The Falkirk FC Thread

13 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Anyone know if Airdrie are about to go bust again ?  or someone else in league one as thats the only way i can see us avoiding the drop or increasing the amount of teams in the Championship.

Unless it's changed recently even that wouldn't help you. It would be the losing play off finalists that would go up/ stay up, which ironically enough Airdrie have benefitted from three times

The blame for relegation , if it comes, lies squarely with Lang & Campbell.

They led us on the strategy , and indeed boasted about it pre-season, that has ultimately caused this disaster.

To allow Hartley absolute carte blanche to sign who he wants based on the newbie Superscout's  say so, with no due diligence was an outrage.  There was no control over him , no one asking questions like "have you seen this guy play live Paul?" Managers  (esp egotistical ones) with the keys to the cookie jar will fill their boots and sign as many players as possible if no one above (like a CEO for example) is making sure the club is getting value for money and there is no risk to future of the club. 

Well guess what it went spectacularly wrong and it f*cked us up.  The domino effect was that Ray was left to punt all the crap , recruit a new squad from the slim pickings of the Jan transfer window, then make this bunch if strangers into a team , get them fit and used to system all whilst trying to get off the bottom of the league.    

Margaret promised us "significant change" when she was appointed , at least on that she has delivered.  

1 hour ago, I'm Brian said:

Unless it's changed recently even that wouldn't help you. It would be the losing play off finalists that would go up/ stay up, which ironically enough Airdrie have benefitted from three times

It saved us from the drop the last time

5 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

To allow Hartley absolute carte blanche to sign who he wants based on the newbie Superscout's  say so, with no due diligence was an outrage.  There was no control over him , no one asking questions like "have you seen this guy play live Paul?" Managers  (esp egotistical ones) with the keys to the cookie jar will fill their boots and sign as many players as possible if no one above (like a CEO for example) is making sure the club is getting value for money and there is no risk to future of the club. 

Fans say this shit all the time when a squad build goes wrong but I don't understand it. Your board appointed a manager to sign players and win football matches, if the board then start dictating which players they can sign with the budget they've been given you'd probably find yourself without a manager and not many willing applicants looking to take over. Your board can be held accountable for appointing Hartley or McKinnon (and for when either should be sacked) but letting them sign players for the first team is literally the job they've hired them to do, I don't think it can be expected that they step in and question each signing.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fans say this shit all the time when a squad build goes wrong but I don't understand it. Your board appointed a manager to sign players and win football matches, if the board then start dictating which players they can sign with the budget they've been given you'd probably find yourself without a manager and not many willing applicants looking to take over. Your board can be held accountable for appointing Hartley or McKinnon (and for when either should be sacked) but letting them sign players for the first team is literally the job they've hired them to do, I don't think it can be expected that they step in and question each signing.

This was not your normal squad build where a manager will retain some of the existing players - who know the club and the league - then add half a dozen players to improve the squad whilst retaining some continuity.

No , this was a manager that signed 17 players - untried and unknown at our level - a whole squad of guys with beards & sleeve tattoos who obviously looked the part but ultimately could not play.  When such a hugely risky strategy is chosen I would expect  some checks on the execution.

As it turned out every one was based on Superscout's recommendations and for all we know he might have lost his mind , no one up here had heard of any of them ,why be completely exposed to this?  We all know the end result and hindsight is a great thing but why would any business take such risks when so much money is involved and it seems now our very existence in this league.

Hey Paul can you not go down and have a look at some of these 17 players in a match , they might be guff.   That's all it takes.   

Don't judge this by normal football standards, this was a grand madness.   

2 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

This was not your normal squad build where a manager will retain some of the existing players - who know the club and the league - then add half a dozen players to improve the squad whilst retaining some continuity.

No , this was a manager that signed 17 players - untried and unknown at our level - a whole squad of guys with beards & sleeve tattoos who obviously looked the part but ultimately could not play.  When such a hugely risky strategy is chosen I would expect  some checks on the execution.

As it turned out every one was based on Superscout's recommendations and for all we know he might have lost his mind , no one up here had heard of any of them ,why be completely exposed to this?  We all know the end result and hindsight is a great thing but why would any business take such risks when so much money is involved and it seems now our very existence in this league.

Hey Paul can you not go down and have a look at some of these 17 players in a match , they might be guff.   That's all it takes.   

I still don't think your board are accountable there, why would you want Margaret Lang running the rule over whether a player is good enough rather than Hartley or a scout? If your board stepped in and things still went tits up they'd be out on their arse for not letting the manager do his job. 

8 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

None of my mates in Harpenden  has seen Aaron Jarvis play, not that he has played much for anyone, so you are obviously still on the same random guy bingo path with that guy and Toddleoff. 

None of my mates in Harpenden  has seen Aaron Jarvis play, not that he has played much for anyone, so you are obviously still on the same random guy bingo path with that guy and Toddleoff. 
You dont have any mates brother.

Bye.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I still don't think your board are accountable there, why would you want Margaret Lang running the rule over whether a player is good enough rather than Hartley or a scout? If your board stepped in and things still went tits up they'd be out on their arse for not letting the manager do his job. 

I am not saying they should have vetted every player, I am talking about allowing the process to happen that did.

Hartley said early doors he wasn't prepared to travel down to England to view players live - red flag I'm afraid.  Jim Jeffries used to sleep in the car when he did this FFS.  You can't sign players off YouTube videos, but we did and see what happened - do you really think these players put any of their faults on these 4 or 5 min  videos.

In my opinion Lang & Campbell were starstruck & eventually played by Hartley. He arrogantly said  he didn't want the job and did not apply for it , he got lazy and did not bother to watch any of the duffers live - we paid the price.

In football recruitment is everything. Our recruitment process was flawed & a total failure. The process therefore is wrong and that's on the board for allowing it.