The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

I don't disagree with you but tell me who from the academy, as it was,  would have been good enough to make the step up and help us gain promotion had we had kept it going?

I don't know enough about costs.so this could be baws.

But I'd say using the academy to provide some cheap fodder for the first team is the right model. Add to that genuine quality. 3 or 4 players tops. Along with some older journeymen.

I have no idea what our budget is but in percentage terms spend 40% on 3/4 players. 40% on 8 more jobbers and 20% on the academy lads who will be on cheap as chips deals.

It's risky. As injuries to your stars f**k your season. But it's also got a chance to get you up. If you don't have a scout called Mitch 

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I can tell you now I'd much rather have had someone like Johnny Mitchell available for selection just now than some of the complete numpties we have currently. We've all been over this before there were a number of decent players coming through . The likes of James Maxwell was a  top prospect who  have now been replaced by the superb Tom Owen Evans and Dan Turner.  Thats a fantastic move forward.

I just don't buy the acadamey argument it hasn't got us promoted for 10 years and we sold players before we ever had a chance to make a squad out of them. The players I knew off that were 'decent' are still with us with the exception of two. 

Just now, Stuperman01 said:

I just don't buy the acadamey argument it hasn't got us promoted for 10 years and we sold players before we ever had a chance to make a squad out of them. The players I knew off that were 'decent' are still with us with the exception of two. 

You could argue it didn't get us up because when we had a good model of team we were competing with Hibs Hearts and Rangers..

The team we had a few years ago with academy graduates would be very competitive in this current league.

3 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I don't know enough about costs.so this could be baws.

But I'd say using the academy to provide some cheap fodder for the first team is the right model. Add to that genuine quality. 3 or 4 players tops. Along with some older journeymen.

I have no idea what our budget is but in percentage terms spend 40% on 3/4 players. 40% on 8 more jobbers and 20% on the academy lads who will be on cheap as chips deals.

It's risky. As injuries to your stars f**k your season. But it's also got a chance to get you up. If you don't have a scout called Mitch 

That would be an expensive way to provide fodder though. By the time you include scouts and coaches, be as well picking up youths that have been freed and training them in the reserves. Not sure what the difference would be cost wise though. 

8 minutes ago, Stuperman01 said:

We didn't not go up because of the academy though. It was the way we were being run from the top that means we're still down here.  St Mirren have an academy thats excellent and they won promotion nae bother without having to scrap it.  The choice of manager and god awful recruitment has kept us down.  That and a terrible financial position caused by the bod which meant we had to sell a lot of our top academy players before they could bring success to us on the pitch.   With the right manager and a proper recruitment set up we could've been out this league long ago and seeing the benefits of having a thriving academy running along side that . Instead we're stuck at the bottom of the league with a squad full of dross and feck all academy to bail us out.  The fact that the people making these decisions are still in post is an utter disgrace.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Depends on how King Snake does. If he starts getting some wins we'll probably pipe down a bit. If he drags ye down to the seaside leagues and has to return to taxi driving we'll be swarming all over this thread.
You know how P&B works.

Goan give your self an overdose like the rest of your towns inhabitants.

He probably didn't want to come because we are an utter shambles at the moment.  We've played 5 lost 5 and are immersed in a relegation fight. Who would want to join us? The reason we are in this mess is due to decisions made by the board of directors.  Closing our academy and setting about a plan to allow a clown of a scout to sign dumplings from down south that wouldnt get a game with dukla pumpherston never mind a team supposedly looking for promotion to the premiership.  This resulted in them having to fire our manager after only 3 games of the season  having allowed the idiot to spend the majority of our budget on complete dross and giving the replacement feck all time to do anything to fix these issues. Aye its got feck all to do with the bod.

The committee are undoubtably guilty

15 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Players are much more important imo. He was able to bring in Anton Ferdinand which looks vital. I thought had a great game. Tactics and formation are important obviously, but only if you have a base level of talent to mould. St Mirren seem to. We clearly don't.

He would have had much more trouble playing the way they did if he'd had a squad almost entirely full of Stubbs signings. St Mirren were really lucky he didn't do more damage than he did. 

Players are obviously more important but a manager can get a tune out of a few shit players in a starting 11 with formations and tactics.

I am not suggesting it will happen with us but the first 45mins on Saturday gave us hope it could and the less said about the 2nd half the better.

We are staring at a black hole at the moment but we are not in it as of yet for me with 5 league games gone, if we are bottom and a dozen or so points behind 9th in late December, we will have a foot in that black hole with the recruitment in January having to be spot on or we will be in that black hole for sure. 

We only had two league wins till January last season in the league but we obviously dont have the luxury of a Brechin this season or even so far a Dumbarton (Unless Dunfermline are playing that part) So the margins are a lot closer this season.

Id be inclined to suggest the doom and gloom if Hartley was still in charge but for now Ray obviously should have time to install his methods to the squad and hopefully add before January, if not then hopefully we have some sort of first half v Ayr tune for 90 mins in us.

28 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

You could argue it didn't get us up because when we had a good model of team we were competing with Hibs Hearts and Rangers..

The team we had a few years ago with academy graduates would be very competitive in this current league.

But we never had the players long enough to have a competitive team from the academy. Anyway it's done now and people need to move on. 

1 minute ago, Stuperman01 said:

But we never had the players long enough to have a competitive team from the academy. Anyway it's done now and people need to move on. 

Because of the financial mess we were in. If we'd had stability financially we would've been able to keep these players longer and get more money for them when they left. Instead we were selling them to the first club that flashed a decent amount of cash.  The academy was being run brilliantly whilst the club wasnt . That academy wasn't to blame though.  At least we had players that were worth cash then. We now have a load of dross worth feck all.

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Because of the financial mess we were in. If we'd had stability financially we would've been able to keep these players longer and get more money for them when they left. Instead we were selling them to the first club that flashed a decent amount of cash.  The academy was being run brilliantly whilst the club wasnt . That academy wasn't to blame though.  At least we had players that were worth cash then. We now have a load of dross worth feck all.

Not totally true. We either sold players early for a reasonable amount, of held onto them for too long a g got pennies or nothing. 

17 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Not totally true. We either sold players early for a reasonable amount, of held onto them for too long a g got pennies or nothing. 

I can only think of Sibbald as a player who we held on to and got pennies for.  In his case we at least got a good few years of performances from him which I don't mind so much.

Edited by Shodwall cat

5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I can only think of Sibbald as a player who we held on to and got pennies for.  In his case we at least got a good few years of performances from him which I don't mind so much.

Duffie? Held onto him way past the point he should have been sold. By a matter of years. Not saying we would have got a fortune, but he could have been sold for a couple hundred grand. We held into Arfield a season too long as well, though that might just be me, and money isn't always the best way to measure it. 

11 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Duffie? Held onto him way past the point he should have been sold. By a matter of years. Not saying we would have got a fortune, but he could have been sold for a couple hundred grand. We held into Arfield a season too long as well, though that might just be me, and money isn't always the best way to measure it. 

Duffie gave us a number of years good service though and if not for injury would still have made us money. Arfield was again the bod's doing. If we'd stayed in the top flight he would have played for us a bit longer. He quite rightly didnt want to play in the championship and we needed the cash badly due to the bod's mismanagement and george craigs ability to lose VAT demands down the back of his sideboard.

Its an utter travesty that for ten years plus we had thee most successful academy in Scottish football bringing through numerous talented players in quite a short space of time and yet here we are now with no academy, no money ,no talent  and bottom of the scottish championship.  The height of mismanagement over this period is quite astounding and has lost what was a fantastic opportunity to have this club established in the top echelons of scottish football. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

Dallison, Brough, McKee, Sammut, Irving, TOE, Turner, Lewis, Fasan and, to a certain extent, even McGhee all strike me as being pea hearts. Particularly disappointing in Irving's case as he has all the talent in the world but looks like he doesn't want to be here. I really got the impression that he wanted off before he was substituted on Saturday.

Have to agree regarding McGhee. I think he is an average player. People on here absolutely cream it over him and he seems to dodge any of the blame that other players get in bucket loads.
The guy seems like a shite bag who can’t tackle, win headers, his passing is garbage, he certainly can’t cross a ball or even run with the ball.

Best of a very bad bunch is about all I can say about McGhee!

3 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Have to agree regarding McGhee. I think he is an average player. People on here absolutely cream it over him and he seems to dodge any of the blame that other players get in bucket loads.
The guy seems like a shite bag who can’t tackle, win headers, his passing is garbage, he certainly can’t cross a ball or even run with the ball.

Best of a very bad bunch is about all I can say about McGhee!

To me he's gone backwards since he arrived. Mind you thats hardly a surprise considering the crap he has to play with and the number of different positions he's had to fill. Give him a steady job in a decent team and I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him.

6 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

I just read an article with Levein slating Dundee Utd for just about ruining Souttar by playing him in a number of different positions. Same can probably be said for McGhee just now. 

He'll more than likely be away at the end of the season and will become a mainstay at another club.  Who could blame him for wanting out of this shambles.