The Falkirk FC Thread

Quite right Shodwall.
After all, if BPM is correct then the BOD wasted time trying to recruit two other managers before finally getting their third choice on deadline day.
They should have known those guys would knock us back and not bothered talking to them. They should have had the foresight - and the hindsight that you have - to have gone straight to McKinnnon first. Then he'd have had a couple of extra days to get in a right back and we could have signed Ralston after all.
Oh, apart from the fact that he didn't want to come. Which - to go back to my original point - had nothing to do with the BOD.  

He didn't want to come because we're shite ! The other two managers (if that's true) almost certainly also rejected as we don't look like a good career move at the moment !WHY - the mismanagement by he committee

3 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Have to agree regarding McGhee. I think he is an average player. People on here absolutely cream it over him and he seems to dodge any of the blame that other players get in bucket loads.
The guy seems like a shite bag who can’t tackle, win headers, his passing is garbage, he certainly can’t cross a ball or even run with the ball.

Best of a very bad bunch is about all I can say about McGhee!

It's all relative. I don't think he's great, but he's very much better than the alternative.

4 hours ago, Stuperman01 said:

But we never had the players long enough to have a competitive team from the academy. Anyway it's done now and people need to move on. 

I wouldn't say it's done. I'd like to see us reinstate the academy in the future. The very near future to be honest.

Guest Back Post Misses
I don't disagree with you but tell me who from the academy, as it was,  would have been good enough to make the step up and help us gain promotion had we had kept it going?

The Academy can’t be judged on a fallow couple of years as well as bumper years. There will always be ups and downs. The worrying fact for all should be the net gain in finance it has brought in. Over £2m surplus and 500k last season.

The disappointment for me is the fact so many at a younger age have gone to top clubs. Anyone connected to the academy would have told you that we have some very promising players in there. In 3/4 years time it will be interesting to see how many start to get through the system.

PS A lad called James Maxwell, who many connected with the Academy rated better than Dunne, made his debut for Sevco reserves today. Maybe there were players in the academy we just couldn’t be bother developing them or give them a chance.

32 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

It's all relative. I don't think he's great, but he's very much better than the alternative.

I wouldn't say it's done. I'd like to see us reinstate the academy in the future. The very near future to be honest.

If FFC bring back an academy they will have to get the scouting, coaching and preparation for the first team fit for purpose. While teams with a similar fan base than Falkirk have got in right and brought in millions plus sell on appearance clauses therfore financing survival in the top league. Kilmarnock , Motherwell , Hamilton , St Johnstone being good examples. Those we have brought though have been undersold.  Also the club have missed local talent for generations and that is a disgrace. The club are looked on as an easy touch and it goes back decades.  An academy would have to be based on a 5 - 10 year payback with a minimum of 3 -4 players coming through per season or heads would roll at the academy and the board that hired them. That would focus a few minds.

38 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If FFC bring back an academy they will have to get the scouting, coaching and preparation for the first team fit for purpose. While teams with a similar fan base than Falkirk have got in right and brought in millions plus sell on appearance clauses therfore financing survival in the top league. Kilmarnock , Motherwell , Hamilton , St Johnstone being good examples. Those we have brought though have been undersold.  Also the club have missed local talent for generations and that is a disgrace. The club are looked on as an easy touch and it goes back decades.  An academy would have to be based on a 5 - 10 year payback with a minimum of 3 -4 players coming through per season or heads would roll at the academy and the board that hired them. That would focus a few minds.

They can rule out one name for the scouting "MITCH".....lol :lol:

5 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Duffie gave us a number of years good service though and if not for injury would still have made us money. Arfield was again the bod's doing. If we'd stayed in the top flight he would have played for us a bit longer. He quite rightly didnt want to play in the championship and we needed the cash badly due to the bod's mismanagement and george craigs ability to lose VAT demands down the back of his sideboard.

Its an utter travesty that for ten years plus we had thee most successful academy in Scottish football bringing through numerous talented players in quite a short space of time and yet here we are now with no academy, no money ,no talent  and bottom of the scottish championship.  The height of mismanagement over this period is quite astounding and has lost what was a fantastic opportunity to have this club established in the top echelons of scottish football. 

Agree re Duffie. Still doesn't change the point that he should have been sold when he was at the top. Injuries didn't help, but we still kept him around way past the point of him being any use. Several years of wasted wages. The Arfield one is kinda with the benefit of hindsight I suppose. We didn't sell him as we we wanted to stay up. If we had sold him, I'm sure we would have got st least another couple hundred grand as a premiership player. Hard one to judge at the time. He didn't want to stay if the championship. Who's to say if he'd pulled out the stops and kept us up he'd have wanted to stay instead of moving to a far bigger club. I certainly wouldn't want to be running the contract department of a football club. Seems you'll get it in the neck either way. 

Okay were in trouble and haven't got the players we all thought we were getting during the close season, but we're all Falkirk supporters and that means try supporting the team instead of the constant slagging and confidence sapping comments were getting from some people on here. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm still chuckling at Falkirk allegedly paying someone 2,000 Pounds Sterling a week.  Most clubs in the Preeeeemiership don't even pay that.

Might be hard to believe but Burton O'Brien was on over £2k per week (allegedly) 

Aye a decade ago in the league above where you are now.  Clubs don't spunk cash anymore, apart from Rangers.  There's no way another club outside of County would give someone 2k a week these days in the 2nd tier.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm still chuckling at Falkirk allegedly paying someone 2,000 Pounds Sterling a week.  Most clubs in the Preeeeemiership don't even pay that.

The claim about Loy being paid somewhere close to that  last season was nonsense.

It's possible that we did agree contracts of a similar amount or higher during our last couple of years in the Premiership,  but that's now almost a decade ago.

16 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Agree re Duffie. Still doesn't change the point that he should have been sold when he was at the top. Injuries didn't help, but we still kept him around way past the point of him being any use. Several years of wasted wages. The Arfield one is kinda with the benefit of hindsight I suppose. We didn't sell him as we we wanted to stay up. If we had sold him, I'm sure we would have got st least another couple hundred grand as a premiership player. Hard one to judge at the time. He didn't want to stay if the championship. Who's to say if he'd pulled out the stops and kept us up he'd have wanted to stay instead of moving to a far bigger club. I certainly wouldn't want to be running the contract department of a football club. Seems you'll get it in the neck either way. 

I dont really think Duffie was a sellable asset other than a token fee perhaps to another Scottish side, I was a Duffie fan but just dont see him being the Arfield, Wallace, Kingsley types who wouldve earned us serious coin. If his fitness had kept up, he wouldve probably stayed with us then either moved like Alston did or went as he has now in down the way

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye a decade ago in the league above where you are now.  Clubs don't spunk cash anymore, apart from Rangers.  There's no way another club outside of County would give someone 2k a week these days in the 2nd tier.

Our bad management(no relegation wage clause) seen us landed with 2yrs of Scobbie on something in that 2k mark, Bob rumoured to have been nearer the 3k mark and Bullen albeit the latter more or less stepped into a coaching role which I am only guessing mightve seen him on more money than the manager.

The bubble has for sure burst at many clubs in big wages

Guest Back Post Misses
Might be hard to believe but Burton O'Brien was on over £2k per week (allegedly) 

And we were paying stupid money to Olejnik, Bullen, McNamara, McCann, Scobbie, Lovell and McLean

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dundee United apparently paying Aird and Clark well over that amount. Clark rumoured to be on nearly double that figure. I appreciate this is all hearsay. 

Guest Back Post Misses
Dundee United apparently paying Aird and Clark well over that amount. Clark rumoured to be on nearly double that figure. I appreciate this is all hearsay. 

Sounds like utter shite not hearsay