The Falkirk FC Thread

36 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

:o How very dare you!!

(1) Donaldson, (never seen Wigham play) (2) S Kennedy, (3) McLaughlin, (4) Markie, (5) Miller, (6) Gibson, (7) McAllister, (8) Latapy, (9) El Alagui, (10) Stainrod, (11) Shirra.

Loved Farid's attitude and rapport with the fans and, of course, Cunningham as manager.

It’s Whigham.....not important to us, but important to his nearest and dearest.

Can’t recall their being a better 6 than George Gibson ever. Impossible because of eras, but Alex Parker and definitely John White would be worthy of a shout, and for those of us of a certain age, I have never ever seen a better crosser of a ball on the run than Alex Scott....and that includes Mr Beckham.

39 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

(1) Donaldson, (never seen Wigham play) (2) S Kennedy, (3) McLaughlin, (4) Markie, (5) Miller, (6) Gibson, (7) McAllister, (8) Latapy, (9) El Alagui, (10) Stainrod, (11) Shirra.

Loved Farid's attitude and rapport with the fans and, of course, Cunningham as manager.

40 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Good team pick. 

Stuart Kennedy.....played with him when we were 14 or 15 years old.......get into bother in midfield, just knock the ball into space on the wing, and he was like an express train going past you to get onto it. Most number 7s just backed off and left him to it. Fiercely competitive, and hard as nails too. Proper player. In old positional language, he was a right back, a right side half back, and a right winger all rolled into one. Even as a young teenager, he owned his side of the pitch.

Those of us lucky enough to share the field with current or future pros will know what it’s like. It’s like they come from a different footballing planet.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

21 minutes ago, Kennedys_Moustache said:

I don't think they are even playing for the reserves regularly. Still, have to trust the manager that he knows what he's doing. Hard after Hartley, but fair enough. 

I had a look at the last five reserve games. Greenwood has played in all of them. Robson's played in three, missing Dundee Utd because he had a bug and Ross County because he started for the first team on the Saturday before.

13 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Can’t recall their being a better 6 than George Gibson ever. Impossible because of eras, but Alex Parker and definitely John White would be worthy of a shout, and for those of us of a certain age, I have never ever seen a better crosser of a ball on the run than Alex Scott....and that includes Mr Beckham.

Never saw Parker or White but if I had from the snippets on the web and articles written, they would most likely be a pick. But you have got to start somewhere so based the question on players I had seen.  No rights or wrongs but an interesting topic to discuss. Alex Scott was something else he had lost his pace when he joined us but could he cross a ball, wonderful player to watch.

Edited by HopeStreetWalker

1 hour ago, Kennedys_Moustache said:

I didn't say they were, I acknowledged we'd had class ones. Recently though, it's been skewed more towards mince. The best two we've had have been loans. Schmeichel and Krul, and neither of them have been that recent. 

Mcgovern was better for us than both of them. 

30 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Never saw Parker or White but if I had from the snippets on the web and articles written, they would most likely be a pick. But you have got to start somewhere so based the question on players I had seen.  No rights or wrongs but an interesting topic to discuss. Alex Scott was something else he had lost his pace when he joined us but could he cross a ball, wonderful player to watch.

We seem to have started following the club around the same time. My first game was in 62, Willie Whigham in goal and Alex Duchart up front.

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Not really shocking, same happened when Hartley came in last year with Balatoni, looked good but Hartley preferred others.

Hartley preferred a clear out.... Balatoni on a 6 month deal was a 'free' space for him to fill.

I had a look at the last five reserve games. Greenwood has played in all of them. Robson's played in three, missing Dundee Utd because he had a bug and Ross County because he started for the first team on the Saturday before.
What has Toe and Turners involvement been?

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I'm sure that Parker & White would be included in any team of those old enough to have seen them a few times.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

What has Toe and Turners involvement been?

Both have played in each of the last five.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Stuart Kennedy.....played with him when we were 14 or 15 years old.......get into bother in midfield, just knock the ball into space on the wing, and he was like an express train going past you to get onto it. Most number 7s just backed off and left him to it. Fiercely competitive, and hard as nails too. Proper player. In old positional language, he was a right back, a right side half back, and a right winger all rolled into one. Even as a young teenager, he owned his side of the pitch.

Those of us lucky enough to share the field with current or future pros will know what it’s like. It’s like they come from a different footballing planet.

This is true. Even the "worst" player is relatively superb. See Nick Hornby's analysis of Gus Caesar for further info.

I played in the juvenile leagues in Inverness up until age 17 or so. The best player throughout my years there, and I mean best by an absolute street was a forward called Karl McKay. He seemed destined for greatness but never made it further than a few sub appearances in the Highland League for Caledonian. Crazy.

11 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He seemed destined for greatness but never made it further than a few sub appearances in the Highland League for Caledonian. Crazy.

Funny how that works. For me at Larbert High, it was David and I think his brother was Brian McWilliams, and an older guy called Jimmy Millar. Jimmy had so much talent, it was unreal. Somewhere between Denis Law and Jim Baxter. Never got further than amateur because he liked the pub and bookie too much. Incredible player.

The McWilliams brothers were both sensational. I think one went to Celtic, and the other to Hibs, but no idea why they didn’t make the grade. I guess it takes more than just talent.

17 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Funny how that works. For me at Larbert High, it was David and I think his brother was Brian McWilliams, and an older guy called Jimmy Millar. Jimmy had so much talent, it was unreal. Somewhere between Denis Law and Jim Baxter. Never got further than amateur because he liked the pub and bookie too much. Incredible player.

The McWilliams brothers were both sensational. I think one went to Celtic, and the other to Hibs, but no idea why they didn’t make the grade. I guess it takes more than just talent.

There's been many a talented teenager ruined by the pub over the years. Even worse today, given the relatively high wages even fairly average teams pay out to players these days. 

34 minutes ago, Kennedys_Moustache said:

There's been many a talented teenager ruined by the pub over the years. Even worse today, given the relatively high wages even fairly average teams pay out to players these days. 

Facebook for that signature m8

I'm surprised to see greenwood frozen out completely.  The only thing i can think is that he doesn't fit the current system we are playing very well being he likes to sit very wide.  If we get ourselves sorted out in the middle of the park I'd like to see him come in when we play with width and balls into the box.

Rumours is he ain’t the hardest worker

Going in another direction. Best Falkirk XI from players seen. Here is mine Whigham , S Kennedy , Mclaughlin . Markie , Miller , Gibson . McAllister , Stainrod , M Johnson , Shirra , Stokes. I acknowledge there are better individual players than Markie Miller & Gibson but as a unit I have never seen a better 4,5,6 play together. Manager of course Mr W Cunningham.

I am from the era of early 70’s onwards but to not have Latapy in there and have Jim Shirra is bizarre