The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

If you paid to go the cinema, and the boy behind the counter dropped your popcorn, would you launch into a barrage of abuse at him? Course you wouldn't, that would be the act of an utter nutter. And let's not pretend it's a sports thing, I've been to many rugby games over the years and it's rare to hear abuse 0of a football level. Doesn't happen in cricket or tennis. Worst that happens in golf is someone making farty noises when someone's lining up a shot. So I'm not even buying the tribalism part of it, since it seems to be almost unique to football. 

What seems to have grown up around football in particular is a culture of abuse towards the players and hatred towards the opposition with a tasty side order of racism and hooliganism. It's worrying that nobody seems willing or able to see how the whole thing feeds itself. How the dad that willingly takes the kid to football and let's the kid see h abuse people is normalizing the abuse of people? 

I'll shut up though since I'm the only person that feels that way and leave you all to your justifications of abusing people. 

But then in none of those instances do you ever get the other end of the scale, if the popcorn gets delivered to you go absolutely mental, hugging random people you're likely to never talk too, cheering and become a delirious mess? Of course you don't. 

In golf you politely clap a good shot, don't even try and compare Rugby to football, not even on the same level. 

There's very few, if any sports where the fans get into it in such a way, completely eradicate the fans calling the other teams fans c***s and you in turn eradicate the other scale, sanitise the atmosphere to that degree and football no longer is the best game in the world. 

10 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

If you wouldn't shout it at someone in Farmfoods, I don't see how you can justify it at football, other than with the weak as hell "it's the football, it's different" pish. 

If that's the only way you can think of to tell someone they are bad at their job, crack on. Just don't act outraged when the young lads around you grow up thinking that abusing people at a sports match is normal. 

Stood at Brockville hearing a lot worse and it never harmed me.  Some people just take it far too seriously in my book.

39 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

If you paid to go the cinema, and the boy behind the counter dropped your popcorn, would you launch into a barrage of abuse at him? Course you wouldn't, that would be the act of an utter nutter. And let's not pretend it's a sports thing, I've been to many rugby games over the years and it's rare to hear abuse 0of a football level. Doesn't happen in cricket or tennis. Worst that happens in golf is someone making farty noises when someone's lining up a shot. So I'm not even buying the tribalism part of it, since it seems to be almost unique to football. 

What seems to have grown up around football in particular is a culture of abuse towards the players and hatred towards the opposition with a tasty side order of racism and hooliganism. It's worrying that nobody seems willing or able to see how the whole thing feeds itself. How the dad that willingly takes the kid to football and let's the kid see h abuse people is normalizing the abuse of people? 

I'll shut up though since I'm the only person that feels that way and leave you all to your justifications of abusing people. 

Doesnt happen in cricket. Aye right . Have you ever been to the likes of the MCG for a test match?

On Campbell and Lang.  I've been watching Falkirk since the late 70's and over that 40 odd year period before they were employed I saw Falkirk in relegation trouble from the second tier once . AT's final season. Campbell and Lang have been in charge for 2 seasons and in each we have been threatened with relegation from the championship.  Is that not enough evidence never mind the other pish as to why this pair should go.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

My nephew was told ,before the start of the season, by Hartley himself that he hadn't seen the English lads "live". He didn't have to , as we had an English scout that he trusted.  He had no reason to make this up back then.

How do you know he saw "some" or "the majority" or "four or six" or maybe twelvety ?  Seems a bit hairy fairy.

Sounds like Hartley right enough...

IMO the club are in a awful mess on and off the park . I don't know much about the shareholders apart from Miller and I wouldn't trust him with my pocket money 

The agm is the place to make changes but don't be surprised if they all back each other with the votes 

A club like Falkirk can't afford to be relegated . simple 

The club need cleared from top to bottom Now 

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yeah!

Why have you not trekked to Australia for a match between two teams you're not interested in, in a sport you most likely don't care about!

Sory the post was to highlight the fact that abuse does happen in cricket on a regular basis both here and abroad.  

I think the argument has to be about the type of abuse.

Football is theatre (or panto in our case), groaning and moaning about poor play is fair imo and like others have said, can be taken as balance for the wild celebrations that you can get, like we had up in Inverness. If you remove the tribal aspect of football then all you're left with is the quality on display which might not go down too well for us...

For me, the issues come up whenever the abuse goes beyond footballing ability and that's where the line should be drawn.

4 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I think the argument has to be about the type of abuse.

Football is theatre (or panto in our case), groaning and moaning about poor play is fair imo and like others have said, can be taken as balance for the wild celebrations that you can get, like we had up in Inverness. If you remove the tribal aspect of football then all you're left with is the quality on display which might not go down too well for us...

For me, the issues come up whenever the abuse goes beyond footballing ability and that's where the line should be drawn.

Aye, this. Giving them pelters on the pitch because they are shite is fair enough but when it gets to the stage where they are still getting it tight because people are sending them private messages on social media it's a step too far.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

My nephew was told ,before the start of the season, by Hartley himself that he hadn't seen the English lads "live". He didn't have to , as we had an English scout that he trusted.  He had no reason to make this up back then.

How do you know he saw "some" or "the majority" or "four or six" or maybe twelvety ?  Seems a bit hairy fairy.

During pre-season I was present when he was asked about the recruitment of the English players. This happened twice: once at a talk to a group of sponsors and once by a visitor when he was in one of the club offices. 

On both occasions the answer was similar to yours. Hartley gave a vague response about trusting people, but was very careful not to give out numbers. For that reason I'm a little surprised that he apparently answered your nephew more precisely.

As I didn't get that precise answer, I mentioned it to one of the staff during a conversation a few weeks later. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit now that I can't remember the exact details of what he told me, but I think it was around four English players that PH had seen personally before signing them. Hence why I'm a little hairy fairy. :geek 

(why are there no "fairy" emoticons btw?)

18 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

During pre-season I was present when he was asked about the recruitment of the English players. This happened twice: once at a talk to a group of sponsors and once by a visitor when he was in one of the club offices. 

On both occasions the answer was similar to yours. Hartley gave a vague response about trusting people, but was very careful not to give out numbers. For that reason I'm a little surprised that he apparently answered your nephew more precisely.

As I didn't get that precise answer, I mentioned it to one of the staff during a conversation a few weeks later. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit now that I can't remember the exact details of what he told me, but I think it was around four English players that PH had seen personally before signing them. Hence why I'm a little hairy fairy. :geek 

(why are there no "fairy" emoticons btw?)

Somebody said that right enough but I stuck up for you!!!Tutu and wand for Christmas ??:thumsup2

13 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Somebody said that right enough but I stuck up for you!!!Tutu and wand for Christmas ??:thumsup2

Funnily enough, as I was typing that out a certain member of staff came to mind. A jovial little chap who sometime gets the urine extracted as a result of his height. And who could do with a shave and a haircut. :lol:

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Telling someone that they are pish is fine, yelling all game that someone's a fucking useless c**t? In a stadium with kids in it? Anyone defending that is a total roaster imo. 

I feel like you skipped past the points we've made and just took it to an extreme. There is a family section at the stadium and people using the language you describe should not sit there, which I think is the point in it. I still think that we should be allowed to voice our opinions in the stadium as long as we don't cross the line, if that makes me a total roaster then so be it!