The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The reference to Dunfermline is an interesting one, and if I recall correctly, involved major sums from five people, and much smaller amounts from the rest. Perhaps our model is coming across as a more attractive proposition to supporters than Patrons.

Also bear in mind that Dunfermline were in perilous state where their very existence was under threat. That tends to bring a very different response to the fore in the short term. It was one of Bryan Jackson’s great skills. He could create and manage the storm clouds of looming disaster, and manage the response to save the club. He pulled off the same trick at Motherwell, Dundee, Hearts, Dunfermline and Portsmouth.

We are not arcing that same storyline of impending cataclysmic doom.......just a slow suffocating demise of ridiculous overheads and ambitions of paying those overheads, and having a football team with whatever is left. A much more difficult sales pitch simply because there’s no monster to slay, or fire to fight.

I agree with much of this. We also had a group of people 6/7 who were able and prepared to put in considerable sums in our time of need. This is a different scenario. No current existential threat to the club. The MSG wants to hand over the heavy lifting to the next generation so this proposal is manna from heaven for them. It's hard to get comfortable handing over, say, £10k as effectively a donation in this context - no real shareholder benefits or influence against some vague idea about a budget to get us promoted. I can understand why the "Patron" pledges have been below expectation. The key to promotion isn't just money - ask Sevco, Hibs and DU. I'd be feeling more exercised if my money was to be hypothecated to finish the ground / buy out the Council, rather than go into a short term wages budget. Seems to me this needs a rethink. As for Bryan Jackson, I think you'll find, whilst he may have done a decent job at DUFC, Hearts and and  Portsmouth had much to do with Trevor Birch.

Bryan Jackson was Trevor Birch’s reference point on all things Portsmouth...and he didn’t do anything at all at DUFC iirc.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Bryan Jackson was Trevor Birch’s reference point on all things Portsmouth.

Not least having been CEO of Chelsea and Sheffield Utd, I dinnae think so but in the spirit of fraternal relations, perhaps let's just agree they worked as a team. 

10 minutes ago, Gus2 said:

The only real question that needs answered is were is Bainsford Bairn going to be today, tomorrow and Friday

We can write off today. BB is a tropical beastie, and won’t venture far from a radiator in weather like this.

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Surely someone at the club can spring him one of this 3/4 length down jackets the managers seem to love. Can't have the signings not getting their photos taken. 

:lol: I`m sure he`ll be the first to agree that he does a lot better in that department than his predecessor!!!

Ooft, not unexpected but a big call nonetheless. I imagine he'd be one of our higher earners too so hopefully this can free up a bit of a wage.

He was never a RB and when moved to CB was only decent without being a standout so I think it's a good call. Always be remembered for the d*ck punch and great penalties.

4 hours ago, Gus2 said:

The only real question that needs answered is were is Bainsford Bairn going to be today, tomorrow and Friday

I don't know if I should be flattered or horrified at all the attention. :1eye 

Nothing photographic today, though I have a wee favour to do for someone at the club this evening. Then there's a ticket initiative and some new sports science stuff to be shot before the weekend.

As of the last update I got from the club at lunchtime, none of the "maybes" have turned into "definites".  So no new signings to be announced today at least. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether anything will happen before we play ICT.

I do know they're as frustrated as the rest of us at the lack of progress. They're trying hard, but once an offer is made it's outwith their control.