The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, wullie robb said:

Why does everyone persist with who needs to go ? 

Anyone that even has a little football knowledge ruled 80% of this squad as non starter's back in September, everyone became a little exited with the news of Bauben? Another player that has no interest in fighting for a Falkirk Jersey, just his next move. 

Until you have player's that actually want to play for Falkirk the trend is going to continue. 

How many actually think January is the turning point. OK it gives us something to hope for but I'm sure the other useless team's are thinking the same. 

Watching the excellent "Sunderland Til I Die" on Netflix , it was interesting hearing Martin Bain (prize fud) complaining that it was very very difficult to persuade players to go to Sunderland , even on loan,  because of their league position. They were bottom & it was the January window - sounds familiar. 

A current payer added that players might come but you will have to pay over the odds in terms of wages. No players wants relegation on their CV.

I think it will be tough but not impossible , the trick will be to get these stop gap players to sign for half a season only - well the decent ones.

1 minute ago, Hank von Hell said:

Watching the excellent "Sunderland Til I Die" on Netflix , it was interesting hearing Martin Bain (prize fud) complaining that it was very very difficult to persuade players to go to Sunderland , even on loan,  because of their league position. They were bottom & it was the January window - sounds familiar. 

A current payer added that players might come but you will have to pay over the odds in terms of wages. No players wants relegation on their CV.

I think it will be tough but not impossible , the trick will be to get these stop gap players to sign for half a season only - well the decent ones.

England offers up an entirely different market place though. Never mind league position, most top players down south want a salary lift to play in Middlesbrough, or Sunderland or Newcastle. The vast majority would take a smaller wage to play for a club further south.

Up here, it’s different. It’s both financially and geographically small compared to England. Just look at our top flight clubs. Sevco, Celtic, Rangers, St Mirren, Hamilton, Motherwell are all comfortably within half an hour of one another.  The Launderers, Hearts and Hibs within an hour, Dundee and the Farmers an hour and a half tops, with only Aberdeen breaking the two hour mark. Compare that to a Bournemouth v Newcastle.

Players up here are driven by a different set of priorities. For most, it’s not about becoming  a millionaire and buying a house outright with one season’s earnings.

29 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Just came on to comment about this. I feel like it's like watching us go through the wringer but on a bigger scale

11 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Just came on to comment about this. I feel like it's like watching us go through the wringer but on a bigger scale

The difference with us is that we actually have owners who care about the club. We also now have an outstanding manager in place.

31 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

England offers up an entirely different market place though. Never mind league position, most top players down south want a salary lift to play in Middlesbrough, or Sunderland or Newcastle. The vast majority would take a smaller wage to play for a club further south.

Up here, it’s different. It’s both financially and geographically small compared to England. Just look at our top flight clubs. Sevco, Celtic, Rangers, St Mirren, Hamilton, Motherwell are all comfortably within half an hour of one another.  The Launderers, Hearts and Hibs within an hour, Dundee and the Farmers an hour and a half tops, with only Aberdeen breaking the two hour mark. Compare that to a Bournemouth v Newcastle.

Players up here are driven by a different set of priorities. For most, it’s not about becoming  a millionaire and buying a house outright with one season’s earnings.

Your argument is based on us only signing players from Scotland  - unless Houstie is back I would very much doubt that to be the case.

PS - how come Sevco and Rangers are 2 different clubs - unless you are including the dead club?

Edited by Hank von Hell

12 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

The difference with us is that we actually have owners who care about the club. We also now have an outstanding manager in place.

Just like Sunderland though we have owners that put sod all money into the club.

Well at least theirs once did.

4 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Just like Sunderland though we have owners that put sod all money into the club.

Well at least theirs once did.

Unlike Sunderland our owners don't have billions of pounds available to fund football clubs. Even so, they have put in substantial 7 figure funds,  without which the club would no longer exist.

Edited by EdiBairn

33 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Your argument is based on us only signing players from Scotland  - unless Houstie is back I would very much doubt that to be the case.

PS - how come Sevco and Rangers are 2 different clubs - unless you are including the dead club?

Past my bedtime wrt Rangers/Sevco.

The driver for English players coming to the Championship in Scotland is different yet again. Money wise, it’s seldom if ever a big step up. You can easily get down to the fourth and fifth tier down south, and still find earning potential higher than Scottish Championship. It tends to be “fresh start” guys, or the few (like Will Vaulks) who slip through the net for any number of reasons.

26 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Unlike Sunderland our owners don't have billions of pounds available to fund football clubs. Even so, they have put in substantial 7 figure funds,  without which the club would no longer exist.

If we are going all the way back to 1998 , I recall the money from Colin Liddell's consortium went to a certain Mr Fulston to buy his shares and not as an investment into the club.

There's no doubt we would not exist without these guys but it also had a lot to do with Eddie Healy's 1.7M loan - which was repaid from the sale of good old Brockville.

A great piece of club saving financial dealing , helped in no small part by the thick , inexperienced, poor supporters.    

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

A great piece of club saving financial dealing , helped in no small part by the thick , inexperienced, poor supporters.    

Clearly the fans did an incredible job in helping to save the club in 1998. However, being able to fundraise doesn't equate to being able to run a football club(which fans should be kept clear of IMO).

I actually think the patron model by itself could work because you'd have knowledgeable, successful businesspeople making decisions. I'd be looking to put the kibosh on the wider fan ownership idea for a narrower, high minimum investment model. You could even set it at a slightly lower level like £1k.

Edited by EdiBairn

1 hour ago, EdiBairn said:

I actually think the patron model by itself could work because you'd have knowledgeable, successful businesspeople making decisions. I'd be looking to put the kibosh on the wider fan ownership idea for a narrower, high minimum investment model. You could even set it at a slightly lower level like £1k.

What a bit like that consortium represented by Craig101 you mean?

6 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

What a bit like that consortium represented by Craig101 you mean?

The addition of experienced and well-funded businesspeople to the existing shareholder pool would be positive, and would be welcomed by the BoD. Certainly preferable to a general fan ownership scheme.

Edited by EdiBairn

13 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Liam Craig at StJohnstone for example does not get a regular game and would be the class act in midfield we require. 

Liam Craig has started in our last 10 games, and has featured in every single game we've played this season.

Zero clue how you've decided he's not getting a game.

Only "cast off" we've got worth mentioning is Stefan Scougall.