The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Colkitto said:
I can just see all those potential January signings right now saying to themselves "Can't wait to join Falkirk at the transfer window" 

Money talks m8. Thats why we have your manager and why you are scraping about trying to get some pity compo for it.

:thumsup2

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I 10-2 think that that was quite a Spartan effort by Morten today, however at least you've got the luxury of a midweek replay against one of the seaside teams. You've done quite well against such teams so many times in the past after all! :thumsup2

:1eye

In struggling to feel we are in a position to sign any quality come January. Who in their right mind will want to sign for a club rooted to the bottom of the 2nd tier, out of all cups and, to make it worse, getting absolutely pumped off the team currently propping up the third tier.

We would not be able to attract players currently at clubs unless the money talks and then you've got to ask if you want a player who has moved purely for the money.

You can pick up free agents but then you get another Dumbaya who hasn't played yet due to lack of fitness.

Please tell me that Ray has a plan?

10 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

In struggling to feel we are in a position to sign any quality come January. Who in their right mind will want to sign for a club rooted to the bottom of the 2nd tier, out of all cups and, to make it worse, getting absolutely pumped off the team currently propping up the third tier.

We would not be able to attract players currently at clubs unless the money talks and then you've got to ask if you want a player who has moved purely for the money.

You can pick up free agents but then you get another Dumbaya who hasn't played yet due to lack of fitness.

Please tell me that Ray has a plan?

I suppose we might be able to get some loanees in if their current manager feels that a relegation fight may be good for building character or whatever.

51 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:
Aero in for Harrison was a big mistake today. Thought McKinnon had the sense to see the fragile stability he had in the defence without Aero, but he blew it big time today by putting him back in.

Harrison got injured in the warm up.

Then fair enough. It was a choice he had to make. I hope it finally was enough to show the affect Aero’s presence has on those around him. All the baby step defensive progress of the last few games was lost in 90 minutes of Aero’s command and control. He is no worse a player than any around him, but he is seriously damaging in the role of a leader on the park.

Oh well. Survival is the only target now.

I hope the cash the Board have set aside for the January is enough to sort this utter shambles out.

Utterly outfought and out thought too. Did a proper job on the two full backs. Crosses in from the right to a giant at the back post.

Can our humiliation get much worse?

Oh I think it can. McKinnon’s interview showed to me at least, a manager near enough at the end of his tether with a good number of these comedians.

God only knows where he starts. For me, the defence needs to revert to “no Aero” asap. In terms of new players, two midfield and two up front should be enough to transform the team sufficiently. I still remain completely unconvinced that January is going to deliver 8 players capable of being first team starters.

If we can come up with a fifth player, then I guess that will be a keeper. A few today blaming McKinnon for his tactics, but that’s not the problem here. He is fielding more than half a team that he has absolutely no faith in as individuals.

As someone else alluded to, we have discussed this mob to death, and I think I too will back off for a while until the playing staff starts to change. Even Roget’s Thesaurus eventually runs out of alternate ways of describing things as being awful.

The manager will do what he believes is right. He will continue to play people that he doesn’t want to, because he has no alternative. Another five or six weeks to go, and then if nothing else, there will be wee moments of joy seeing some of the current squad disappear forever even if there are no immediate replacements coming in.

it is indeed a fine mess Hartley has gotten us into. Could do the Laurel and Hartley stuff, and the Hartley jam stuff, but nah, not today.

Think today also showed (not that this was news) that we can't compete in any game where we aren't content to give the opposition 70% of the ball and hoof it clear. 

Plus Dennon Lewis is worse than any forward we've had in living memory. Including the likes of Shovel Heid and Taylor Morgan. Genuinely incredible how bad he is. 

Oh I think it can. McKinnon’s interview showed to me at least, a manager near enough at the end of his tether with a good number of these comedians.
God only knows where he starts. For me, the defence needs to revert to “no Aero” asap. In terms of new players, two midfield and two up front should be enough to transform the team sufficiently. I still remain completely unconvinced that January is going to deliver 8 players capable of being first team starters.
If we can come up with a fifth player, then I guess that will be a keeper. A few today blaming McKinnon for his tactics, but that’s not the problem here. He is fielding more than half a team that he has absolutely no faith in as individuals.
As someone else alluded to, we have discussed this mob to death, and I think I too will back off for a while until the playing staff starts to change. Even Roget’s Thesaurus eventually runs out of alternate ways of describing things as being awful.
The manager will do what he believes is right. He will continue to play people that he doesn’t want to, because he has no alternative. Another five or six weeks to go, and then if nothing else, there will be wee moments of joy seeing some of the current squad disappear forever even if there are no immediate replacements coming in.
it is indeed a fine mess Hartley has gotten us into. Could do the Laurel and Hartley stuff, and the Hartley jam stuff, but nah, not today.

Good summary of our plight.
The tiny rays of light are that the teams just above us are poor with apparently inferior managers (Goodwin making a decent fist of it at Alloa to be fair), not too long until we can empty these wage thieves and hopefully put a competitive team on the park and somehow we are not already too far behind.
I do think that we will survive but it’s going to be a hell of a struggle.

I just don't get this obsession with slating Muirhead at any opportunity. The man's not the most skilful but he's played nearly 200 games at this level under 4 different managers for a reason(including 2 seasons where we finished 2nd). Let's not forget he was in the team when we stopped the rot against County. 

He certainly wasn't great today but neither was anyone on the pitch(including Tommy Robson, who seems to be beyond criticism). We have at least 7 or 8 players needing replaced before Aaron Muirhead for me. Luckily we have a manager in charge who knows this.

Edited by EdiBairn

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Good summary of our plight.
The tiny rays of light are that the teams just above us are poor with apparently inferior managers (Goodwin making a decent fist of it at Alloa to be fair), not too long until we can empty these wage thieves and hopefully put a competitive team on the park and somehow we are not already too far behind.
I do think that we will survive but it’s going to be a hell of a struggle.

Will "emptying the wage thieves" be possible?

What sort of contracts have all these imposters got?

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

A competent goalkeeper should be high on the list of priorities. It's a must. The midfield is a massive issue and needs completely gutted. Irving has some talent but appears incapable of imposing himself on a game, beyond the odd flash. here and there. Hopefully absolutely no consideration will be given to extending his loan deal. Sammut is a little boy lost and needs despatched back to where he came from if the contract allows. Bauben could be a quality player, but there's a reason why he was still unattached in October. He'd need to play 3 or 4 consecutive games in December to have any chance of being kept on, a pity, but he's just not reliable. McKee has scored a couple of goals but his performances have been largely anonymous. Frighteningly, Paton is now emerging as pretty much the first pick in that area of the park. Up front, goodbye to Haber if contract allows, Lewis should be advised to start considering alternative careers, retain Rudden if possible, Petravicius could be a decent option off the bench but would not like to see him starting every week . At least one decent forward needs to be recruited, and McKinnon has also spoken of the dearth of wide options, I'd like to see a couple of proper wingers coming in, not had one for years. So really, in an ideal world you're looking at about 6 recruits without even considering the defence.

But, as others have stated, the idea that, come 1st January, we're going to have five or six players ready to go is fantasy stuff. We are a deeply unattractive proposition at the moment. The likes of Dundee, St Mirren and Partick are in the same boat - terrible summer recruitment=rancid season=change of manager=desire to bring in own players, they'll all be rummaging about in a similar market to us. It won't be popular, but our best  recruitment strategy might be looking in the lower leagues for guys who woulf still see signing for Falkirk as a step-up, with half an eye on where we might be playing next season.