The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

Prize for the best comment of the evening went to the person who pointed out that there`s only one way to get promoted and that`s to invest serious money in the team and used Ross County as an example.

We`ve been trying to do it on the cheap year after year and until we understand this, we won`t progress.

Straight to the point and seemed to be accepted by ML.

Don't fully agree. St mirren, hamilton and livie have all got promoted on smaller budgets than us. We just have to hope that mckinnon is the manager we've been looking for for the past ten years and that his recruitment is far better than the last 5 or it won't matter a feck how much cash we fling at it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Project Brave only started this year. I'm going to push the boat out here and suggest you haven't brought any decent players through in the last 3 or 4 months!

Problem we had was selling players at a younger and yoinger age with less and less first team experience. That has created barren years as the players who should be filling our side have been flogged already. Our under 15s squad were the best in scotland for their age but unfortunately it wont be us that benefits from any of that talent.

Just now, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Smack him round the head and tell him he's Vaulks. 

Let's not use Livi as an example of anything. I'm not convinced they've learned any lessons from the last time they were up and then down. 

Fair point, though United basically have our board, but with money. Same shitty talent when it comes to decisions, just more money to throw at them. 

To be fair, it was all rosy until Masterton got found out and the bank asked for all the dodgy loans he had signed off back. 

Whatever u think of livi their wage bill is still nowhere near ours. They have shown the way in signing talented players from the juniors and seaside leagues that no-one else deemed good enough.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Seemed to work for Livingston last season.

Livingston did indeed “invest money”. The best adjective for it wasn’t “serious” though.

38 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Don't fully agree. St mirren, hamilton and livie have all got promoted on smaller budgets than us. We just have to hope that mckinnon is the manager we've been looking for for the past ten years and that his recruitment is far better than the last 5 or it won't matter a feck how much cash we fling at it.

The point the guy was making last night was without serious funding (and a competent manager  who can spend it wisely) then promotion hopes become a lottery and it`s a lottery that we`ve failed to buy a winning ticket in for the last 8 years.

6 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Again I'm not up to speed on all things board and academy but have we brought through any decent players since the whole project brave thing came into force? 

There is nothing better than seeing a good youth the club has produced coming into the team but it honestly feels like that hasn't happened for a good while now. Maybe there is reasons for that like the managers not giving them a chance. 

Hopefully if we get things sorted on the park and actually manage to get promotion to the top flight the club will reintroduce  some sort of youth setup on a smaller scale to what we had. 

All we needed was one multi million pound sale. Kilmarnock , Motherwell , Hamilton , St Johnstone ,  all clubs of a comparable support and size have done it. This has given them the financial strength to stay in the top division.  Failure to produce one major sale since the academy started can only be seen as an abject failure of the whole academy structure.  If the club do start an academy again. Then it has to have the right people from top to bottom, scouting , sport science , coaching all with the aim of getting players good enough for that big sale that will transform the club. 

Tell Paton he's suspended for 10 games

Paton is the type of player we really need, his job is to break play up put in the odd crunching tackle in . He adds physically to the middle of the park, one thing I noticed was his fitness levels than other night.
Remember this guy was out the game for a while and only now his fitness levels are improving...not claiming he's a world beater but if he does the job he's meant to do he may be very effective.
Do you honestly think Ray would play him if he did not trust him or had someone who could do his role better?
Be interested to see how we cope on Saturday without him. I say let's all give the guy a break and see if he can produce the form that he has done in the past. The guys confidence must be rock bottom hearing some of the vile abuse aimed at him every week.
Yes I can understand how everyone feels he has not been as good are we expected but then again who has? The signs are he's improving...i think he's carried the scapegoat tag enough. Time to get off the guys back.

Paton is the type of player we really need, his job is to break play up put in the odd crunching tackle in . He adds physically to the middle of the park, one thing I noticed was his fitness levels than other night.
Remember this guy was out the game for a while and only now his fitness levels are improving...not claiming he's a world beater but if he does the job he's meant to do he may be very effective.
Do you honestly think Ray would play him if he did not trust him or had someone who could do his role better?
Be interested to see how we cope on Saturday without him. I say let's all give the guy a break and see if he can produce the form that he has done in the past. The guys confidence must be rock bottom hearing some of the vile abuse aimed at him every week.
Yes I can understand how everyone feels he has not been as good are we expected but then again who has? The signs are he's improving...i think he's carried the scapegoat tag enough. Time to get off the guys back.
Not sure if serious

12 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

All we needed was one multi million pound sale. Kilmarnock , Motherwell , Hamilton , St Johnstone ,  all clubs of a comparable support and size have done it. This has given them the financial strength to stay in the top division.  Failure to produce one major sale since the academy started can only be seen as an abject failure of the whole academy structure.  If the club do start an academy again. Then it has to have the right people from top to bottom, scouting , sport science , coaching all with the aim of getting players good enough for that big sale that will transform the club. 

Could not disagree more. Combined transfer fees and add-ons from the sale of the likes of Arfield, Wallace, Kingsley, Fulton, McGrandles, Gallagher as well as selling Flynn, Higginbothom, Taylor should have been more than sufficient to provide the club with solid financial base for years to come. That it has not is certainly a massive failure, just not of the academy.

We have had nearly 7 figures for Kingsley

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
30 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Not sure if serious

I sincerely hope he isn't.

I read that open mouthed.

f**k off Paton

Deadly serious btw

We need every player playing out their skins to keep us as close to Alloa or next above.

Well, answer me this then. As a support we all appear to be happy with Ray McKinnon yes? If he has confidence in him, why slaughter him every week, what good does that do?

9 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Deadly serious btw

We need every player playing out their skins to keep us as close to Alloa or next above.

Well, answer me this then. As a support we all appear to be happy with Ray McKinnon yes? If he has confidence in him, why slaughter him every week, what good does that do?

Because his performances to date have been woeful? 

This is the same at every club up and down the country mate. Deal wi it.

7 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

emoji23.png Nothing to deal wi mate... Just supporting every player in the navy blue each week

i thought Tuesday was his best game by far, it'll be interesting to see if he continues to improve from now till january.........here's hoping he does, because like you said, he's getting picked every week.

Paton's not very skillful which would be fine if he was able to do what we assumed he could, i.e. make tackles and win the ball. He just doesn't seem to be very good at that either though. To give him the benefit of the doubt maybe many years of making tackles and winning the ball has taken its toll and his legs are fucked?