The Falkirk FC Thread

Jim Duffy would be a stable appointment. We could do worse than appointing him on a deal until the end of the season IMO then assess where we are when we get to that point. If we aren't careful and go balls out on a risky appointment and it fucks up only to sack another manager within a year, we risk being seen as a poisoned chalice and the cycle of turnover and struggling begins again.

It would definitely be an underwhelming appointment but a little bit of 'ship-steadying' might not go amiss right now.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Whoever is appointed there is a much more fundamental issue with the club. It is being run as a social community experiment rather than a football club. You only have to look at the CV of the CEO - FFS! It's all very touchy feely  but it doesn't deliver tangible results on the football pitch which is all 99% of us care about. Until the profile of the board can be addressed that is a huge problem and, with certain honourable exceptions, no doubt they will not allow themselves to be addressed unless they are bought out of the comfortable sinecures their shareholdings provide them with. Time for the next generation to step up to the plate ( I shall have a word with the missus but as the RFC (now defunct) tax dodger owner once said, "how do you make a small fortune - start with a large one and buy a F'n football club").

Jim Duffy would be a stable appointment. We could do worse than appointing him on a deal until the end of the season IMO then assess where we are when we get to that point. If we aren't careful and go balls out on a risky appointment and it fucks up only to sack another manager within a year, we risk being seen as a poisoned chalice and the cycle of turnover and struggling begins again.
It would definitely be an underwhelming appointment but a little bit of 'ship-steadying' might not go amiss right now.

Yeah. The same people who are saying our squad is made up of non football players also seem to to the folk dismissing Duffy (aye uninspiring but knows the league well and should be able to organise a squad of big lads to look like they have a plan) and advocating nonsense like Mark Kerr etc.

I dont WANT a Jim Duffy. I recognise however that we may NEED a Jim Duffy.

28 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Hmmm.

You may not have heard of Shane Supple. He was a goalie at Ipswich Town who we got on loan while in the SPL. He got so sick of the money and entitlement down in England that he actually quit and went back to Ireland to join the Gardai.

He gave a very interesting interview soon afterwards where he said he loved his time at Falkirk because players were not spoilt! Even down to bringing in their own pieces etc. So I doubt after several years down a league we have turned into something you might see a documentary on Amazon Prime about.

Well the bit about pieces is utter nonsense because I was regularly in the training ground at the time and the players were served hot lunches from a buffet properly catered and this was the year we won the first division andnpromotion to the SPL. From then on the facilities and what was on offer to the players got better and better, so Kerr's account seems much more accurate than supples in my experience. 

Who ever gets the job now after the knock backs just reinforces the case that it won't be long til we are now confirmed as a " Diddy Team ".

And the prize is a place in the Seaside League with the added bonus of Administration.

Dig oot yer plastic collection buckets lads .

40 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Hmmm.

You may not have heard of Shane Supple. He was a goalie at Ipswich Town who we got on loan while in the SPL. He got so sick of the money and entitlement down in England that he actually quit and went back to Ireland to join the Gardai.

He gave a very interesting interview soon afterwards where he said he loved his time at Falkirk because players were not spoilt! Even down to bringing in their own pieces etc. So I doubt after several years down a league we have turned into something you might see a documentary on Amazon Prime about.

You're right - never heard of him.  That's interesting again - there are probably various levels of what 'not spoilt' constitutes!  For example I beleive Jack Ruddy who we had on loan from Wolves last season felt he was well above the jobs he was asked to do. 

To be honest I assumed Kerr was meaning youth players at Falkirk so didnt ask any questions - it's only in the last 24 hours or so I read that Hartley moved the focus away from that.  

Wasn't having a dig - just repeating what I was told. Kerr came accross really well and like a model pro, yet Queen of the South fans and possibly a few others say he is a bad egg and a disruptive influence in the dressing room. Who knows.  He's been a superb signing for us so far though. 

11 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:
13 minutes ago, Newmember said:
Jim Duffy  Danny Lennon . Steve Aitken now become to top 3 targets 
Gus McPherson might just be the man 

Out of that 3 I choose Duffy.

Out of that three I’d just shut the fechin doors. Dear god what a shambles we are.

cant believe we’re at the point of those two today turning us down.

Out of that three I’d just shut the fechin doors. Dear god what a shambles we are.

cant believe we’re at the point of those two today turning us down.

I agree it's like losing a tenner and finding a quid but it would appear we are now scraping in the poundstrecher bargain bucket of management.

Still have hope we are all going to be pleasantly surprised by the announcement but it is dwindling as time goes by.

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

You're right - never heard of him.  That's interesting again - there are probably various levels of what 'not spoilt' constitutes!  For example I beleive Jack Ruddy who we had on loan from Wolves last season felt he was well above the jobs he was asked to do. 

To be honest I assumed Kerr was meaning youth players at Falkirk so didnt ask any questions - it's only in the last 24 hours or so I read that Hartley moved the focus away from that.  

Wasn't having a dig - just repeating what I was told. Kerr came accross really well and like a model pro, yet Queen of the South fans and possibly a few others say he is a bad egg and a disruptive influence in the dressing room. Who knows.  He's been a superb signing for us so far though. 

I never took it as a dig. Just putting another viewpoint across.

Never met the guy, but QOS supporters, each considered a  journeyfan, have a real bee in their bonnet about MK and John Baird. It appears MK was right about Hartley though, that seems beyond doubt.

Just heard Billy Dodds on radio scotland mention something about turning down an approach from Falkirk .I took it to mean it was his sidekick Jim Mcintyre  that was doing the turning down .Never heard all of it .. Thats a pairing i,d almost forgot about. 

7 minutes ago, gastropod said:

Just heard Billy Dodds on radio scotland mention something about turning down an approach from Falkirk .I took it to mean it was his sidekick Jim Mcintyre  that was doing the turning down .Never heard all of it .. Thats a pairing i,d almost forgot about. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45356476