The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

I think that's a bit revisionist. I don't remember howls of despair when he left us and he was in and out of the team under a few managers. I think he can be an asset to a good team with his occasional quality but not the type of player you want when you're battling for points. Which is why Ray won't be signing him.

not sure if you're taking the piss or not, Alston always gave 110% for the navy blue, would be brilliant to have him right now

6 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

Edibairn/Sheps/Campbell, you’ve actually been talking a lot of sense recently and also been surprisingly positive, however to try and genuinely say Alston wouldn’t walk into our current team and be the best player in it and one of the best players in the league to boot is just ridiculous.

This

Agree that Edibairn had been making some reasonable points recently but his credibility has gone right down the shitter with his comments on Alston.

Don't believe for a moment that we are going to sign Alston but would be a superb addition if we did.

22 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

Still have you been to Livingston? 

God knows who his agent is but if I was him I would be getting shot.  Surely Livi cant be the only club that were  interested in him on a free and it was pretty obvious to anyone and their dug that his style of play isnt anything thats going to fit in with them.  Dreadful panic decision by him and his agent.

I'd have Alston back before Sibbald if you ask me.  Scored a load of goals from midfield even when played in a position that wasn't his strongest.  Replacing him and Vaulks with Craigen and Rankin was the start of Houstons downfall.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

God knows who his agent is but if I was him I would be getting shot.  Surely Livi cant be the only club that were  interested in him on a free and it was pretty obvious to anyone and their dug that his style of play isnt anything thats going to fit in with them.  Dreadful panic decision by him and his agent.

I wish I had a pound for every player who went to the wrong club.

I highly doubt the player or agent gives style of play a consideration. How much am I getting a week?

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I wish I had a pound for every player who went to the wrong club.

I highly doubt the player or agent gives style of play a consideration. How much am I getting a week?

Paying for it now then by the fact he's hardly kicked a ball and everyone under the sun could tell it was a stupid move. Still doubt he'll be crawling back with his tail between his legs any time soon mind you.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

This

Agree that Edibairn had been making some reasonable points recently but his credibility has gone right down the shitter with his comments on Alston.

Don't believe for a moment that we are going to sign Alston but would be a superb addition if we did.

I loved a bit of Alston. Would have been a great player with just a yard more pace.

IMHO opinion i reckon Sibbs was swayed a lot by Lee Miller if your mates going to be there its going to help you settle a lot, even in one of his post match interviews when he came back from injury when asked if he still wanted away he said more than ever which as well as a few others Hartley might have wanted him there but Sibbs didn't want to be there with PH there (am guessing) but there was a lot of underlying things that haven't helped his case namely Hopkin leaving the club a new manager coming in regardless if he knew him or not. if your hating the place your in  and wanting a move then you will jump at anything just to get away from a shite situation.

can we afford to get rid of the deadwood?  would it cost money to get rid of a lot of them?

It does sound like Ray is just treading water until then.  Will be interesting to see just how much of an overhaul is on the cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if we just got three or four players in.

8 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

IMHO opinion i reckon Sibbs was swayed a lot by Lee Miller if your mates going to be there its going to help you settle a lot, even in one of his post match interviews when he came back from injury when asked if he still wanted away he said more than ever which as well as a few others Hartley might have wanted him there but Sibbs didn't want to be there with PH there (am guessing) but there was a lot of underlying things that haven't helped his case namely Hopkin leaving the club a new manager coming in regardless if he knew him or not. if your hating the place your in  and wanting a move then you will jump at anything just to get away from a shite situation.

You've got to be really desperate though to jump ship to Livi and play in front of 700 home fans every week alongside a flasher and convicted thug.  I would reckon him coming back would be a complete disaster giving how desperate he obviously was to get out of Falkirk when he left.

1 hour ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I loved a bit of Alston. Would have been a great player with just a yard more pace.

Edibairn has a point to a certain extent, to me Alston would walk in to the team we have just now and I would take him in a heartbeat. However there wasn't really that much of a big deal made when he left and the fact he went to St Johnston says it all. Good player with us but part of the almost club that didn't win us promotion (not solely down to Alston).  Some cracking goals against Sevco to remember him by though. 

12 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

I'm not sure if Alston is really what we need at the moment. He has the tendency to be invisible in too many games for me, which may be fine if you have good quality players around you, but it's the last thing you need in  relegation fight with poor players.

If it was Alston in isolation you may have a point. However if, as you claim, Ray brings in 8 or 9 players it would be reasonable to assume that these will be better quality than those already here with some capable of doing the things that Alston can't, therefore I think he'd be a great addition to the squad. (Not that it'll happen right enough)

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If it was Alston in isolation you may have a point. However if, as you claim, Ray brings in 8 or 9 players it would be reasonable to assume that these will be better quality than those already here with some capable of doing the things that Alston can't, therefore I think he'd be a great addition to the squad. (Not that it'll happen right enough)

Even if he was the only player coming in he'd be far better than anything we have at the minute in midfield. 

I'm not saying its the only problem but the biggest issue we have other than Rudden we havent got an out and out goal scorer, defensively i think our biggest issue was trying to pair up Harrison and Dallison (in football terms its like mixing electricity and water)  with Brough on the left but Defensively to a degree we have sorted our shit out with the only major issue apart from not having a natural RB being Fasan. Midfield wise though we need someone that can create something as since Sibbs left we dont really have that.

back on about Sibbs again if someone else offered you 200 pounds a week more than your current job then i think most of us would be off the other issue that i dare say was a reason he wanted away was that any manager he worked with wasn't Paul Hartley.

if its true that he is now surplus to requirements at livi. i hold no grudges with him, and would have him back. he wanted to try elsewhere, was getting more money and new manager that wasnt mr hartley...if he didnt go it would always be on his mind, what if?

We all seem to have a wee obsession with ex players coming back. Perhaps it is a case that then you know what we are getting but I think we will see a lot of players we may know but are not ex Players. Please not keech from lower league England Ray as we know they can be good looking lads who don’t know a football very well