The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What on earth does "with coaching" mean?

Everyone else seems to have  figured it out. It means, they would be reasonable players at that level if they received intensive coaching beyond what would normally happen during a session. Chiefly because they are either not quite ready, or in need of extra positional help. Kinda what Hartley should have been doing instead of whatever it was he actually was doing during his time at the club. 

If it involves keeping them behind after training to walk them through positioning, for example, then that's what needs to happen.

Guest Back Post Misses

Massive game next week IMO, as big a league game as we have played in this division in a long time. If we get a victory I may have a bit more faith/hope like others on here. A defeat is going to give us a mountain to climb to get off the bottom

Guest Back Post Misses
Yet another point you've missed, or chosen to ignore. See my reply above. Maybe read it twice. 

Your reply makes me think CC and ML should have given you the job.

58 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Massive game next week IMO, as big a league game as we have played in this division in a long time. If we get a victory I may have a bit more faith/hope like others on here. A defeat is going to give us a mountain to climb to get off the bottom

It'll be a draw then.

We don’t have time to “coach” players out of this. Christ, we already something 14% of the way through the season.

Fine, supporters can do little more than hoping it get better next week, and I think we have seen in the past, that was MR’s plan too, but that isn’t going to work this time.

Every side we play now senses blood. Do you think when QotS were two up at Ayr, that Ayr side thought they had a sniff of winning? Of course they didn’t they did well to keep it down to five.

We are a different prospect. Every manager in the country knows we have duds and panic merchants at the back and that we cannot defend to save our lives. Every team is going to get the upper hand on us at some point in the game, and when they do, they will score again and again. You cannot coach out rank rottenness within the season.

11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We don’t have time to “coach” players out of this. Christ, we already something 14% of the way through the season.

Fine, supporters can do little more than hoping it get better next week, and I think we have seen in the past, that was MR’s plan too, but that isn’t going to work this time.

Every side we play now senses blood. Do you think when QotS were two up at Ayr, that Ayr side thought they had a sniff of winning? Of course they didn’t they did well to keep it down to five.

We are a different prospect. Every manager in the country knows we have duds and panic merchants at the back and that we cannot defend to save our lives. Every team is going to get the upper hand on us at some point in the game, and when they do, they will score again and again. You cannot coach out rank rottenness within the season.

We aren't getting championship players in at this time of year, so we either coach these guys hard twice a day or pull the shutters down in the season. 

That's where your wrong. All we have is time between now and January. Would you rather we just accepted these players are shite and lost every game till we can bring others in?

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

You make a good point. Every team talk will be based on this lot are their for the taking so get stuck in about them.   McKinnon has just got to get the best out of what he has got until January.  Get a formation that gets the best out of what talent they have and negate the weakness.  To be pragmatic a realistic target is to be in touch come the transfer window,  how our expectations have fallen.

Edited by HopeStreetWalker

Guest Back Post Misses
That's where your wrong. All we have is time between now and January. Would you rather we just accepted these players are shite and lost every game till we can bring others in?

It is only you and DeeBairn who seem to be in denial about their ability. They are not all shite but unfortunately not enough are good enough. McKinnon is not a miracle worker. He has a massive job on his hands without reinforcements before Christmas.

It is only you and DeeBairn who seem to be in denial about their ability. They are not all shite but unfortunately not enough are good enough. McKinnon is not a miracle worker. He has a massive job on his hands without reinforcements before Christmas.
How am I in denial? I'd love to go back to May and start all over again, however, we have what we have till at least January and even then we may only be able to bring a few players in, so if McKinnon can get even a couple of these players to improve then it's a benefit. I'm not expecting him to turn any of them into team of the year material but Petra is already looking more useful up top than he did on the wing. Hopefully he'll find a way to utilise what we have till he can make changes

I'm not in denial, we've been rank rotten. Where we differ is that I believe that properly coached and motivated, these players are capable of getting results. And I'm hopeful of being proven right, because if not, we will be sunk by the time the window reopens. 

12 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

I'm not in denial, we've been rank rotten. Where we differ is that I believe that properly coached and motivated, these players are capable of getting results. And I'm hopeful of being proven right, because if not, we will be sunk by the time the window reopens. 

Agree 100%. They are capable of getting results for the simple reason, our opponents are Scottish Championship level. Yesterday's first 45 minutes showed what can be achieved against an ordinary side who fancy their chances. A little bit more organisation when defending will see results. Right now I'm encouraged. Not confident but encouraged.

Guest Back Post Misses

God I hope you are right and I am wrong but this has all the looks of a disaster to me. If we can get result this weekend I will maybe start to change my mind

We aren't getting championship players in at this time of year, so we either coach these guys hard twice a day or pull the shutters down in the season. 

I agree with this. There isn’t really the time but it’s the job of the manager to get the best out of the players we have so, of course, good coaching is critical. Especially with young inexperienced players.

However my concern is that there may be an issue with one or two who think they are better than they are. I’ve now seen both Hartley and McKinnon point out that players are not following instructions. Takes me back to preseason when one or two were being disrespectful to our captain during a match. If they are not willing to follow instructions they should GTF...

I wasn`t at Ayr, I`ve only seen highlights and I know how they can give a false impression but from what I saw our performance looked a substantial improvement on recent games. Yes, there`s a lot of work to be done and a few weeks ago I was looking at this game as a potential thrashing when in reality, it should have been our first three points.  We defended poorly in the second half without doubt but I noticed a bit of luck went Ayr`s way as well..especially at the winner. It`s a while since we had "a rub of the green" maybe that`s what`s needed to get a bit of confidence back and start picking up points.

Edited by 60`s bairn

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I agree with this. There isn’t really the time but it’s the job of the manager to get the best out of the players we have so, of course, good coaching is critical. Especially with young inexperienced players.

However my concern is that there may be an issue with one or two who think they are better than they are. I’ve now seen both Hartley and McKinnon point out that players are not following instructions. Takes me back to preseason when one or two were being disrespectful to our captain during a match. If they are not willing to follow instructions they should GTF...

Is this possibly why Robson has been consistently benched, despite being one of our best players? Greenwood as well? I know Ray seems to prefer 4231,which may not suit Greenwood, but you'd have to fancy him for one of the attacking 3 slots? 

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

God I hope you are right and I am wrong but this has all the looks of a disaster to me. If we can get result this weekend I will maybe start to change my mind

6 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

I wasn`t at Ayr, I`ve only seen highlights and I know how they can give a false impression but from what I saw our performance looked a substantial improvement on recent games. Yes, there`s a lot of work to be done and a few weeks ago I was looking at this game as a potential thrashing when in reality, it should have been our first three points.  We defended poorly in the second half without doubt but I noticed a bit of luck went Ayr`s way as well..especially at the winner. It`s a while since we had "a rub of the green" maybe that`s what`s needed to get a bit of confidence back and start picking up points.

I'm hoping like hell that I'm right too, I like an away day at the seaside, but during the summer, not on a rainy Saturday in February. 

We are missing a bit of luck, but teams that are playing with confidence seem to make their own luck, so we'll probably need a win or two before anything starts falling for us. God help us all.