The Falkirk FC Thread

The players released werent good enough to win us the championship. The problem is the ones brought in arent good enough to win league one. Dunfermline fans have jizzed over the likes of craigen and aird because they got them a playoff spot and that was good enough for them.  We were right to get rid of these players but we've just made an utter cant of replacing them.
This is a common error made by fans.

Players don't always fit nicely into brackets like this (the type good enough to win you the league, the type you might get a playoff with, the type that'll keep you in the division etc).

Different players perform differently with other players, managers, and systems in place.

It's not just a case of bringing in certain standard of player (let's sign him because he's a championship winner), it's about building a team. Livi showed that you can make two promotions in two years, and ayr are doing fairly well this year with a very similar team which came very close to bottling league 1.

Two years ago Ayr signed Gary harkins and we all got carried away - and then he turned out to be one of the worst signings in recent history. He's a very, very good player but he didn't fit our team.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

This is a common error made by fans.

Players don't always fit nicely into brackets like this (the type good enough to win you the league, the type you might get a playoff with, the type that'll keep you in the division etc).

Different players perform differently with other players, managers, and systems in place.

It's not just a case of bringing in certain standard of player (let's sign him because he's a championship winner), it's about building a team. Livi showed that you can make two promotions in two years, and ayr are doing fairly well this year with a very similar team which came very close to bottling league 1.

Two years ago Ayr signed Gary harkins and we all got carried away - and then he turned out to be one of the worst signings in recent history. He's a very, very good player but he didn't fit our team.

This. 

We used to see the same the other way around. We would lose good strikers who would then go on to be bang average elsewhere. Very much the case of good enough players in a system that suits them. Now we have until January to see if we can do the same with this lot. 

Guest Back Post Misses

Looking at the chasm in our central defence when Irving gave the ball away for the first yesterday, I’d have bet that we would more than likely got a point out of yesterday.
Releasing players you don’t want is fine. But it only works once you are certain that what you are bringing in is better. It’s certainly not.

That is exactly what has happened. We were happy to see the back of the Grants and Taiwos because we were promised a better quality. That doesn't mean we should go back to the Championship jobbers who couldn't get us out this league either after numerous attempts

1 hour ago, Bairn Necessities said:

This is bollocks. He certainly wasn't an unpopular choice but the support definitely didn't "ask" for him. 

I think it was more relief at getting Houston out while we had a chance of turning it around. 

As far as managers go it was between Coyle and Hartley the majority wanted, when you look at the situation we were in Hartley done what was required of him by keeping us up.  As for the scouting if "Mitch" was who the board appointed to scout/identify  players then questions need to be asked.

As for the players pretty much think we can pin it down to a number of things main one being badly man managed, poor team selection (playing players out of position), not to mention the coaching methods.

McKinnon looks so far as if he can get some of them coached enough to get us to January but by far and large a good proportion were poor signings with little more than a handful of them with the potential to be any good.

30 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

McKinnon looks so far as if he can get some of them coached enough to get us to January but by far and large a good proportion were poor signings with little more than a handful of them with the potential to be any good.

At least they looked smashing.

That is exactly what has happened. We were happy to see the back of the Grants and Taiwos because we were promised a better quality. That doesn't mean we should go back to the Championship jobbers who couldn't get us out this league either after numerous attempts

.....and I am not proposing that either.

However rather than slagging off some of our longstanding servants and calling for their heads, some of us should probably recognise that it’s not always guaranteed that our next signing will be better either...

I would take some convincing that the current squad is better than the one we had this time last year..

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

However rather than slagging off some of our longstanding servants and calling for their heads, some of us should probably recognise that it’s not always guaranteed that our next signing will be better either...

I would take some convincing that the current squad is better than the one we had this time last year..

Neither is it really any worse.

One thing in its favour, is that they've recently come together. Last seasons squad had blown a chance of the play off final, only three months previous.

33 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Its definitely not. I reckon if Ray took over that squad last season and did a wee bit of wheeling and dealing we could still have made the playoffs.  We were all jizzing at Hartley getting us clear of Dumbarton but I now get the feeling that a decent manager would've got us a lot further up the table.

51 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Thing was though that the short-term signings that Hartley made all looked not too bad. Nelson, Jakubiak and Longridge were all very good, Tumilty and Blair did a job and even Welsh added something. I think it was reasonable then that most of us assumed that he could spot a player and further assumed that the new signings would all be decent. It's mind boggling that they're all as poor as they are!

24 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Thing was though that the short-term signings that Hartley made all looked not too bad. Nelson, Jakubiak and Longridge were all very good, Tumilty and Blair did a job and even Welsh added something. I think it was reasonable then that most of us assumed that he could spot a player and further assumed that the new signings would all be decent. It's mind boggling that they're all as poor as they are!

Thing is the new signings were largely down to "Mitch" whoever the f**k he actually was.  I can honestly say out of the omnishables we have Mitch needs kicked squarely in the nuts.

Edited by AL-FFC

I know it's far from my business to comment on the FFC board ( outside of Raygate),  but I can totally understand EdiBairns point - your board hired a Manager and then put their trust in him. Yes he made a horses cock of his recruitment, but your board did hire him then backed him. I don't think their job was to watch DVD's etc of possible targets, they had hired a Manager to do that.

Feel free to comment on the board and their CEO and managerial appointments all negative and positive contributions are welcome I'm sure.
We are in this mess because of consistently bad decision making by our committee but that is only my opinion .What processes checks etc were on place before we traded Mark Ker for the likes of TOE ! Hippo for Lewis or Watson for dallison, We have been consistently underperforming for a decade and there's only been one constant in that time and he repeatedly tries to find a solution that will allow him to move on . it's a sin because he's a genuinely nice guy but you need to have a bit more than that to succeed in this cut throat business. Ray McKinnon will be sick of hearing how our CEO masterminded the homeless World Cup pretty soon . God only knows what he'll make of a club run by a lady lawyer more quaint than his experience at Dundee united perhaps .More legal than at Morton for sure but better organized and committed than st Johnston Motherwell Hamilton Livingston and even the likes of Alloa I doubt it.

Do we know who it was who spotted all of the above? If it wasn’t Mitch or Hartley we could do with his/her help again?