The Falkirk FC Thread

22 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Was speaking to a community coach yesterday who says that Buaben was very poor at Hearts latterly. That presumably would have been an opinion based on what Hearts coaches had told him as he wouldn't have watched him on a regular basis. 

There's no doubt that Buaben was a very good player at his peak and would be a stand out at this level if he could reproduce that form.

Time will tell.

Bauben or Paton is a no brainer although we havent signed a game changer more of a part of a jigsaw hopefully.  I felt sorry for McGhee last week as he gave his all in the centre mid but the players around him were either not giving their all or dont have the quality required to make an impact. 

If we could get Paul Caddis in, that would improve us a hell of a lot, fitness depending and is far too good to be at this level.

42 minutes ago, MrDust said:

You or I Bauben or Paton is a no brainer although we havent signed a game changer more of a part of a jigsaw hopefully.  I felt sorry for McGhee last week as he gave his all in the centre mid but the players around him were either not giving their all or dont have the quality required to make an impact. 

If we could get Paul Caddis in, that would improve us a hell of a lot, fitness depending and is far too good to be at this level.

50 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

We're a handful of games into the season for fecks sake. Lets see where Ayr and Kerr are come May and then judge whose right or wrong on this. If he and Ayr are still putting out championship winning performances then i will admit i was very much wrong.  Nothing wrong with bringing in quality from the championship but its got to be quality.  I frankly couldn't have given a feck where we sign players from to be really  honest but they should've been good enough to replace the mediocrity we had.  Livi have managed to win the league by having a recruitment system far better than my team or yours and including a load of players that no one wanted or were playing at levels looked down upon like the juniors.  Managers live or die by their recruitment and ours has been awful for seasons wherever we've been gettimng the players from.

I'm far from Kerr's biggest fan but he seems to be performing very well for Ayr at the top of the league, according to their fans. Yes it's early days but at the moment it doesn't sound like he is struggling to perform at a  decent level in this division. It may  have been time for him to move from Falkirk if his form was poor and he was stale  but your claim that he was past it at this level,  which was the point I originally responded to,  doesn't seem to be borne out by his reported performances in most games SO FAR.  

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm far from Kerr's biggest fan but he seems to be performing very well for Ayr at the top of the league, according to their fans. Yes it's early days but at the moment it doesn't sound like he is struggling to perform at a  decent level in this division. It may  have been time for him to move from Falkirk if his form was poor and he was stale  but your claim that he was past it at this level,  which was the point I originally responded to,  doesn't seem to be borne out by his reported performances in most games SO FAR.  

Mark Kerr was an excellent player at his best and, having seen him make his debut for Falkirk (first time), I really thought that he would go on to play for Scotland.

He wasn't good for us latterly, much because he was expected to be the main man in midfield whilst playing in a struggling side. 

I think he's probably enjoying an Indian Summer at Ayr as he's fitting into a midfield that's working well together and has guys around him that can do the running for him. Sometimes players just click in certain teams and situations. I'm sure Paul Paton would look good in a team full of ballers where his only role is to run around making tackles and winning the ball. As someone who can put his foot on the ball then pick out a defence splitting pass though he's rotten.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Mark Kerr was an excellent player at his best and, having seen him make his debut for Falkirk (first time), I really thought that he would go on to play for Scotland.

He wasn't good for us latterly, much because he was expected to be the main man in midfield whilst playing in a struggling side. 

I think he's probably enjoying an Indian Summer at Ayr as he's fitting into a midfield that's working well together and has guys around him that can do the running for him. Sometimes players just click in certain teams and situations. I'm sure Paul Paton would look good in a team full of ballers where his only role is to run around making tackles and winning the ball. As someone who can put his foot on the ball then pick out a defence splitting pass though he's rotten.

I was about to post the exact same thing. Murdoch must bring out the best in him just like Vaulks did. 

29 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Quite often started the season ok but didnt have the fitness to last especially when three games a week became a possibility. 

46 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm far from Kerr's biggest fan but he seems to be performing very well for Ayr at the top of the league, according to their fans. Yes it's early days but at the moment it doesn't sound like he is struggling to perform at a  decent level in this division. It may  have been time for him to move from Falkirk if his form was poor and he was stale  but your claim that he was past it at ithis level,  which was the point I originally responded to,  doesn't seem to be borne out by his reported performances in most games SO FAR.  

I still backed Kerr in his last season with us but it was evident in some games he wasnt quite at the races, more so with midweek games to Saturday, feck he even bossed the midfield when we went down to 9 men. I have noticed Kerr is subbed quite often in games for Ayr, so they are doing whats best to get the best of what he can give. Ayr werent at the races v us in the first half but 2nd half a different story then watching Kerr kill the game with keep ball was what we were needing to do at 2 up instead of throwing the ball into the net

Kerr like Miller were supposed to be concentrating on the coaching side of the game with us and be squad players when required in their last season, the Hartley blame factor to both has perhaps gave them a bit more fire in their bellies which has been to Ayr and Livingstons benefit

Do you think that the plastic pitch has any bearing for your older players who struggled to perform on it every week then go to Ayr playing on grass most of the time and hits a greater height? Houston also said that your pitch is ending its life so it may be having some bearing on your predicament, however I suspect your players you currently have would be hopeless regardless of that they played on.

Do you think that the plastic pitch has any bearing for your older players who struggled to perform on it every week then go to Ayr playing on grass most of the time and hits a greater height? Houston also said that your pitch is ending its life so it may be having some bearing on your predicament, however I suspect your players you currently have would be hopeless regardless of that they played on.

Given that our only league win this season was on a poorer plastic pitch, I’m going to say no...

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Too far

(Good post though, agreed re Kerr. He had a decent career with Dundee Utd/Aberdeen though)

35 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Too far

(Good post though, agreed re Kerr. He had a decent career with Dundee Utd/Aberdeen though)

Fair point.

I should have replaced the word 'would' with 'might' and taken out 'and winning the ball' completely.

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

No.

Again just because our recruitment has been bloody awful under hartley doesnt mean we should be crying over players who we've emptied. Very few of them were good enough for where we wanted to go . Hopefully under mckinnon we will now see a better quality of player coming in.

Edited by Shodwall cat

No.
Again just because our recruitment has been bloody awful under hartley doesnt mean we should be crying over players who we've emptied. Very few of them were good enough for where we wanted to go . Hopefully under mckinnon we will now see a better quality of player coming in.
Again..... And again.... And again....

Why is it so many folk cant see that failure to recruit better doesnt mean that the guys we had were somehow good enough and shouldnt have been punted. The two things are 100% not related in any way.

It would only be related in any way if the stated aim of the club at the start of this was to avoid relegation. Then you can point and say "you had the guys for that"

If the stated aim is promotion, then the guys we had went from play off final, to play off semi final, to utter shambles and IMO betrayal of Peter Houston. They 2 very clear chances to acheive the aims of the club and failed. Its really that simple.

3 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Slightly off topic: I've backed Embra City tonight so Sheps, if you're reading this, get the fucking job done.

Aye, he's certainly cracking them in. Already scored 2 of the 18 goals EC have scored in the league!

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Again..... And again.... And again....

Why is it so many folk cant see that failure to recruit better doesnt mean that the guys we had were somehow good enough and shouldnt have been punted. The two things are 100% not related in any way.

It would only be related in any way if the stated aim of the club at the start of this was to avoid relegation. Then you can point and say "you had the guys for that"

If the stated aim is promotion, then the guys we had went from play off final, to play off semi final, to utter shambles and IMO betrayal of Peter Houston. They 2 very clear chances to acheive the aims of the club and failed. Its really that simple.

I'm not saying the likes of Kerr and Lee Miller should have been kept on,  Falkirk fans will have a better opinion of that than me,   but the point I was responding to was that because Kerr was poor at the end of his last spell with you it doesn't necessarily mean he's past it as Shodwall post claimed.  If he can hold down a place with the team currently leading the pack,  and getting good marks from Ayr fans,  he must still gave some life in him yet.  FWIW he was rank against Queens at Palmerston and was hooked at half-time,   but the whole Ayr showing that day was poor,  but going by reports and results since then  it seems to have given them a kick up the arse to push harder to stay up at the top.  Long way to go but at present Kerr send to be playing well. 

Everything that was done in the Hartley era (beyond avoiding relegation) was a restructuring of the football side of the business. That seems to have been entrusted to Hartley and “super Mitch”. Campbell (I think) saw himself as something of a mover and shaker here. Interestingly, his bluff and bluster proclamation stated that the “Mitch” role was ”crucial”. 

The players who departed were supposed to be replaced by better players. As we all know, there’s no argument on that front now....the replacements are several levels below the players who have departed. That doesn’t mean it was wrong for them to go (lots of love for Kerr, BSLM in particular).

As Bairnardo has explained, if the aim was just to hang around this league, then those guys would have been fine, but that wasn’t the stated aim. The club instead took 17 spins of the roulette wheel, stuck everything on red each time, and it came up black on something like 14 occasions.

Edited by Duncan Freemason