The Falkirk FC Thread

38 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Your evidence for this is what exactly?

You might like to brush up on your use of pronouns and put down the lighter fuel before you draft a reply.

I'd guess he spoke to someone at Falkirk who knows the details of McKinnon's former contract with Morton. Not that hard to do, given that some of our board members have a reputation for talking freely about things they maybe shouldn't.

That's not evidence of course. It's only knowledge, which can't be substantiated on an internet forum.

History will ultimately provide your evidence. If there is a statement on the Morton website along the lines of "we thank Falkirk for the 100K they gave us for Ray McKinnon" then you'll have been proven right.

Personally, I think your grandchildren will be drawing their old age pensions before such a statement appears.

How long will you wait before accepting that the absence of such a statement proves you wrong? A month? Three months? A year?

17 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'd guess he spoke to someone at Falkirk who knows the details of McKinnon's former contract with Morton. Not that hard to do, given that some of our board members have a reputation for talking freely about things they maybe shouldn't.

That's not evidence of course. It's only knowledge, which can't be substantiated on an internet forum.

History will ultimately provide your evidence. If there is a statement on the Morton website along the lines of "we thank Falkirk for the 100K they gave us for Ray McKinnon" then you'll have been proven right.

Personally, I think your grandchildren will be drawing their old age pensions before such a statement appears.

How long will you wait before accepting that the absence of such a statement proves you wrong? A month? Three months? A year?

Unless he's already a centenarian himself I think there's a fair chance that this may not happen!

It's all very well people saying we had x number of superstars in the under 15s or under 13s or whatever but we've been told similar things for years and very few academy players have actually progressed to our first team over the last few years and any that have have hardly been superstars.

Meanwhile, we've been stuck in this league with an academy for 10 years. I also wouldn't be surprised if many of these 'experts' saying how wonderful the players we let go were are the same people still telling us O'Hara is the best thing since sliced bread.

We also can't just wait 5+ years for these 'superstars' to come through. In that respect, the club made the right decision IMO to change the academy model that simply hadn't worked in terms of getting us promoted(which is what most fans care about).

Edited by EdiBairn

49 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I doubt a club the size of Rangers sign players "to fill out squads". There's nothing to say he'll play for Scotland or anything but to suggest they struggle for numbers is baffling.

Of course they do. Are you suggesting they run with an academy of 14 players and drop reserve players down to make up the numbers? 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

No whataboutery at all. I saw him play on a number of occasions and the boys a fantastic talent which is why a number of clubs were chasing him when we decided to just let him go.  But as I said never mind we've got Tom Owen Evans and Dan Turner so that makes up for it anyhow.

Good for you. Not say g it was a great decision. But it's done now. Was poo ting out that the hooha over him playing a reserve game has been blown way out of proportion. Christ, even when we had a good academy squad, half the players who played reserve football were average at best. 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think the bod have fucked us far more than we've fucked them.

Yeah. Again, was my point. Look at our current mess. We should be chasing them over the state of the first team, not distracting ourselves over what an academy player may or may not achieve. 

7 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

It's all very well people saying we had x number of superstars in the under 15s or under 13s or whatever but we've been told similar things for years and very few academy players have actually progressed to our first team over the last few years and any that have have hardly been superstars.

Meanwhile, we've been stuck in this league with an academy for 10 years. I also wouldn't be surprised if many of these 'experts' saying how wonderful the players we let go were are the same people still telling us O'Hara is the best thing since sliced bread.

We also can't just wait 5+ years for these 'superstars' to come through. In that respect, the club made the right decision IMO to change the academy model that simply hadn't worked in terms of getting us promoted(which is what most fans care about).

Can you not just let it go and enjoy your time at Edinburgh City Sheps, thought we had done this to death till the weekends game we have acknowledged the fact that yes the scouting system for the new batch was sh*t and current crop barring a couple are dire.  was it or was it not a bad decision to close the academy, maybe yes, maybe no but we arent the ones paying for it year in year out and it was a BoD call.

Guest Back Post Misses
Was does that prove? How many academy players do clubs the size of Rangers have? They need a set number of players to fill out squads, training sessions and the like. The fact he is an academy player means they feel he might have promise. 

Can't believe after everyone saying that Sammut is a jersey filler at Chelsea, we've now gone the other way and are saying this guy is great because he's got a jersey at the Rangers academy and has played a reserve game. 

If he makes a lot of appearances, and gets on the bench for a league game or goes out on loan, u til then there's literally nothing to see other than a club signing a young player to fill a roster spot in a youth team. Has it occurred to anyone that he was likely filling a jersey due to injury or similar, or are we just off on another f**k the board rampage.?

It proves one thing that you will twist things to suit your argument. People can’t bitch about no players coming through than dizzy lads who were in our academy but have moved to bigger clubs. In the case of the lad Maxwell at least three scouts and coaches in the academy have told me independently that he was better than Dunne. As quick but technically better. We have to remember our first team was pretty much outplayed by Rangers U21 side a few weeks ago. That team was full of Rangers kids of 17 and 18. Many may not make the top standard at Rangers but the leagues are full of kids who have come through the academies of Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and the likes.

Shutting the Academy was wrong for the long term future of our club IMO.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It proves one thing that you will twist things to suit your argument. People can’t bitch about no players coming through than dizzy lads who were in our academy but have moved to bigger clubs. In the case of the lad Maxwell at least three scouts and coaches in the academy have told me independently that he was better than Dunne. As quick but technically better. We have to remember our first team was pretty much outplayed by Rangers U21 side a few weeks ago. That team was full of Rangers kids of 17 and 18. Many may not make the top standard at Rangers but the leagues are full of kids who have come through the academies of Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and the likes.

The problem Falkirk and all other teams with academy's outwith the elite are/were going to have is that the elite academies are going to hoover up all the best players, even more so than before. They are going to be sell it that only by playing in the top tier are you going to develop to be the best player you can be. So, Falkirk and all the other non-elite clubs are going to struggle to recruit players and if by chance they do, Celtic, rangers, etc will come along and take them and pay minimum compensation. It'll barely be worth running an academy for the return. Alternatively, clubs like Falkirk can wait on the drop-outs from the elite academies at 18/19/20 and sign them then and give them the platform to play first team football and develop from there. Take Zak Rudden, Andy Irving. They might not make it in the first team at Rangers and Hearts, but they might at Falkirk if they get released. That's where Falkirk and the rest have to look. And, it doesn't cost the running of an academy.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I can't do this

Silly me, keep forgetting that every academy in the land is only filled with players of the highest caliber. Nobody gets released and there's never any wastage or players hanging around riding out contracts. We've never moved players around to fill a jersey, and neither has anyone else. 

Thanks for clearing that up. 

43 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

That's is a priceless statement from you. Really is. 

Bizarre that youth coaches responsible for coaching a player would feel that he was a great player. Really is. Wouldn't at all be putting the boot into the club that binned them. 

3 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

On the contrary … looking forward to October 20th .

Ehhh.... Abnormally excited for a Falkirk game over a month away, where no doubt the Snake factor will swell your crowd possibly into the thousand, and where the aforementioned seethe will underpin it all. 

Aye nae bor m8. Not bothered one bit. 

Have you considered what you will do if we turn you over? If your wee broken heart doesnt get the closure it needs? 

Just now, DeeBairn said:

Silly me, keep forgetting that every academy in the land is only filled with players of the highest caliber. Nobody gets released and there's never any wastage or players hanging around riding out contracts.

Nobody is saying this anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ehhh.... Abnormally excited for a Falkirk game over a month away, where no doubt the Snake factor will swell your crowd possibly into the thousand, and where the aforementioned seethe will underpin it all. 

Aye nae bor m8. Not bothered one bit. 

Have you considered what you will do if we turn you over? If your wee broken heart doesnt get the closure it needs? 

There's nothing else happening in their part of the world. It's really that simple. 

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Nobody is saying this anywhere.

It's been implied, if not outright stated in regards to Sammut being at Chelsea. He's not going to play in the first team, so he's surely just filling a jersey, yes? 

And the boy that's gone to Rangers. Until such time as he's in someone's first team, we don't know what he's doing. He may or may not have a great future. I said that he may well have been in the reserve team to fill a jersey because of injuries, instead of merit. I got shot down for it, but I've yet to see anyone prove the contrary.