The Falkirk FC Thread

Team line up bingo. Jackpot must be won this week surely injuries aside, I will go first

Fasan
Muirhead
Harrison
Dallison
Brough

Irving
Paton
McKee

Lewis
Rudden
Petra

I win [emoji6]
Can't see it being anything other than this. I'd love to see McGhee in for Paton but after McKinnon's interview that sounds doubtful

Team line up bingo. Jackpot must be won this week surely injuries aside, I will go first

Fasan
Muirhead
Harrison
Dallison
Brough

Irving
Paton
McKee

Lewis
Rudden
Petra

I win [emoji6]

Think it will be too although would like to see McGhee & Buaben in ASAP.

1 hour ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

McKinnon just seems like a breath of fresh air compared to Hartley. 

As an outsider it seems pretty similar no?

Comes in, slightly improves results, releases dross, gets praised. In February you'll be struggling, his January signings will be failing, you'll sack him, hire a new manager who comes in and releases a raft of players, and you'll all start talking about how great it is to have a manager willing to get rid of deadwood.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Comes in, slightly improves results, releases dross, gets praised. In February you'll be struggling, his January signings will be failing, you'll sack him, hire a new manager who comes in and releases a raft of players, and you'll all start talking about how great it is to have a manager willing to get rid of deadwood.

You only need to see the difference in the players mood in training etc to see the difference between McKinnon and Hartley.

Hartley was hated by the players.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hartley did a lot better last season than "slightly improve results" 

2 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

There is an exhibition at Callendar House just now called' Falkirk FC a Fans View' it's worth a look. Some good bits of nostalgia in there.  Crunchies boots from the 97 final are on display, Yogis shirt from the B&Q cup final copies of the FU fanzine, old programmes and pictures of Brockville through the ages  . What I found interesting was there was a fanzine in the early 90's  that was produced for fans that lived out with Falkirk, I'd never heard of it.

I think you are talking about FOOTSIE Mouth mate ? Written by a Falkirk fan from Edinburgh for as you say from fans outwith the town.

14 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Total blast from the past.

2E75FD54-8DD2-4DC7-8D65-1E7691A5669F.gif.6e42a7142ea048a30f44e854ee715be0.gif

It's sad that forums have replaced fanzines. The FU was a brilliant fanzine genuinely funny and fans seemed to have a better sense of humour about football back then.  I always enjoyed the Ex Bairns watch which was just really an excuse to lay into Ken Eadie and Sammy Conn.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Hartley did a lot better last season than "slightly improve results" 

I was on about MacKinnon, but there you go. 

As I say, it's odd to see your fans proclaiming him for being proactive and brave when he's just following the exact same route your last manager did.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was on about MacKinnon, but there you go. 

As I say, it's odd to see your fans proclaiming him for being proactive and brave when he's just following the exact same route your last manager did.

One of the mistakes Hartley (allegedly) made last season was to tell players they weren't being kept on but continued to play them. Our results between him joining and the window weren't particularly good and it was rumoured there was a lot of bad blood in the dressing room. McKinnon isn't allowing players to stay who aren't in his plans by the looks of it. 

14 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

One of the mistakes Hartley (allegedly) made last season was to tell players they weren't being kept on but continued to play them. Our results between him joining and the window weren't particularly good and it was rumoured there was a lot of bad blood in the dressing room. McKinnon isn't allowing players to stay who aren't in his plans by the looks of it. 

In other words he isn't playing them then getting them and telling them they are moving on , better management skills already ..lol

It's not impossible that things go the same way under McKinnon but I don't think it's some mega repeating pattern yet.

Basically the Hartley project was a disaster and needed to be rectified. Hartley came in and wasnt punting absolute dross, just mid level championship players and people he didn't fancy. Houstons team wasnt a riot or anything, just lacking quality and things seemed to have went stale. Most of us bought into the clear out with the promise of added quality from a market we haven't used too much.

However, the squad Hartley brought in this summer was an absolute state and will likely require major surgery over the next few windows. I'd be completely astonished if we managed to bring in such a poor squad again.

28 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

It's not impossible that things go the same way under McKinnon but I don't think it's some mega repeating pattern yet.

There's two key differences between Hartley & McKinnon.

One is the personality aspect. Most folk assume McKinnon is better to deal with and I'm certainly not going to disagree with any of them.

The second is recruitment. Hartley did well last season and then totally screwed it up in the summer. While we've yet to see how McKinnon gets on in that area, at least he's making his own decisions rather than allowing a third party do much of it for him.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn