The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, FalkirkLad said:

I think looking at Junior players is something every team at this level probably does to a certain extent, however if anyone is implying we need to be looking down there for January recruits then you need to give your fucking head a shake.

Maybe when they were told to look at Pittman years ago they should have. 

But instead it was laughed at. 

Nobody is saying sign any juniors in January but they could target a few to play in reserve fixtures, what does that cost? 

The fuckin Juniors - I fucking ask you

There are hundred of honest triers there. One or two gems a year out of the whole lot is no return for senior football clubs to put any serious resource at scouting there.

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

The fuckin Juniors - I fucking ask you

There are hundred of honest triers there. One or two gems a year out of the whole lot is no return for senior football clubs to put any serious resource at scouting there.

We probably spent near on £200.000 on bringing the Juniors from England. 

I'll leave it at that. 

We probably spent near on £200.000 on bringing the Juniors from England. 

I'll leave it at that. 

Naive and without doubt no clue what has happened in player development in the game in the last 20 years

Guest Ecosse83

I just hope we get a decent settled squad that doesn't need revamped every 6 months.

Get a settled squad and work hard on bringing a player in now and again and I'll be happy. Where that player comes from I couldn't give a shit as long as he either improved us or is a very good prospect for the future.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

So basically we need to scout the juniors because 30 to 40 years ago, players slipped through far smaller youth scouting networks? 

I'm not saying any of these guys are for the here and now necessarily but Pittman was at Bo'ness, Ross Stewart was at Kilwinning about 3 years ago, the kid from Kemlin is on trial at Livi, and Thistle have just signed a 17 year old Senegalese boy who was at Pollok. He's a 6'4 physical midfielder, loads to learn but has all the tools to progress.

My point is we shouldn't be ruling out any avenue. It's daft to say we should dedicate all of our efforts to English youth teams or the all to the lower leagues down south, or all to the juniors, but there's something amiss if we're missing out on players like Pittman who play five miles down the road.

I'm not saying any of these guys are for the here and now necessarily but Pittman was at Bo'ness, Ross Stewart was at Kilwinning about 3 years ago, the kid from Kemlin is on trial at Livi, and Thistle have just signed a 17 year old Senegalese boy who was at Pollok. He's a 6'4 physical midfielder, loads to learn but has all the tools to progress.
My point is we shouldn't be ruling out any avenue. It's daft to say we should dedicate all of our efforts to English youth teams or the all to the lower leagues down south, or all to the juniors, but there's something amiss if we're missing out on players like Pittman who play five miles down the road.

I don’t think anyone is saying ignore it but the amount of junior players capable of playing at Championship level is much less than it was 20/30 years ago.

It is about return. For me having good relationships at that level which tips you off of someone maybe capable is enough. Certainly not sending scout to games regularly and the cost that would bring.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think anyone is saying ignore it but the amount of junior players capable of playing at Championship level is much less than it was 20/30 years ago.

It is about return. For me having good relationships at that level which tips you off of someone maybe capable is enough. Certainly not sending scout to games regularly and the cost that would bring.

My original point which started this is that folk shouldn't be laughed out of the building for asking if we are looking for players at that level.

My original point which started this is that folk shouldn't be laughed out of the building for asking if we are looking for players at that level.

If we get tipped off yes. Would I be spending time, effort and resource there. No

1 hour ago, wullie robb said:

Different times and 100% Better scouting system then. 

Scouting was more limited to smaller player pools, we have had various managers in that time period I'm guess you are on about with  them bringing back Scottish players that had failed in England or thier time was up, still happens now but less of them go south.

1 hour ago, wullie robb said:

Bairnardo it's my opinion that the scouts for FFC were better then. 

Lets just start with the dozen or so at the start of the season, under no circumstances that would have happened.  Again my opinion. 

Do you have facts to back this up to prove why your opinion is that ?

A Hartley doesn't cover everything

Edited by MrDust

27 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be disappointed if he ended up back in the Championship.

In his last season with us he looked like he could’ve played in the Premiership easily.

Might well be that their new guy has been signed for back up for all I know. IMO though our priority should now be a RB/RWB and he would fit the bill nicely.