. We have a massive rebuild ahead. We need someone that knows the league, knows what we are needing (In other words, knows the club somewhat) and finally, knows how to get out of that league.

:lol:

Just now, Colkitto said:

What's happening CS, are you lot coming back down to join us?

Haha, quite possibly still. Steeling my nerves for the playoffs as I can't see us getting 10th now.

I've clearly been hanging around a bit too much because my browser brings me to the Champ forum if I type 'pie' into it and press enter now...

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Haha, quite possibly still. Steeling my nerves for the playoffs as I can't see us getting 10th now.

I've clearly been hanging around a bit too much because my browser brings me to the Champ forum if I type 'pie' into it and press enter now...

It's a sign I would say....  :lol:

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am 40 this year. Not since I was in nappies has this club slipped so low.

I have seen some good times - my earliest memories are being at Brockville, watching Jim Duffy's team who were just brilliant. The first goal I remember is Alex Rae scoring a 25-yard screamer (I think against Clyde). I watched us beat Queen of the South 7-1 - my brother took me to that game as my dad was in hospital. I saw us put 5 past Morton. I went to Ibrox to see us play Rangers. I missed the 1997 cup final due to a university exam - something I have still not forgiven Stirling uni for.

At the new ground, I sat in the gazebo. I took my daughter when we were in the premiership. My brother took his step-son there to his first ever football match - a narrow loss against Rangers when we were in the top flight. We were something then - a factory for young players coming through. We had some storming players too - Anthony Stokes, Alan Gow, Farid, Jack Ross.... even the loanees - Krul and Schmeichel. Big clubs sent their future stars to us knowing they were being sent somewhere good.

A lot of you hated the man but I associate our best years with Yogi. What I wouldn't give to be moaning that our team passed the ball too much against Celtic in our 4 games against them this year...

I've seen the bad times too. I remember John Lambie's slander against our fans. I remember his team marching for relegation. I remember Eddie May blowing us out of Europe. Stephen Pressley's "guarantee". I remember being denied rightful promotion because Brockville was a hovel, and Gordon Strachan using our new stadium as an example of how bad Scottish football was.

The worst days were when the club nearly went bust. The younger fans here might not remember it well, but in the late 90s I really thought that there was a chance that my club could vanish, like Clydebank did. we were being talked of in the same breath as Third Lanark.

We are not there - but it feels like that is the direction we're going. How on earth can we succeed as a full time club in a part time league? For a couple of years now all that has been good about us has gone, and we are now a club in crisis. We couldn't buy a win; we don't bring through players; the atmosphere has gone downhill. The board and the fans are at odds.

We need this to change, and rapidly. We need to somehow pull together to ensure we not only bounce back up, but we regain the best bits of our club. It goes beyond buying this player or that; it's about getting our identity back.

We are in a self inflicted mess that could put the club back decades to the mid 70 wilderness years and it was dire stuff believe me. No home grown young players. Signings that did not give a toss and just went through the motions run by a board with no vision or ambition Deja Vu folks. Year after year not one player on our books anybody wanted to sign.   What happens in the next month will effect the club for years to come.

We are in a self inflicted mess that could put the club back decades to the mid 70 wilderness years and it was dire stuff believe me. No home grown young players. Signings that did not give a toss and just went through the motions run by a board with no vision or ambition Deja Vu folks. Year after year not one player on our books anybody wanted to sign.   What happens in the next month will effect the club for years to come.

I think what’s happened in the last 18 months has affected the club for years to come. Something I was flagging when the strategy was announced at the time.
So desperately hoping for a positive sign in the next few weeks...but with McKinnon making plans for next season, I’m not hopeful.....