The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Right back is his only prospect of being on the park at all now. Centre back is covered, as is midfield. If he can't get into RB before Kidd or McGhee we would be as well emptying him.

I'd probably rather have him in there than Kidd to be fair. 

Experienced doesn’t really matter we just need better.

Haber was the experienced striker and look how rancid he was. Give me an Andy Nelson over some c**t like that any day.

Experienced in the sense of first team football I maybe should have said rather than someone late 20’s. Nelson would be great if we could get him.

30 minutes ago, spud131 said:

See when we're announcing new signings it always says "Falkirk fc is delighted...", should it not be "Falkirk fc are delighted...". I know it's a totally minor thing and the least of the clubs problems but it annoys me everytime I see it but I'm not sure if I'm right or not!

After a collective noun a fair amount of latitude is allowed.

Depends on the context.

As Falkirk FC is obviously a collective of persons, then it could be said that ‘are’is more appropriate .

However, the singular ‘is’ equally acceptable.

Really impressed that people on here are bothered by grammar as some of the posts are almost unintelligible.

Very refreshing.

16 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Not a single one even the one from Everton he named was the one rumoured during the summer, the rest were apparently we were looking at but the player (s) had other offers.

I haven't said anyone is 'signing'. I've given names we're looking at. I have been right so far with all the players going and the positions we're bringing in.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

After a collective noun a fair amount of latitude is allowed.

Depends on the context.

As Falkirk FC is obviously a collective of persons, then it could be said that ‘are’is more appropriate .

However, the singular ‘is’ equally acceptable.

Really impressed that people on here are bothered by grammar as some of the posts are almost unintelligible.

Very refreshing.

Grammar maketh the Bairn

37 minutes ago, spud131 said:

See when we're announcing new signings it always says "Falkirk fc is delighted...", should it not be "Falkirk fc are delighted...". I know it's a totally minor thing and the least of the clubs problems but it annoys me everytime I see it but I'm not sure if I'm right or not!

No, 'Falkirk Football Club' is not a collective noun, it's a single entity, so 'is' is appropriate.

1 minute ago, EdiBairn said:

I haven't said anyone is 'signing'. I've given names we're looking at. I have been right so far with all the players going and the positions we're bringing in.

Your on glue. as for positions we are looking at we have a whole first team needing replaced that's like telling someone they are going to have a birthday sometime in the next year. take your pick at positions as a team as woeful as we have been they all need replaced.

Still waiting on Dallison leaving today though and Robson being released

Official site says McKenna has been training with us and Ray has been very impressed by him. 

Hearts wanted him but he wanted to play first team football. Very confident lad I believe