The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Sounds like he was in there to fill the team out so we could play a game. Poor bugger has probably been fucked around. 

Now expecting us to sign him on a three year deal. 

Does @Reggie Perrinrecognize him? 

He's a young lad who's been training with the reserves; there have been a few in over the summer. None of them are names that would be recognised.

While I haven't asked anyone about him specifically, I would be surprised if he's under consideration as a potential first team signing.

2 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

You've got to wonder what the point is in us playing in the reserve league this season if we're struggling to field a team and getting tanked 3-0 by Morton.

- to give young players game time to hopefully make the jump to first team

- to give injured players game time before they go back to first team duties

- to give the manager a chance to spot any younger player he might consider for the first team 

- to keep players fit we are looking to punt

- somewhere to send all the players the manager s Is 'falling out with'

do results matter in it?...ultimately no, but it does have its benefits

Sounds like he was in there to fill the team out so we could play a game. Poor bugger has probably been fucked around. 

Now expecting us to sign him on a three year deal. 

Does [mention=58709]Reggie Perrin[/mention]recognize him? 

No, looked pretty young.
Not bad but no where near first team level.

- to give the manager a chance to spot any younger player he might consider for the first team 

I agree with all that obviously but it was strange to see the team we had out. Would like to think that even in a reserve game players would at least be playing close to their position. Russell as a CB just looked so wrong.

See how much crankiness is generated by stopping the season after 2 games?

Not enough time to put together a meaningful rant, not enough time to get complacent about the season ahead, not enough time to see the “green shoots of recovery” in signings you thought were dire.

All two games give us is pent up crankiness. Roll on Saturday to give us something to really moan about.

29 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I agree with all that obviously but it was strange to see the team we had out. Would like to think that even in a reserve game players would at least be playing close to their position. Russell as a CB just looked so wrong.

The reserves don't have a centre-back though. The two U20 CH's were released two seasons ago and there was nobody ready to make the step up from the Academy at the start of last season. Hence why they played most of the year with a converted centreforward (Harry Girdwood) - at centrehalf. Or players like Watson and Grant when they were coming back from injury.

I actually think that's part of the reason the U20s were so poor last year.

Dallison & McGhee went off with injuries in the Rangers colts game & we know Brough is out, so it's hardly a surprise that Muirhead & Harrison weren't risked in a reserve game today. And without them, there was no-one else to play the position.

23 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

See how much crankiness is generated by stopping the season after 2 games?

Not enough time to put together a meaningful rant, not enough time to get complacent about the season ahead, not enough time to see the “green shoots of recovery” in signings you thought were dire.

All two games give us is pent up crankiness. Roll on Saturday to give us something to really moan about.

I'm not so much cranky as utterly deflated. 3 months of optimistic build up then those 2 (6) 'performances'. Cant even be arsed speculating about line ups/formations/most effective positions because, to be honest, I couldn't give a toss. I just want us to start winning games.

38 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

I'm not so much cranky as utterly deflated. 3 months of optimistic build up then those 2 (6) 'performances'. 

I'm the same. I don't feel ragin just disappointed. I really fancied a season of being excited by a squad with a bit of talent and swagger. 

A few gallus players. Instead, we have ....

This lot.

1 hour ago, falkirkzombie said:

do results matter in it?...ultimately no, but it does have its benefits

Of course that's the point of a reserve team, but if we're so short of players that we're having to play people drastically out of position, that can't be much use to anybody.

Edited by EdiBairn

The thing is, I don't even see what this squad is supposed to be. Were they were assembled to shitfest 1-0s (which Hartley's Dundee seemed to do a lot of when they won the Championship) or dominate opponents, with a solid defensive unit & Paton mopping up counter attacks then setting up the (presumed) ballers? 

Utterly bemused by the whole thing.

7 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

The thing is, I don't even see what this squad is supposed to be. Were they were assembled to shitfest 1-0s (which Hartley's Dundee seemed to do a lot of when they won the Championship) or dominate opponents, with a solid defensive unit & Paton mopping up counter attacks then setting up the (presumed) ballers? 

I don't think Hartley knows what it's supposed to be either. Lets just hope he settles on a formation and sticks with it. 

Best case scenario is Livingston have a brain fart and come in for Hartley (I know, never gonna happen) and we try and get McCall (probably wouldn't want to come anyway). Seeing the job he is doing at Ayr I'd love him back here. 

Guest Back Post Misses
The reserves don't have a centre-back though. The two U20 CH's were released two seasons ago and there was nobody ready to make the step up from the Academy at the start of last season. Hence why they played most of the year with a converted centreforward (Harry Girdwood) - at centrehalf. Or players like Watson and Grant when they were coming back from injury.
I actually think that's part of the reason the U20s were so poor last year.
Dallison & McGhee went off with injuries in the Rangers colts game & we know Brough is out, so it's hardly a surprise that Muirhead & Harrison weren't risked in a reserve game today. And without them, there was no-one else to play the position.

Jesus how this plan is ever going to work is beyond me. Nothing coming through, poor players coming in and a reserve pool with 11 players plus a trialist.

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

and a reserve pool with 11 players plus a trialist.

TBH I would describe the reserve pool as seven ex FVFA graduates, two first teamers who may or may not be with us after the window closes and one other.

Over the course of the season they'll presumably be supplemented by first team squad players who don't get a run out on a Saturday.    

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

It really does look like a ragtag bunch of misfits. Early days though.

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It really does look like a ragtag bunch of misfits. Early days though.

Indeed. I'm trying to get over my knee-jerk knickerwetting after the 1st half at Firhill & convince myself that, football being football, there are bound to be a couple of diamonds in that squad. Lewis & Dallison, for me, seem to have the most potential. Even Petrvicius should be able to a job, considering his pace. Will be interesting to see how we're doing after the first round of fixtures.