The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

My opinion is that we got into the mess because the manager brought in players who didn't perform to the levels expected between their arrivals and his departure. 

Fair enough re the "independent ad hoc hire" part. I don't know if any other clubs do it, or  how a potential incoming manager would react if told at interview that his future decisions would need to be approved by such a person, but at least you've answered the question. Thank you.

Re Alex Smith, I have no idea what role he actually played. I think my wording made it clear that I was speculating. You wording seems to infer that you know otherwise. 

Personally - and this is also speculation - I always thought that Alex may have decided to leave after the decision to axe the Academy was made. That was the largest part of his duties, after. I therefore assumed that he was fully involved in the recruitment and supervision / mentoring of PH. If you know otherwise I'd be interested to hear your insights.

It wasn’t insights as such. Obvious that the man was hurting wrt academy, but the new project was simply met with a “times move on, and my way of doings things is perhaps being superseded now, and it’s pointless being bitter and not accepting that. Of course, with me off to pastures new, me chipping in with my opinion on this or that wouldn’t be right.”

Alex was Alex. Strong viewpoint, but didn’t come out with any negatives on anyone.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

You cant cite his runs of wins/losses with also providing context. Not many teams go on monster winning runs in this league. His Raith team were impressive to me. I felt Utd were hasty in sacking him and he has managed to get Morton in decent shape.

We beat Morton 3 times last season, for context. So he took on a poor outfit there.

What more context do you need that he was punting long balls to Daly up until January, got a window and improved massively when they weren't punting long balls to Daly

The Raith team was a mess pre the jan window that's a fact which is a bit of comfort with us, he had the biggest budget at United which you do expect him to do better with, his winning run at Raith in 14 games, he has lived off as being a good manager which got him the gig at Utd, his poor form at Utd got him the Morton gig.

What more context do you need that he was punting long balls to Daly up until January, got a window and improved massively when they weren't punting long balls to Daly
The Raith team was a mess pre the jan window that's a fact which is a bit of comfort with us, he had the biggest budget at United which you do expect him to do better with, his winning run at Raith in 14 games, he has lived off as being a good manager which got him the gig at Utd, his poor form at Utd got him the Morton gig.

And his good form at Morton finally got him his first big job[emoji7] [emoji7] [emoji7]

When local press start reporting it you know it's true.

Morton's board have a serious amount of explaining to do. Obviously Falkirk offer a larger wage, larger budget and more long term potential, but all of those things apply to an even greater extent for Ian McCall; is that all there is to it?