The Falkirk FC Thread

Whilst bored at work today I was thinking about where we are as a club.

You look at how well our support has held up in the Championship, the money we have brought in from player sales, concerts at the stadium, all things that should be bringing in revenue and wonder why as a club we seem to being going backwards at the moment.

You then look at teams at the bottom end of the Premier who would love our support but seem to be progressing and wonder where we are going wrong.

Does the blame rest with our board over the years. The stadium has been a disaster. We built a monstrosity of a main stand when we should have set out to build a much smaller complete stadium plus we have to pay a fortune every season in rent.

I hope and pray that in another month or so we have clicked as a team and have started climbing the league and this post looks stupid but at the moment promotion looks a long way off.

19 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

You look at how well our support has held up in the Championship, the money we have brought in from player sales, concerts at the stadium, all things that should be bringing in revenue and wonder why as a club we seem to being going backwards at the moment.

You then look at teams at the bottom end of the Premier who would love our support but seem to be progressing and wonder where we are going wrong.

Does the blame rest with our board over the years. The stadium has been a disaster. We built a monstrosity of a main stand when we should have set out to build a much smaller complete stadium plus we have to pay a fortune every season in rent.

I hope and pray that in another month or so we have clicked as a team and have started climbing the league and this post looks stupid but at the moment promotion looks a long way off.

Unfortunately I've already started thinking about Hartley's replacement. Hopefully I look incredibly stupid in a month's time :lol:

Guest Back Post Misses

Outside the undoubted good job the commercial dept seem to do the club is owned and still run by unambitious old men who don’t care enough any more. Until the ownership changes very else will IMO.

Outside the undoubted good job the commercial dept seem to do the club is owned and still run by unambitious old men who don’t care enough any more. Until the ownership changes very else will IMO.
Agree the commercial dept are doing a fantastic job, just a shame those that run the club aren't doing likewise.

Guest Back Post Misses
Agree the commercial dept are doing a fantastic job, just a shame those that run the club aren't doing likewise.

[emoji106]

2 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Indeed. I'm trying to get over my knee-jerk knickerwetting after the 1st half at Firhill & convince myself that, football being football, there are bound to be a couple of diamonds in that squad. Lewis & Dallison, for me, seem to have the most potential. Even Petrvicius should be able to a job, considering his pace. Will be interesting to see how we're doing after the first round of fixtures. 

I've got the absolute fear about this season. Even at this point. 

I've thought of this a few times over the past few seasons.
Are we really that hamstrung by the stadium? Is there anything that can be done about it?
A smaller stadium like St Mirrens but with the same building quality as ours would have been ideal.

Genuine question....and trying to be devils advocate here.

Does the size of our stadium on that land determine the rental charges? Also would we have had the capacity for the small businesses that are renting the stadium to still do so?

Finally, was the issue at the time when we were building not that the SPL wanted 10k capacity stadiums?

I'm sure it was 10k when we starting to build the main stand but it dropped to 6k the year after allowing to join the big boys in 2005/06

What's happened to all the optimism on here, this thread is getting worse than OneF and COYB Facebook sites combined.

Only 2 league games played and 36 to go!!

Keep taking the pills [emoji381]

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

TBH I would describe the reserve pool as seven ex FVFA graduates, two first teamers who may or may not be with us after the window closes and one other.

Over the course of the season they'll presumably be supplemented by first team squad players who don't get a run out on a Saturday.    

Aka mess

They'd be as well leaving players not playing hanging about looking for a game with pitch hires

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Finally, was the issue at the time when we were building not that the SPL wanted 10k capacity stadiums?

It was lowered by the time we went up, we don't have 10k now with three stands, we went up with two stands and a tent

8 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Unfortunately I've already started thinking about Hartley's replacement. Hopefully I look incredibly stupid in a month's time :lol:

Can we replace the council with one daft enough to not charge us rent? 

I'm sure it was 10k when we starting to build the main stand but it dropped to 6k the year after allowing to join the big boys in 2005/06

What's happened to all the optimism on here, this thread is getting worse than OneF and COYB Facebook sites combined.

Only 2 league games played and 36 to go!!

Keep taking the pills [emoji381]

We only play 36 games a season. 9 x 4, son.

Undoubtably we are being held back by inept leadership. Appointing a committee might work in a bowling club but a football club needs a devoted leader with more money than sense. MR has lots of sense and will only put in money if its a loan  but to be fair to him would you do any different. He and his cohorts quite rightly enjoy their Saturday club  days out & if there is no white knight  on the horizon then we had all better get used to championship mediocrity. Countless poor decisions including the stadium design were the responsibility of the current leadership. And whilst I don't doubt the current chairperson is a devoted fan I'm afraid that's not enough to bring to an end the pent up frustration at the lack of relative success when measured against results achieved by clubs who are not any bigger but have a stronger leader.(with a financial interest) Sacking a few more managers won't solve the problem but instead  just paper over the rather obvious crack! We have had ten years of mediocrity for a very obvious reason and only when there's change at the top will there be hope below. In the meantime we should all be genuinely thankful for the frugality of our current leaders as at least they keep the club solvent and put in a power of unpaid work to achieve this. Having their own Saturday club is probably fair  recompense for their efforts but don't expect the expected should be our mantra for now!