The Falkirk FC Thread

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:05, Bairnardo said:

I cant give too many specifics due to shitty memory but I think he has done well attacking wise when he has played. 

He gave RC a seriously hard time down the left when we drew with them. Set up the goal and almost set up a winner if Irving wasnt horrific in front of goal

All about opinions I suppose mate but Petra was given MOTM in that game yet some moan about him constantly. 

I just don't think Robson is as good as he is eing made out to be by some of our support.

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:06, ShaggerG said:

You must have a very poor memory then as Robson gets crosses in in every game he plays in. Trouble is we've seldom got anyone in there to take advantage. I'm like a broken record but we need him in the team and we need to go 3-5-2. 

Still think that Petra could make a good RWB too, at least in an attacking sense, but maybe that's going a wee bit too gung ho!

No my meomory is quite good, he runs up and down the wing but thats about it. His crosses aren't any better than what we have. He started in the game we got pumped by Stenny and don't think he put one ball in to the box that day?

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

I don't think you can use the Stenny game as an example of anything other than how not to play football. If we dumped every player in that game who had a shocker, we'd be in our third new team of the season. 

We pretty much have dumped every player have we not? My point is he was part of that horror showing but people seem to forget that and only remember the 2/3 good games Robson has had. I am not saying he isnt a decent player on his day I just don't think he will be the one that saves our season. 

3 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

We pretty much have dumped every player have we not? My point is he was part of that horror showing but people seem to forget that and only remember the 2/3 good games Robson has had. I am not saying he isnt a decent player on his day I just don't think he will be the one that saves our season. 

Only about 3/4 that started that day been punted I believe

Hope for the best but plan for the worst. If I was in Day's shoes I would have half an eye on playing in division 1 next season. While none of us want that, it would be foolish to not expect the odds of us going down being higher than us staying up. 

If we, and God hope we dont, go down we only have 4 current first team members under contract ( Paton, McShane, McLean and Petra). Add to that Mutch and Harrison (yes, he has another year) and that's it. I suspect some of the youngsters in the reserves will still be under contract.If

Attracting players, with the obvious reduced budget, will be hard. Will we be looking at the annual old firm youth cast off that worked well for Livingston (Halkett and Gallagher to make two) or veteran journeymen (Baird going to Forfar). Many of the players in that league, all out with Faith I suspect, are part-time. Would we entertain the idea of signing part time players? We have in the past with Nicky Henderson springing to mind.

Planning for next season has begun but the player we have under pre-contract can opt out of we are relegated. That being so, there was thought given on some part to us going down.

57 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

No my meomory is quite good, he runs up and down the wing but thats about it. His crosses aren't any better than what we have. He started in the game we got pumped by Stenny and don't think he put one ball in to the box that day?

He also started the last we game we actually won. 

He is by no means the messiah but certainly is one of the very few players we have in the entire squad that is willing to try and take someone on and make things happen in attack. And gives it a bit extra as it seems to mean something to him when he plays. For me, this is what we need now for the run in. The sideways passing, play it safe is not what will save us. Whap the baws oot and go for it. 

1 hour ago, Stuperman01 said:

So, given that it appears to be accepted by the vast majority that we need to adopt a more attacking formation, who would you prefer played wide left?

IMO his crosses are generally better than others in the team. Petra can put in a good ball but can also hit the corner flag at the other side of the park. McGhee, Paton, Dixon tend to hit floated crosses that are easier for teams to defend and none of these players hit the by line on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that Robson is some sort of superstar but I do think that he's one of our more capable players. I think there may be a deeper reason for him not being involved?

36 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Hope for the best but plan for the worst. If I was in Day's shoes I would have half an eye on playing in division 1 next season. While none of us want that, it would be foolish to not expect the odds of us going down being higher than us staying up. 

If we, and God hope we dont, go down we only have 4 current first team members under contract ( Paton, McShane, McLean and Petra). Add to that Mutch and Harrison (yes, he has another year) and that's it. I suspect some of the youngsters in the reserves will still be under contract.If

Attracting players, with the obvious reduced budget, will be hard. Will we be looking at the annual old firm youth cast off that worked well for Livingston (Halkett and Gallagher to make two) or veteran journeymen (Baird going to Forfar). Many of the players in that league, all out with Faith I suspect, are part-time. Would we entertain the idea of signing part time players? We have in the past with Nicky Henderson springing to mind.

Planning for next season has begun but the player we have under pre-contract can opt out of we are relegated. That being so, there was thought given on some part to us going down.

I think Harrison's away. I'm sure he initially left on loan but that the deal was then made permanent with him being freed? 

40 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Don't forget Tidser is joining you on Premiership wages.... 

54 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Shagger G was correct in his summation of the Harrison departure. He's gone.

Colkitto was incorrect about Tidser, but then Morton fans getting things wrong is no surprise. I'm still waiting on that points deduction they promised us kicking in. :rolleyes:

None of the reserve players are under contract beyond this season, Mutch excepted.

36 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Don't forget Tidser is joining you on Premiership wages.... 

Will be good to have someone who knows that league if the worst happens.

I'm in the camp of both Hartley and McKinnon will be to blame if the worst happens, I really don't see how McKinnon can be excused, yep he has had a hand tied behind his back but the reality of his own team January onwards should be getting results against the poor standard of opposition we face.

I said at the time we appointed Mckinnon that he is a safe pair of hands but was far too defensive at UTD for my liking and stubborn on a 4-2-3-1 formation, it's came back to similar again. 

He will indeed take all the plaudits if we are safe, but should equally take blame also

4 hours ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Don't want to give McKinnon a free pass here, as he's culpable for some of this, but in his defence you'd want to build a team in the summer and use the diddy cup as an idea of who cuts it and where. 

We're trying to find a formation and starting 11 using players who've never played together and at a point where we need to be rock solid and settled.

This is still Hartley's mess for me. Oh and Alloa have been sensational. I really hope they stay up - they deserve it. We don't 

You want Alloa to stay up over us ??

Christ almighty.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

So, given that it appears to be accepted by the vast majority that we need to adopt a more attacking formation, who would you prefer played wide left?

IMO his crosses are generally better than others in the team. Petra can put in a good ball but can also hit the corner flag at the other side of the park. McGhee, Paton, Dixon tend to hit floated crosses that are easier for teams to defend and none of these players hit the by line on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that Robson is some sort of superstar but I do think that he's one of our more capable players. I think there may be a deeper reason for him not being involved?

We would need to change formation to play someone wide left for me Petra only becuase of his pace, should be easy to beat a man being that quick. Again I am not saying Robson is a bad player and of course is an option but we need to start scoring goals and at least try it by playing two up front. Thats what will save us IMO not whoever plays wide left. 

Guest Ecosse83
41 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

We would need to change formation to play someone wide left for me Petra only becuase of his pace, should be easy to beat a man being that quick. Again I am not saying Robson is a bad player and of course is an option but we need to start scoring goals and at least try it by playing two up front. Thats what will save us IMO not whoever plays wide left. 

No point in playing 2 up top when there isn't chances being created. Playing 3 defensive mids is the big problem for us and that's why the shape needs tweaked.

Robson although a wing back creates more chances than most.

Edited by Ecosse83

46 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

No point in playing 2 up top when there isn't chances being created. Playing 3 defensive mids is the big problem for us and that's why the shape needs tweaked.

Robson although a wing back creates more chances than most.

I said we would need to change formation didn't I? It doesnt matter who plays wide left though Robson or Petra there needs to be someone in the box to attack the ball.

Not sure I agree that Robson creates more chances though wonder if anyone has stats in that respect? 

2 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

Oh I would agree that we need to change formation. IMO we need players on both flanks who have pace, can beat a man and get a cross in. Petra continually needs to stop and switch to his right foot to get a cross in when played left which negates the fact that he's beaten the defender for pace in the first place. I wouldn't be against him as a RWB. He, in theory, has all the attributes for the position. Fast, strong and can cross (sometimes), his positioning would be suspect when defending however and he would need to learn to tackle so it's possibly a step too far to play him there just now (and let's face it, McKinnon won't do that, or play Robson for that matter.)

We need to create more chances, it's not happening with over reliance on the likes of Paton and McGhee to supply them.

The whole point about Robson is the dynamics he brings to an attack. An attacking full back provides a runner on the overlap, creates width which stretches opposition defence, and gets balls into the box from the byline.

We just dont have enough overlap from deep now which results in the laboured sideways stuff in front of organised defences. Tommy gives us width and for all we know he is more of a wing back, hes not some defensive catastrophe that guarantees we get rinsed down his side, hes just defensively less good than Dixon.

Its about options and variety in attack and thats something we lack. The last couple of games, when we have sought to attack at pace and get down the sides of the defenders it has worked. Robson helps to bring that. For me thats why he should play.