The Falkirk FC Thread

Watched the goals back there and didn’t appreciate at the time just how absolutely shite Fasan was with a couple of them.

The first was terrible play from Irving running into trouble but Shanklands shot was almost straight at Fasan. You’d be expecting any semi competent ‘keeper to be keeping that out.

Second while it was a great strike from Geggan it was more awful defending from Brough. You can see that after the first header out he just stands there in front of Dallison instead of sticking with Geggan leaving him completely free.

The 3rd is of course the worst of the lot. It was a pretty shite free-kick everyone misses it at the front post but again no idea what Fasan is trying to do looks like he actually jumps over the ball. Obviously he couldn’t do anything about Shanland shot hitting off him but he should’ve dealt with it before it got that far.

With the way we played in the first half and the Rudden/Petravicius partnership up top actually giving us a goal threat are both very encouraging we’re not going to do anything with that back 4 and ‘keeper. Glad to see McKinnon saying he’s got money to bring players in and he’s already looking at free agents. Really needing a right-back and competent centre back ASAP.

Need an answer or reason as to why Dunne, greenwood Russell and especially robson who was miles ahead of anyone on the park last week, didn't feature. 
Don't know about Dunne, Russell and Robson being left out but Greenwood had a bit of a howler with the reserves on Monday. Didn't really look interested.

Thought McKinnon's after match interview was very good. He is saying the right things and I am confident he can keep us up. I am however an eternal optimist.

I think Robson wasn't involved as his strengths lie in going forward as an attacking full back. We were playing a proper defensive back 4 this week with them hardly going past that half way line. He obviously figured brough could do a better job just as a big strong defender.

I'd probably start him but I can see why Ray isn't playing Robson. With the quality of players we have, we're going to need to battle for every point and it'll be backs to the wall stuff at points, much like Huddersfield or Cardiff in the EPL.

In order to do that, we first and foremost need to have players who can defend and won't concede silly goals like Robson did at Ross County.

I think Robson wasn't involved as his strengths lie in going forward as an attacking full back. We were playing a proper defensive back 4 this week with them hardly going past that half way line. He obviously figured brough could do a better job just as a big strong defender.

Think we could have used him in the last 15 minutes tbh,...

Tbf Patrick Brough is a big fucking diddy. He must be around 6’4 but he’s shite in the air and positioning is horrible. Also lost count of the amount of times him and Dallison lost their men from corners/free kicks.

Obviously Robson isn’t exactly a great defender as the goal at Ross County but I’d much rather him (or Russell) ahead of Brough at left back.

Tbf Patrick Brough is a big fucking diddy. He must be around 6’4 but he’s shite in the air and positioning is horrible. Also lost count of the amount of times him and Dallison lost their men from corners/free kicks.

Obviously Robson isn’t exactly a great defender as the goal at Ross County but I’d much rather him (or Russell) ahead of Brough at left back.

Yet Brough and Harrison played well together last week with Brough playing left centre half. He won’t most things in the air, looked comfy on the ball and pretty much strolled the game.

Dallison at this point in time is like a man down.

Yeah, I don't necessarily think McKinnon should have played him but I think that's why he did. Robson also makes a lot of mistakes going back the way so I think that was his rationale.

8 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

We have been indoctrinated to accept mediocrity.

The standard required to be competitive at the top end of this league would mean only a few of these being good enough.

The only ones I would be sure about that have the quality required are Robson, Irving and Rudden. The rest are meh or utter shite for me. Sadly we only have two of them till Christmas.

I agree with you there are signs of improvement however results are all that count especially with the mess we are in.

I dunno how anyone can really assess us and point instantly to doom and gloom after one away game to Ayr. Our situation now is McKinnon will need a few games to see our weaknesses and strengths in where he needs to either coach or see if he can replace if that cog isnt working within the team.

We had one hell of cog stop in the 2nd half but Ayr were also poor in the 1st half and raised their game in the 2nd thanks to the early goal.

The first half was encouraging, the 2nd half was just a bit Hartley, but if we can get two first half performances in a game, we will be looking upwards soon enough......its still a big IF tho but I wont be holding out the end is nigh statement after one away game to Ayr......

3 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I would play Russell at left centre half. Looks the best of what I have seen in that position so far.

I was surprised not to see him even in the squad, for me the only outfield player that couldve stepped into the starting 11 from last weeks reserve game

I was surprised not to see him even in the squad, for me the only outfield player that couldve stepped into the starting 11 from last weeks reserve game
Looked really comfortable in the reserve game. Better than Dallison anyway, put in a right good few tackles and used the ball well.

Onwards and upwards. Mainly because we can't drop any further until the season is actually over. Signs of improvement, but it looks like a good few months of turd polishing ahead of us until we can have yet another clear out in January. 

Don’t know about “looking upwards soon enough”. We have been looking upwards since the first game of the season. Sorry, but we are sleep walking towards relegation if we are accepting defeat after defeat and hanging our hopes on “improvements” and “coaching” to get us out of this mess.

We have central defensive options of Muirhead, Dallison, Brough, Russell and Harrison. Of that five, incredibly, only Russell and Brough haven’t disgraced themselves. Dallison and Harrison and Muirhead should all be headed out the door at the earliest opportunity. Muirhead for being completely indisciplined regarding the job he has to do, Harrison because he is just a Clydesdale horse trying to compete at steeplechasing, and Dallison because he has the hair of a lion, and the heart of a mouse. Those three aren’t keeping us competitive, they lose us games.

Dennon Lewis is I think we all agree, a complete dud. Haber not interested, Mackin more like a tree on very small wheels.

As mentioned earlier, Robson, Irving, Rudden and maybe even Petra are all we have to go with. Paton was better yesterday, but that’s  one half way decent performance this season. I suppose we have to go with him.

Fasan has to go. Utterly honking. Has to be dropped. The above five plus a different keeper gives us a squad of six. We need desperately to bring in three free agents to make something of this. McKinnon cannot be expected to coach his way out of this mess the BoD and Hartley have created. It’s just too major a clusterfeck to fix without personnel changes.