The Falkirk FC Thread

46 minutes ago, ka202 said:

Presley’s team had, McGovern, Millar, Duffie, Farid, Sibbald, McGrandles, Fulton, Weatherston and Alston, now Look at the shite we have to put up with.

I totally agree. Much better players......but the only valid comparison would have to be Pressley inheriting what McKinnon inherited. Would he have done better in the January window?

McKinnon’s biggest failing actually hasn’t been his signings. It’s been his inability to turn those signings into a pukka football team. I would argue that the easiest part was building a side that conceded few goals, scored few goals, and won few games.....but that was never going to be enough.

On the run in, he has been owned by every other manager in the league. He was stuck in the land of drawing matches when the rest were doing something about trying to get out of the bottom two. Being beaten by Morton and Alloa in the last two home games has pretty much consigned him as a guy who could talk the talk, but simply couldn’t put a winning team on the park......just one that didn’t lose a lot of games....except the really important ones.

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I’m not sure I’m keen to invest now until we are back playing in the Championship. We ought to be able to pull together a budget adequate to achieve promotion from League 1, although I am not underrating the abilities of some of the teams that may also be challenging at the top of the division.
Really the objective of the exercise was to deliver a promotion push. However it wasn’t from League 1 to Championship....

.......just don’t allow ourselves to under estimate how far down a group of people still playing at football movers and shakers are capable of taking us.

Said it before, but does a business with a turnover less than a city centre Branch of Greggs  really need a CEO?

Guest Ecosse83

I had a good chat about McKinnon earlier with my mates over a pint. Some mixed views about him it has to be said.

One thinks he should be allowed to get his own team from scratch in and get us back up. One said they wouldn't be back until he is away purely because of the dreadful football that's being served up and how horrible it is to watch. I'm in the middle in that I want him gone but would still turn up if he was in charge.

4 hours ago, MetalWolf said:

I would disagree with this. Pressley was all about passing in pretty triangles, whereas Ray seems more lump it forward and chase.  

I still don't understand how we can play 4 3 3 and still end up 1 man up front and over run in midfield.  That takes a special kind of talent. 

They are both styled the same way, but the differences are down to the players at their disposal. Both incredibly cautious and more about the strengths of the opposition. Time can be a great healer, but anyone who remembers Pressley’s Team conceding 4 goals in Cowdenbeath knows how awful he could be.

It is probably a Largs thing, but their outlook is broadly similar because they absorbed what they were taught there.

Personally, I don’t think McKinnon has a trouble identifying players, his signings have been pretty much 50/50 success rate, which in normal circumstances would be normal, if not pretty good. However, the situation we were/are in, we required almost all of the signings to be successful which was never going to happen. My jipe with McKinnon lies solely on his shoddy tactics and inability to change them.

the only way to fix this shit show is for not a single person to renew their season until the lot of the board get to f**k. also need to tell saviour sandy to ram his 75k a year south stand rent and hardball the council for whatever nonsense we pay them for the rest. only board member worth their salt is our commercial director k k. get everyone else to f**k and start again

16 minutes ago, muppetshow said:

the only way to fix this shit show is for not a single person to renew their season until the lot of the board get to f**k. also need to tell saviour sandy to ram his 75k a year south stand rent and hardball the council for whatever nonsense we pay them for the rest. only board member worth their salt is our commercial director k k. get everyone else to f**k and start again

If we go down to league 1 then we should just close the south stand, hand the keys back to Sandy and pocket the £75k a year. All the travelling supports can sit in the main stand and all the south stand season tickets can move to the North stand. 

May cause awkwardness if we draw one of the ugly sisters in the cup right enough but I'm sure Sandy would happily do us a one off deal to open his stand.

6 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I had a good chat about McKinnon earlier with my mates over a pint. Some mixed views about him it has to be said.

One thinks he should be allowed to get his own team from scratch in and get us back up. One said they wouldn't be back until he is away purely because of the dreadful football that's being served up and how horrible it is to watch. I'm in the middle in that I want him gone but would still turn up if he was in charge.

There is no way the hapless BOD will sanction the sacking of Ray considering we just spent the best part of 100K securing his "services".

Not even Lang or Campbell have that much of a brass neck.,even if they can't help wasting our money.

We are stuck with him for at least another season. 

7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’m not sure I’m keen to invest now until we are back playing in the Championship. We ought to be able to pull together a budget adequate to achieve promotion from League 1, although I am not underrating the abilities of some of the teams that may also be challenging at the top of the division.
Really the objective of the exercise was to deliver a promotion push. However it wasn’t from League 1 to Championship....

One option is for every fan who pledged to the fan ownership offer get together and withhold all season money therefore starving the club of what I'd assume is their largest income unless Little Mix can hold a Vegas style residency at TFS for 12 months.

The club would surely then go into administration and then fans' group can pick up the whole club for around that already pledged (or if Charles Green is recruited as a consultant next to nothing).

Campbell & Lang would immediately be relieved of duties  , the BOD would be horsed out and the fans would have complete control.

It's a win-win situation - unless you are a current shareholder of course.    

Single largest shareholder IIRC. Depends on what’s meant by ‘done’.  Hopefully he wants to exit entirely, or at a minimum proxy his shares permanently to fans body. It’s the least he can do after what he’s subjected us to. 

Nope Sandy Alexander is the biggest

The decisions made have took the club backwards not forwards we need to start from scratch rebuilding a team and get some continuity, pretty sure on the news part with the fan ownership didnt they say they have been approached for someone wanting to invest in the club ?

I am still to be convinced that the guy approached the club TBH but I am sure it will come out in the wash.

If any MSG members happen to read this (I’m sure at least some read it) then please , if you really care about the club then do the right thing and immediately jettison Lang and Campbell. Then out in place process which allows us to move on.
I appreciate this is not what anyone  wanted, and I am sure you tried your best. However it is clear now that your ‘stewardship’ of our club has took us to a new low. Stand aside and let some new people and ideas in. You’ve little left to protect if the fans walk away and we’re all fed up of the incompetence and won’t be back till major changes are made.

100%. I fear however they are now trying to hock it to anyone with a few quid.

I totally agree. Much better players......but the only valid comparison would have to be Pressley inheriting what McKinnon inherited. Would he have done better in the January window?
McKinnon’s biggest failing actually hasn’t been his signings. It’s been his inability to turn those signings into a pukka football team. I would argue that the easiest part was building a side that conceded few goals, scored few goals, and won few games.....but that was never going to be enough.
On the run in, he has been owned by every other manager in the league. He was stuck in the land of drawing matches when the rest were doing something about trying to get out of the bottom two. Being beaten by Morton and Alloa in the last two home games has pretty much consigned him as a guy who could talk the talk, but simply couldn’t put a winning team on the park......just one that didn’t lose a lot of games....except the really important ones.

His signings by and large have been shite.

Outside Rudden, Burgoyne and DKD of course

There is no way the hapless BOD will sanction the sacking of Ray considering we just spent the best part of 100K securing his "services".
Not even Lang or Campbell have that much of a brass neck.,even if they can't help wasting our money.
We are stuck with him for at least another season. 

“We can’t afford to sack him” getting muted now

Considering he inherited a pub team and had to build a side from loan players and whatever players that were out of favour etc that were available in January, hardly ideal for getting a team together, I'd give Ray a chance. If he were to keep to the negative tactics next season then he would have to go but see if he can change things with a reasonable squad. To still have a chance of staying up having played a full season without a midfield is nothing short of remarkable. 

What I still don't understand is, he realised against dunfermline that to win a game we needed 2 up top.  The squad on Saturday had 2 strikers and 4 midfielders, yet we still end up with 1 up front?! 

I agree on the midfield, having so many midfielders that are sitting mids, they might as well have been sitting in the stand for all the presence they give at times. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am still to be convinced that the guy approached the club TBH but I am sure it will come out in the wash.

The way things have went over the past 2 season i wouldnt be surprised if it is the Board trying to force the fan ownership for more money.and encourage more people to take it up.