The Falkirk FC Thread

Might well be that their new guy has been signed for back up for all I know. IMO though our priority should now be a RB/RWB and he would fit the bill nicely.

He’s certainly more of a RWB. Defending wasn’t his strong suit. Caught out of position due to him getting forward and led to him making stupid tackles.

Wears his heart on his sleeve and you’ll get 100% out him every week.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm not saying any of these guys are for the here and now necessarily but Pittman was at Bo'ness, Ross Stewart was at Kilwinning about 3 years ago, the kid from Kemlin is on trial at Livi, and Thistle have just signed a 17 year old Senegalese boy who was at Pollok. He's a 6'4 physical midfielder, loads to learn but has all the tools to progress.

My point is we shouldn't be ruling out any avenue. It's daft to say we should dedicate all of our efforts to English youth teams or the all to the lower leagues down south, or all to the juniors, but there's something amiss if we're missing out on players like Pittman who play five miles down the road.

Pittman dropped into the Juniors to play under the managership of his Dad. 

The Thistle player was signed in the summer and has been loaned out to Ayrshire juniors for the rest of the season.

Edited by drs

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think anyone is saying ignore it but the amount of junior players capable of playing at Championship level is much less than it was 20/30 years ago.

There are also a lot less local Junior clubs in the local area than there were even 12 months ago.

To sum things up here some are suggesting scouting the Juniors for a rough gem, pretty sure we had a plan of doing the same with scouting the reaches of England academy drop outs and selling them on for a fee and we all know how that one panned out.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Was that not 20 years ago FFS?

Was that when Clyde held their “open trials” week, and anybody who hacked having a go, was welcome to turn up with their boots and strut their stuff? Was that really 20 years ago?

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Was that when Clyde held their “open trials” week, and anybody who hacked having a go, was welcome to turn up with their boots and strut their stuff? Was that really 20 years ago?

No. Maitland and Ronnie MacDonald (of Hamilton fame) came in from the Juniors and literally bought a team of junior players, that over a couple of seasons included the likes of Jack Ross and Mark McLaughlin. They won us the old 2nd Division and established us in the 1st.

The open trials was Graeme Roberts, prior to the season where we beat Celtic in the cup (05/06). To be honest, the importance of the trials was over emphasised; most of that team didn't come from them.

We also had open trials under John Brown when we were finally relegated and that was a total disaster. Most of them were chased by Christmas but already had us relegated.

8 hours ago, drs said:

Pittman dropped into the Juniors to play under the managership of his Dad. 

The Thistle player was signed in the summer and has been loaned out to Ayrshire juniors for the rest of the season.

He's 17 years old so I'd not be expecting him to be strolling around the Thistle midfield dominating games at this age. 

8 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

To sum things up here some are suggesting scouting the Juniors for a rough gem, pretty sure we had a plan of doing the same with scouting the reaches of England academy drop outs and selling them on for a fee and we all know how that one panned out.

What are you suggesting here, scout nowhere? 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

He's 17 years old so I'd not be expecting him to be strolling around the Thistle midfield dominating games at this age. 

What are you suggesting here, scout nowhere? 

Not suggesting we dont scout what i am saying we wanted a different approach from the Houstie era where it was ex Hibs and Hearts in the hope of uncovering another will vaulks we got that at the end of the season.

It all boils down to how good your scouts are at identifying a prospect 

Edited by AL-FFC

1 minute ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Is it looking like we're not going to hit the right pledge amounts to get the fan ownership thing off the ground?

I read the statement as we're not going to hit the right amount to reach the ultimate aim (i.e. hugely dilute the major shareholders down) - I don't think that means it's not getting off the ground. 

Presumably even with the amount raised so far that would begin to move the club towards more fan ownership / less power concentrated with the existing shareholders. Seems like it is a step along the road, albeit not as large a step as was hoped.

It's not been launched for long and I don't think we've had a home game in that time either so I wouldn't say it's a complete cause for concern. We've got 2 home games in a row coming up so there's an opportunity to make a big push at those games for the average supporter.

The issue, as you would imagine,  seems to be the Patron numbers and overall amount raised, hopefully there can be some blending of the options to get the scheme off the ground.

Edited by ilostmyself

It's not great timing with Brexit looming. I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more Patron level money pledged, given we have traditionally had a cadre of quite wealthy fans. 

As I said at the start I think they should have looked at something between monthly and 5K. I think that would have made a difference.

Edited by Bairn Necessities

21 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

From reading it we have ~£240k from the supporter pledges and £270k from the patrons, so £510k of the £800k goal in a reasonably short space of time.

Concern is what percentage of pledges become reality.

We probably need 120-130% of targeted amount pledged to account for drop offs once the commitment becomes reality

It can't be an easy message to write but I thought that email yesterday was a bit off, you're not going to win many fans by implying that people are either 1) tight, 2) don't care about the club enough, or 3) trivialising the amounts (as much as a cup of coffee a week).

I'm in a fortunate position where I can make do without a tenner a month, not everyone can do that. A lot of people view it as their Saturday entertainment for a couple of hours and don't want involved in the running of the club - I don't fall into this category but that's absolutely fine. 

I'm probably being dense, but if people are paying in monthly on the pledges, just push the timescale out and accumulate the shares at a slower rate rather than buying up front? 

The patron part was always ambitious and sounds like this is where they've fallen short of projections. I doubt you're going to win many of them over by talking about the cost of a cup of coffee in a blast email. 

Likewise, saw nothing wrong with the content.

Hopefully between the “One less Costa a week” comparison and the shame of being out funded by Dunfermline’s patrons it immobilises a % of the everyday supporters to pledge monthly & a fair few patrons to do what they can afford to do.

We may not get many more chances for this opportunity. Plus, do we really want another 4 years of this ownership & stewardship?? Not for me.