The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Get beat on Saturday, and never mind support, the players heads will be gone, and internal recriminations will begin. Veiled as it was, the defence will have heard their manager publicly blame them last week for conceding two goals. Lose again, and it really is over.

It's not over till the fat lady sings but I share the sentiment, I feel we are now playing for 9th at best

2 hours ago, Rocco said:
2 hours ago, BountyBairn said:
Jarvis has been a bit rank, can’t believe anyone wants him leading the line. I’d sooner have Todorov there and I think I’ve seen him play no more than 25 minutes of football for us. 

I thought he was good on Saturday. He caused the defenders plenty of problems and his ball in for Rudden was good. Doesn't matter though as they won't start up top together

Jarvis does the messy work well, it's the part after he struggles with, nearly cost us a goal with him taking too long on the ball, I also don't think he has goals in him

Edited by MrDust

4 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

Can't fault his willingness however I can't remember him beating an opponent too often or putting great crosses in to the box. Robson won't save us from the drop IMO but playing two up front might. Whilst he is a decent wee player he isnt the saviour some are making him out to be. 

You must have a very poor memory then as Robson gets crosses in in every game he plays in. Trouble is we've seldom got anyone in there to take advantage. I'm like a broken record but we need him in the team and we need to go 3-5-2. 

Still think that Petra could make a good RWB too, at least in an attacking sense, but maybe that's going a wee bit too gung ho!

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:
2 hours ago, BountyBairn said:
Jarvis has been a bit rank, can’t believe anyone wants him leading the line. I’d sooner have Todorov there and I think I’ve seen him play no more than 25 minutes of football for us. 

I would at least like to see Todorov given a chance, same with Lavery. Why sign them and don't give them a decent chance in the first team.

Me too. The boys with the jersey haven't been good enough. Those two can't do much worse.

Sorry, but the cynic in me can already conjur up the pre-match team talk on Saturday of “Its vital we don’t lose this. If we keep the point we start with, it’s not the end of the world and we can maybe have a go at Morten next week, so for today, the game plan remains the same. If we can sneak it, that’s great, but let’s not take any risks.”

0-0 or 1-1 (sadly). Doing the “Falkirk thing” and hoping for the unexpected win. We aren’t very good at pulling out those sort of wins when the chips are down though.

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Sorry, but the cynic in me can already conjur up the pre-match team talk on Saturday of “Its vital we don’t lose this. If we keep the point we start with, it’s not the end of the world and we can maybe have a go at Morten next week, so for today, the game plan remains the same. If we can sneak it, that’s great, but let’s not take any risks.”

0-0 or 1-1 (sadly). Doing the “Falkirk thing” and hoping for the unexpected win. We aren’t very good at pulling out those sort of wins when the chips are down though.

I never buy into this with anyone else, but you're genuinely in your element at us being relegated. 

6 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I never buy into this with anyone else, but you're genuinely in your element at us being relegated. 

Well, you’ve just bought badly, but fill your boots. I am still happy to base my opinion on you on your wondrous 5 points for beating Dumbarton calculation. Strange that when you choose to come calling, have never chosen to re-visit that particular gem.

In truth, you know absolutely nothing about me. Happy to keep it that way.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Reekie at CH with Dixon out at LB. Robson left at home.

:rolleyes: That's not what I would do, that's likely the lengths McKinnon will go to to avoid playing Robson.

Too late with your edit. The reddy stays

In all seriousness surely McKinnon isn't that stubborn. We are going to be missing the edge or dkd in the last 2 games. So the team will have to change regardless. Lose the next 2 and win the last 2 in true Falkirk fashion. 

There is no doubt he is a stubborn kind of chap, but that’s not always a bad thing. He was stubborn in drilling in a system that gathered a dozen points with what we had in the first half of the season. He never ever wavered in his strategy of what would get a few points on the board.

He was perhaps overly stubborn in sticking to that basic set up once he had his new players in. It got us a lot of single points, but was perhaps overly cautious. Certainly having gotten us up to 8th, that was always the point when judgement would begin. That we now sit 10th says he has been overly stubborn although he might argue that changing things wouldn’t have gotten us more points, we would have had less. We can never know, but if he doesn’t seek to win games from here on in, I don’t think it will go down too well, and any argument he comes up with for not doing so (if we end up relegated) won’t have too many supporters on his side.

23 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Too late with your edit. The reddy stays

In all seriousness surely McKinnon isn't that stubborn. We are going to be missing the edge or dkd in the last 2 games. So the team will have to change regardless. Lose the next 2 and win the last 2 in true Falkirk fashion. 

The above with no DKD and the edge kinda makes me think to apply a system with Robson for 100% of our remaining games and not 25 or 50%

We are kidding ourselves that will happen tho, when Kidd is on before you when your chasing a game, your time is up at the club.

I don't think we have a decent wing back on tother side for the 3-5-2 also

Edited by MrDust

On 4/10/2019 at 18:45, printer said:

It's not purely down to Goodwin though. We have same nucleus of a team that we've had for three season and those players have been through the disappointment of defeat in the playoff final two years ago and then the success of winning it against the odds and in dramatic fashion last year.

There is an excellent and genuine camaraderie between them. Plus there's a fair bit of leadership too, with Andy Graham outstanding. By all accounts they love playing for Alloa.

This continuity of their playing squad is a definite advantage and is clearly helping Alloa. Contrast that with the state we are in - we will very likely be having our 4th new team in 2 seasons.  I don't believe Ray is a bad manager and if we are relegated the blame lies squarely with those above who took us on this new strategy which has cost us a fortune and may well put us down. This strategy has also forced Ray into somehow recruiting a new team in the middle of the season during the notoriously difficult January Transfer Window  - these strangers then have to blend together and find that team spirit in the middle of a relegation fight with 4 months left in the season. 

Who put us in this position?

I seem to recall, I might be wrong , Craig Campbell boasting (before he went mute & just composed statements or hid behind Margaret) about the new way ahead at the start of the season .   

Don't want to give McKinnon a free pass here, as he's culpable for some of this, but in his defence you'd want to build a team in the summer and use the diddy cup as an idea of who cuts it and where. 

We're trying to find a formation and starting 11 using players who've never played together and at a point where we need to be rock solid and settled.

This is still Hartley's mess for me. Oh and Alloa have been sensational. I really hope they stay up - they deserve it. We don't 

Guest Ecosse83
13 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Don't want to give McKinnon a free pass here, as he's culpable for some of this, but in his defence you'd want to build a team in the summer and use the diddy cup as an idea of who cuts it and where. 

We're trying to find a formation and starting 11 using players who've never played together and at a point where we need to be rock solid and settled.

This is still Hartley's mess for me. Oh and Alloa have been sensational. I really hope they stay up - they deserve it. We don't 

Obviously Hartley is the main culprit but let's not forget we have been in touch for ages now and McKinnon playing for draws has kept us where we are. He deserves credit for keeping us in touch pre January although I'm now thinking playing the way he had to was right up his street. 

This season has been that much of a mess relegation seems inevitable now. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Edited by Ecosse83

We do if we get more points than them

4 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

This continuity of their playing squad is a definite advantage and is clearly helping Alloa. Contrast that with the state we are in - we will very likely be having our 4th new team in 2 seasons.  I don't believe Ray is a bad manager and if we are relegated the blame lies squarely with those above who took us on this new strategy which has cost us a fortune and may well put us down. This strategy has also forced Ray into somehow recruiting a new team in the middle of the season during the notoriously difficult January Transfer Window  - these strangers then have to blend together and find that team spirit in the middle of a relegation fight with 4 months left in the season. 

Who put us in this position?

I seem to recall, I might be wrong , Craig Campbell boasting (before he went mute & just composed statements or hid behind Margaret) about the new way ahead at the start of the season .   

If Falkirk are seeking to employ someone in an off the field role, the name “Craig” (be it surname or Christian),  should be vetoed from the get go. Sorry to all the decent Craig’s out there.