The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

How many serious injuries has it caused over the years at TFS like? Again people do it at every concert you ever go to and yet again serious injuries are extremely rare.   Again why does football have different H & S rules from every other form of entertainment? 

I'd much rather see every penny spent on the team than something we don't need.  Again the fourth stand is a different thing altogether if you want standing introduced.

No idea, although I have been injured myself.

I would think the rules are different due to the way that a crowd may react at certain times. If a goal was scored in a vital game for example (as indeed it was when I was injured) and the crowd at the back got over exuberant, causing some of them to fall forward it wouldn't take much to fell folk in front of them as they would be hitting and tripping over the seats in front. That could cause a pretty serious chain reaction, at least, that would be the theory and indeed why the authorities insist on folk sitting in the first place. I'm sure I've read on these very pages, accounts of folk telling us that they ended up five rows in front or whatever after a goal was scored.

Whilst people do stand at concerts when they aren't supposed to, it's highly unlikely that they would react in the potential way that some football fans could in certain circumstances. I can't see folk jumping on top of one another when Daniel O'Donnell comes on for an encore for example.

I'm not sticking up for seats v standing BTW. I don't even think that all seated stadiums needed to be forced on clubs in the 1st place. Standing, with adequate crush barriers, would have been perfectly acceptable IMO as long as the numbers being allowed in are strictly controlled.

3 hours ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Does anyone really prefer watching football on artificial pitches?

I can understand where the players are coming from. It's definitely not as good as grass. 

Totally agree. Sadly, it takes big TV money to give you a top quality grass surface. Just look at English Premier playing surfaces now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. I was at a game at Derby’s old Baseball ground in the 70s in January, and there was hardly a blade of grass on the thing. Nowadays, they have the maintenance investment that seems them turned out like giant bowling greens.

They can be made that good in Scotland too, but they need a quarter of a million (at least) a season thrown at them. Arsenal reportedly shell out the best part of a million a season on the Emirates playing surface.  For our market place, taking an artificial surface that perhaps gives a profit of say £40k a year, and giving that up in preference to something (even B quality) that costs £100k to maintain is a big step to take.......and yes, even the ugly sisters grass surfaces are decidedly B quality (and probably C quality tbh).

Edited by Duncan Freemason

4 hours ago, Sgt Bilko said:

Scott McDonald signs for thistle till end of season. 

His recent tv appearances had him looking as slimmer than I can remember, I didnt think he was all that at Utd and time will tell if he is up to much with 6 months or so out, tho the general standard this season has dropped and he could be a big player for Thistle.

Shocking about Mcdonnald to think he turned Falkirk down only six months ago what a u-turn. And to sign for a relegation battle rival..

Not really, and Ray said he only wanted people in who are fully committed. McDonald said he couldn’t fully commit due to his TV obligations. Not arsed he’s signed for thistle.

Rubbish. We had an excellent grass surface when we were in the premier league and I don't recall us having big TV money then.

We had the biggest ever TV money then from Setanta. One of the seasons we turned over nearly £6m. If you are going to spout off at least learn the facts

Actually think McDonald would have signed for us if he wasn’t training on AstroTurf every day. I am not saying I am fussed about it or that we need to rush back to grass just a feeling that was a big part of the issue.

Also on BBC Sportsound last night he mentioned going into a winning environment was attractive. Tells me a few poor results he ain’t really up for the fight.