The Falkirk FC Thread

I'd take a draw away to partick any day of the week in our current predicament . They were undoubtedly the more settled side on Saturday but then they had only 3 relatively new players in thats side including the keeper  whilst we had 6.  I still think starting Osman was a mistake in such a big game but its going to take time for us to settle unfortunately.  We need to continue to pick up points though so a draw at our relegation rivals ground isnt a bad result and whilst partick had a lot of ball they did very little with it.
Yep. People forgetting that was the must win game of Particks season, at home against the next shittest side to themselves, and having (like us) had half of the window to strengthen.

They were unable to win that game. Their best shot at 3 points and they failed. I wouls have loved to have seen the scenes if we got a winner but you cant come away lauding that Partick side becasue they hold onto the ball well enough. They failed to win a must win at home against 9th. They are shite.

26 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Correct but as we tinker to get it right results are going against us. Alloa have found their feet and the middle group are all taking points from each other. From Saturdays evidence Partick are way better than us. Ray doesn't need to hit the Panick button yet but we need to start to set up to win games and Pronto or  we could be in the shit. I'd rather we went down fighting trying to attack and win games than play one up and try n scrape the odd point. 

Partick weren't even close to being way better than us so not sure what game you were watching. They had a 10 minute spell where I thought they had us totally pegged back and could feel a goal coming, which it did. Apart from that I thought they offered absolutely nothing, their 2 shots on target seem to back this up. 

Thing that's stood out about Thistle is that they have a lot of the ball but do very little with it. I think Caldwell preferred style of play will be very difficult to pull off in this division unless they invest a lot more than they seem to be doing.

I don't think we were particularly great though and the 2 wingbacks and Osman were noticeably poor. This weeks break will do our side the world of good and will hopefully give the team a chance to gel under a less defensive formation. I think it was right to keep that for these two games though and taking 4/6is a great return. 2 winnable home games coming up next.

A wee bit of pant wetting going on here.
We were set up to play on the break on Saturday, Thistle were really poor at trying to break us down. How many saves did Mitchell have to make?
Alloa are having a great wee run but that won’t last forever and it will be interesting to see how they react when results go against them.
It’s not too far fetched to think the Fifers could find themselves in bother if they don’t get their act together soon.
I am confident that most if not all of our new guys are vastly better than the ones they have replaced and there are likely to be more to come.
8th is where I expect us to finish with a few points to spare.

4 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Hopefully we sign a right back today and we can get both Kidd and EdiBairn to f**k. 

In a back four the left back is a problem too, if we can get a more attacking right wing back then 3-5-2 is easier to shoehorn than 4-4-2 for me.

We had narrow midfield under Houston and depended more on Leahy and sibbs to provide width and the right hand side dependant on Alston only post Duffie

2 hours ago, tirso said:

Have to agree. If I was an opposition manager I'd be targeting left back all day long with Robson there. Just too wee.

It's already happening, high balls on Robson is a no brainer

Just now, MrDust said:

In a back four the left back is a problem too, if we can get a more attacking right wing back then 3-5-2 is easier to shoehorn than 4-4-2 for me.

We had narrow midfield under Houston and depended more on Leahy and sibbs to provide width and the right hand side dependant on Alston only post Duffie

It's already happening, high balls on Robson is a no brainer

Yeah but you cant just not play a fullback because they are small. Philip Lahm was only 5 foot 5 and he did alright at fullback. Dani Alves is 5 foot 6. , Greg Taylor at Kilmarnock is 5 foot 7 and yet still a decent fullback.  Its all about supporting these players to make sure there weaknesses are covered for and you get the most out of their benefits.

Partick done the exact same thing they did at the Falkirk Stadium in the previous fixture. Played the ball from side to side while creating sweet f**k all. Their goal came from us sitting deeper and deeper and was nothing to do with their style of play. Laughing at thistle fans on twitter and also Caldwell stating they controlled the game.

12 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yeah but you cant just not play a fullback because they are small. Philip Lahm was only 5 foot 5 and he did alright at fullback. Dani Alves is 5 foot 6. , Greg Taylor at Kilmarnock is 5 foot 7 and yet still a decent fullback.  Its all about supporting these players to make sure there weaknesses are covered for and you get the most out of their benefits.

Yep two full backs who play with the best around and a player you don't know much about....Hmmmmm

You do realise we are in the championship and not the fancy dan leagues ?

Ps not including a Killie full back in that

35 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Thing that's stood out about Thistle is that they have a lot of the ball but do very little with it. I think Caldwell preferred style of play will be very difficult to pull off in this division unless they invest a lot more than they seem to be doing.

I don't think we were particularly great though and the 2 wingbacks and Osman were noticeably poor. This weeks break will do our side the world of good and will hopefully give the team a chance to gel under a less defensive formation. I think it was right to keep that for these two games though and taking 4/6is a great return. 2 winnable home games coming up next.

Yup agree with this. We did get fortunate with the sending off but so what. If Mckinnon had went gung ho with 6 new signings and lost he'd have for slaughtered for changing it. Now however is the time for fresh,more attacking formation which I think we'l get.

11 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Yep two full backs who play with the best around and a player you don't know much about....Hmmmmm

You do realise we are in the championship and not the fancy dan leagues ?

Ps not including a Killie full back in that

Whose the player I know little about?  I've seen Taylor play often and hes excellent.

A wee bit of pant wetting going on here.
We were set up to play on the break on Saturday, Thistle were really poor at trying to break us down. How many saves did Mitchell have to make?
Alloa are having a great wee run but that won’t last forever and it will be interesting to see how they react when results go against them.
It’s not too far fetched to think the Fifers could find themselves in bother if they don’t get their act together soon.
I am confident that most if not all of our new guys are vastly better than the ones they have replaced and there are likely to be more to come.
8th is where I expect us to finish with a few points to spare.

Neck on the line.

In front of who?

28 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

The point is the same regardless of levels though. No player plays well without support. 

In principal but comparing a freed Sunderland player with internationals who have spent majority of their career with top top clubs and having I'd guess 150 caps or so is laughable. Are going Rudden is the new Pele next ?

At this level you can have players who simply do a job at this level, this season it's avoid relegation, recent seasons it's gain promotion then you bin them as targets change

For me, Robson isn't good enough for a back four for us or Kidd without one of them being found out or targeted

20 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Whose the player I know little about?  I've seen Taylor play often and hes excellent.

Ok, you after Mitchell's job