The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

IMO we need to sign good players wherever they come from and ditch this 'we must sign English players because they're better than Scottish players' idea.

English academies have literally thousands of players in them, most of whom will be lucky to make a career at conference level, never mind be the next Messi. The ones who do have talent won't be coming anywhere near us for £800 a week anyway.

Even going down the route of signing players who have performed well in the national league or league 2 is difficult, as they will have much better offers down south with the money available there. What we're then left with is players  like we've signed who can't get a game for league 2 or conference teams.

I am excited to hear talk of us scouting Europe. I think this is where we could really find some gems as we'll be able to look at young players doing well in say Central/Eastern Europe who won't be on much money, instead of rejects from English conference teams.

Will this be allowed after Brexit? 

We went from Houstons ludicrous central scotland and nae further scouting system to Hartleys ludicrous their english so they must be great scouting system.  There's a common sense approach which is to sign good players wherever they come from leaving no areas out of bounds. However, players have to be able to play in this league at the end of the day. Too many players think its going to be an easy ride or are simply not suited or ready for the physical side of the game up here.

Good to see Rays first interview, he talked some sense, and dodged some dodgy questions at the same time, reckon he will need a good few players in January....he also confirmed that we had permissions to speak to him on Friday.

Onwards and Upwards
Where can we see this?

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
27 minutes ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:
Good to see Rays first interview, he talked some sense, and dodged some dodgy questions at the same time, reckon he will need a good few players in January....he also confirmed that we had permissions to speak to him on Friday.

Onwards and Upwards

Where can we see this?

Falkirk Herald - Falkirk FC on Facebook live streamed it...you can still see it

2 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Need to wonder where we are now, with no Academy and the Brentford model scrapped as the scout has been sacked. The Academy won’t be brought back, so the reliance is on McKinnon and Taylor until eventually leave, and then what?

We will be in the premiership or battling at the top of the championship by then... :)  

35 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I am excited to hear talk of us scouting Europe. I think this is where we could really find some gems as we'll be able to look at young players doing well in say Central/Eastern Europe who won't be on much money, instead of rejects from English conference teams.

Not after Brexit we won’t.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Need to wonder where we are now, with no Academy and the Brentford model scrapped as the scout has been sacked. The Academy won’t be brought back, so the reliance is on McKinnon and Taylor until eventually leave, and then what?

The aim is always to have a manager who is too good for us, and who will one day, move on to bigger and better things.

Understand the need to have a ‘better’ manager who will move on. I’m more concerned about our backstop. The Academy acted as our saviour when we were relegated and we fielded the youngest XI in Scottish Football history by average age I’m sure (Sibbs, Fulton, Alston, Kingsley). The worry is when McKinnon goes, are we always going to rely on the new manager’s network?  I think FFC need more control here. Personally I’d like the Academy re-instated, or a smaller version which serves a similar purpose. But I can’t see that happening til we’re at least promoted to fund it. 

38 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Understand the need to have a ‘better’ manager who will move on. I’m more concerned about our backstop. The Academy acted as our saviour when we were relegated and we fielded the youngest XI in Scottish Football history by average age I’m sure (Sibbs, Fulton, Alston, Kingsley). The worry is when McKinnon goes, are we always going to rely on the new manager’s network?  I think FFC need more control here. Personally I’d like the Academy re-instated, or a smaller version which serves a similar purpose. But I can’t see that happening til we’re at least promoted to fund it. 

We did. In the game against Raith Rovers through there (we narrowly lost), it was the youngest recorded starting eleven at that or any other pro league game in Scotland.

i don’t know if we can have contingency plans for every eventuality. When we lose a manager who is doing well, near enough by definition, we are doing well, and we become attractive to the next generation of up and comings. The big mistake is when you go for someone like Stubbs, who achieved the square root of nothing other than Hibs achieving their Cup win. He truly lucked in there.

St Mirren’s board unfortunately bought into the “big name” nonsense, and it has cost them dearly.

No recruitment plan is foolproof, but I can assure you, it can be made consistently better. The single biggest mistake is a board who recruit someone who is really good, and who then sit and congratulate themselves on their amazing insight. Then they feck up next time.

The key bit is analysing the shit out of the good guy, and recording/capturing what he does that makes him good. It might be a bit of charismatic, a bit of autocratic, a bit of bureaucratic, but any BoD worth their salt need to capture it, and build it into what they are looking for next time.

They should do the same when it’s a bad guy for the self same reasons. It needs to be recorded though. Anecdotal bollox two years later is useless.

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

I think it's tricky. I always felt with the Academy there,the whole focus of the board was about how to maximise transfer income . 

I genuinely believe if you gave them two scenarios :-

1) 2nd placed finish..lose in playoffs .. sell 2 players for combined £750k

Or.

2) 4th placed finish..go up via playoffs.. no player sales

They'd have picked number 1 every time..

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Pressley's recent record has screwed his reputation and he is currently managing in Cyprus. 

He is too good to manage in Scotland "his own claim" yet his success at Coventry and Fleetwood has seen him now ply his trade in Cyprus.

Funny tho, I actually can see his good points at Falkirk after Hartley, tho a chair with a broken leg had more good points than Hartley

Thought McKinnon came across well in the interview and seems to have come out of this with a lot of dignity despite what the Morton fans and chairman say.

For us we have to get behind him no matter how it goes until January. We don't want to be chopping and changing managers every 5 mins and we have to remember it is Hartley's fucked up squad that he is trying to build a team out of.

Any fans booing if things aren't going right in the coming months really need to f**k up.

12 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Thought McKinnon came across well in the interview and seems to have come out of this with a lot of dignity despite what the Morton fans and chairman say.

For us we have to get behind him no matter how it goes until January. We don't want to be chopping and changing managers every 5 mins and we have to remember it is Hartley's fucked up squad that he is trying to build a team out of.

Any fans booing if things aren't going right in the coming months really need to f**k up.

Do you honestly believe he is telling the truth?

He said he hadn't spoke to anyone  at Falkirk before Fri afternoon. The first news about him taking the job broke on Twitter at 2.41 on Fri from The Sun reporter yet McKinnon took training on Fri morning which I would imagine would finish around 12.30-1pm and I can't imagine he would feck off  up the road bang on finish time being the gaffa and all! He then apparently drove to Falkirk from Port Glasgow while Falkirk had to contact Morton to "ask" for permission to speak to McKinnon. He then had a sit down with your chairman about the vision, was shown around the infrastructure of the club, discuss personal terms  and then had to make a decision to leave Morton which he admitted was very difficult so I presume that decision wasn't made instantly.  Do you see how it doesn't add up here?  He already had the job before 2.41 for the journo to know about it. It's clear as day conversations took place before Fri afternoon.

Did one of your own fans not say they seen him at your stadium on Wednesday?

McKinnon and Falkirk are lying, pure and simple!

He said he hadn't spoke to anyone  at Falkirk before Fri afternoon. The first news about him taking the job broke on Twitter at 2.41 on Fri from The Sun reporter yet McKinnon took training on Fri morning which I would imagine would finish around 12.30-1pm and I can't imagine he would feck off  up the road bang on finish time being the gaffa and all! He then apparently drove to Falkirk from Port Glasgow while Falkirk had to contact Morton to "ask" for permission to speak to McKinnon. He then had a sit down with your chairman about the vision, was shown around the infrastructure of the club, discuss personal terms  and then had to make a decision to leave Morton which he admitted was very difficult so I presume that decision wasn't made instantly.  Do you see how it doesn't add up here?  He already had the job before 2.41 for the journo to know about it. It's clear as day conversations took place before Fri afternoon.
Stop it.... I honestly cant take any more of this. You're fucking killing me here.

The man and Falkirk FC are clearly as honest as the day is long.

I just love the fact that I support a club that can show respect for other clubs and keep their cool when others around are clearly losing their's.

9 minutes ago, madton said:

Accusations of lies and tapping up are lower than a snake's belly imo

Would you rather you kept Ray against his will?

Accusations of lies and tapping up are lower than a snake's belly imo
Would you rather you kept Ray against his will?
Read his post again, its borne from the last few synapses firing in a completely detached cranium.

You wont get any sense from him, the nerve endings are all dead now.