The Falkirk FC Thread

Nae chance. It’ll be McKinnon for the foreseeable. At least two cracks at promotion.

Bit that gets me.....The Edge.....by all accounts, good enough. McKenna....easily good enough, and possibly too good. Dixon.....good enough. McShane......easily good enough. Waddington......good enough. Osman......a bit meh. Burgoyne.....hell yes. DKD......good enough, Rudden......easily good enough. The rest that have been brought in......bit part players at best. That’s 8 players where the general consensus is that they are good enough to keep us in this league, and yet here we are, looking like we won’t be staying in this league. McGhee was already seen as good enough, and Petra  has been our assistant in chief, so why the feck is it collectively only something like 6 points better than the pre New Year rabble which let’s be honest, contained something like 7 punters miles out of their depth.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Nae chance. It’ll be McKinnon for the foreseeable. At least two cracks at promotion.

Bit that gets me.....The Edge.....by all accounts, good enough. McKenna....easily good enough, and possibly too good. Dixon.....good enough. McShane......easily good enough. Waddington......good enough. Osman......a bit meh. Burgoyne.....hell yes. DKD......good enough, Rudden......easily good enough. The rest that have been brought in......bit part players at best. That’s 8 players where the general consensus is that they are good enough to keep us in this league, and yet here we are, looking like we won’t be staying in this league. McGhee was already seen as good enough, and Petra  has been our assistant in chief, so why the feck is it collectively only something like 6 points better than the pre New Year rabble which let’s be honest, contained something like 7 punters miles out of their depth.

Because you're set up not to score goals by McKinnon. 

15 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Because McKinnon has come in, took one look at our squad, and decided that the best chance of survival in this league is to try to make us hard to beat and shitfest as many games as possible. 

And I don't have a problem with that, considering the majority of teams in this league are better than us.

Alloa aren't, however, and to try those same tactics against them was a massive, massive mistake.

Also, I do like my stats, so:

Prior to January: Played 19, Won 3, Drew 4, Lost 12, Points Per Game 0.68

Since January: Played 13, 4, Drew 7, Lost 2, Points Per Game 1.46.

We've definitely improved, but there's also a perfect storm in that there isn't a Brechin this season who are guaranteed to go down, and every team around us is picking up points. We've four games left until the end of the season and there are five teams who could realistically end up bottom. This is the tightest the bottom of the division has been in years.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Because McKinnon has come in, took one look at our squad, and decided that the best chance of survival in this league is to try to make us hard to beat and shitfest as many games as possible. 

And I don't have a problem with that, considering the majority of teams in this league are better than us.

Alloa aren't, however, and to try those same tactics against them was a massive, massive mistake.

Thing is, he was backed to completely overhaul the squad mid season, and maybe he has brought in a few that in a summer overhaul, he wouldn’t have gone near.

My biggest concern is his unwillingness to go out to win games (something of a Pressley signature style). The concern goes beyond what he has seen as a “needs must” for this season, and I wonder if this is how he sees his team performing in a full season. Over 36 games, it would point to circa 10 wins, 20 draws, 6 defeats and give 50 points. It would never be good enough to win a league, but with minor improvement, could probably make the top four most years. However.........it would probably make for a brutal watch.

I really don’t know too much about his Raith/DU style to know if this is his way of navigating through a season, or if he is much more attack minded.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It is and in reality can you see us getting any points in our last 4 games with the way McKinnon sets up the team ?

You still have to play us. That’s three points right away.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It is and in reality can you see us getting any points in our last 4 games with the way McKinnon sets up the team ?

IF we beat Morten, could be interesting stuff.

Yeah we’ve been turgid and we are in the shit but with 4 games left and what 4 points separating the bottom 5, then there’s a few twists yet to come. 

Going by what’s been said on here, in some ways, Alloa winning tonight could be the best thing for you.

Being 3 points off safety with 4 to play, with your last 2 against the top 2, means you have to go all out to win the next two games. Even McKinnon has to know this and surely there is no way he sets up the same way he has been doing.