The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

After Hartley's comments in his interview I think he will stick to the 3 at the back now so with that in mind my lineup would be.

Unfortunately I can't fit Greenwood in there. On the plus side I only have 1 player out of position! :lol:                                                        

lineup (6).png

Doesn't look too awful, but how about sending Paton to the retirement home for angry and worn out old footballers take a wee punt with Russell in midfield and Greenwood on the right?

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Doesn't look too awful, but how about sending Paton to the retirement home for angry and worn out old footballers take a wee punt with Russell in midfield and Greenwood on the right?

Taking punts on full backs at CM after 17 signings shows just how much of a mare this has been.

11 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I've been critical of Sammut so far but I'd maybe have him in for Paton as defensive mid and see if he can dictate things a bit better without Paton in the team. 

2 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

I honestly don't think we are a million miles away player wise; it's more the Paul Hartley's team selection, strategy and team shape I am more concerned about. The team look lost when out on the park with little direction or understanding of how PH wants them to play. We were absolutely disjointed against PTFC with no one apart from Irving willing to take any responsibility.

Fasan

McGhee - Muirhead - Harrison - Russell/Robson

Greenwood - Paton - Irving - Robson/Russell

Haber - Lewis

Players like TOE may come good with more experience. He reminds me slightly of Leahy when he first joined in the respect you could see he was at a decent level but never looked involved or influencing a game. Fasan in goal has been pretty comfortable, one of the better signings imo. His distribution is excellent and I can't think of any of the league goals you'd expect him to be saving.

That looks about right to me, think we need to get Greenwood in the team somehow as he looks a talent. Not averse to the 3-5-2 though.

5 hours ago, Bairn Necessities said:

We'll Ross County also huffed and puffed against Alloa at home and only won with a very late goal. 

I think we'll find that no one in this league is very good.

Alloa probably will finish 10th but they won't go down easily, they seem to be well drilled on getting a chance of a result and will shock a few, first game of the season v County tho with all the pressure on County and everyone bar us in championship raised their game on the opening league game

4 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

I remember hearing a rumour that Scobbie final contract was a frankly mental 2 or 3 grand a week. 

I'd heard through a decent contact he was on 1700, remember he turned down premier league St Mirren to stay with us in the championship.

3 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

They have only beaten us once in recent years at home although there is loads of draws in there.

Look I agree 3 league games isn't enough but the reality is the crowd will turn and turn quick.

The crowd turned in our first league cup game, we do have a fan base of unrealistic mentalists on one hand but on the other we have been sold up the river by management and board.

I personally don't think Hartley is the answer as he believes fancy formations are key, Houston did also but he got that knocked out of him in weeks and only doctored versus genuine big boys in hearts Hibs rangers, when you line up v seaside leagues with one up top, questions should be asked.

2 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

After Hartley's comments in his interview I think he will stick to the 3 at the back now so with that in mind my lineup would be.

Unfortunately I can't fit Greenwood in there. On the plus side I only have 1 player out of position! :lol:                                                        

lineup (6).png

3 at the back rules out one of the better signings in greenwood, still Robson does create but leaves greenwood a useless sub till we change formation.

3-5-2 also suits Froxy, can't see a 4-4-2 suiting him. 

I'd think most of us want to see Lewis and Haber try and form a partnership, so the top end is sorted as well as Fasan in goals, its the other 8 players where there are problems, I'd say only Irving and possibly Robson has everyone's vote using the basis that we can only play greenwood in a 4-4-2 

The more I think about it our squad is a mess, Hartley suggested players playing multiple positions a bonus but we rule out creativity in formations ruling out Froxy or greenwood.

The main thing generally about this league is you usually have one formation if you are gonna win it, its not like the top league for clubs our size or having Hibs hearts rangers in the league where formation changes make a huge difference.

I personally feel we should line up 2 up top against everyone, even if its one behind which Hartley is keen on against everyone in this league, home and away. There isn't the Hibs hearts rangers no more and we shouldn't be afraid to go head to head with anyone

43 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I see we've drawn the connahs quay nomads in the challenge cup. Shame its at home.

36 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Home tie against Connah's Quay Nomads in the Challenge Cup. Apparently play in the Welsh Premier league with an average attendance of about 200 

We played them last year at this stage and they were the worst timewasting team I've ever had the misfortune to watch. But on the bright side, we won eventually. I only came to this thread to tell you that Froxy loves a winning goal against welsh teams!

40 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I see we've drawn the connahs quay nomads in the challenge cup. Shame its at home.

32 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Home tie against Connah's Quay Nomads in the Challenge Cup. Apparently play in the Welsh Premier league with an average attendance of about 200 

They are a team of absolute hammer throwers and their gaffer is a big whiny b*****d, genuinely hope you tank them about 8-0. Froxy put them to the sword last year in a game that was possibly the worst game of football I've watched.

9 minutes ago, MrDust said:

3 at the back rules out one of the better signings in greenwood, still Robson does create but leaves greenwood a useless sub till we change formation.

3-5-2 also suits Froxy, can't see a 4-4-2 suiting him. 

I'd think most of us want to see Lewis and Haber try and form a partnership, so the top end is sorted as well as Fasan in goals, its the other 8 players where there are problems, I'd say only Irving and possibly Robson has everyone's vote using the basis that we can only play greenwood in a 4-4-2 

The more I think about it our squad is a mess, Hartley suggested players playing multiple positions a bonus but we rule out creativity in formations ruling out Froxy or greenwood.

The main thing generally about this league is you usually have one formation if you are gonna win it, its not like the top league for clubs our size or having Hibs hearts rangers in the league where formation changes make a huge difference.

I personally feel we should line up 2 up top against everyone, even if its one behind which Hartley is keen on against everyone in this league, home and away. There isn't the Hibs hearts rangers no more and we shouldn't be afraid to go head to head with anyone

He has massively over complicated things. He should have known by the end of last season how he wanted to play and what formation he wanted to use.

All this 352 4231 442 pish is annoying the f**k out of me. 17 signings and no matter what the formation is we have someone out of position. 

On 15/08/2018 at 12:40, Lord Snooty said:

Some guys are great value for their post-match interviews. Check out Dick Campbell. Yogi Hughes was always entertaining.  Ian Holloway comes to mind too.  

Gordon Strachan was a belter at Southampton. He used to be worth watching MOTD just for his interviews, but then he calmed down a bit with Celtic and Scotland.

Edited by bairney

Guest Back Post Misses
It will all depend on how much sway our Martin still has over policy. I think we all know he is happy with FFC bimbling along as a mid table second tier side neither threatened by relegation, nor having to make financial commitments wrt pushing for promotion.
I suppose if relegation is looking like a distinct possibility, then a decision might have to be made. Remember the “Paul is restructuring the playing side of things such that the club never finds itself in this position again”.
That is now up there with “Our Time” in terms of false prophecy.

Ritchie and Alexander still call the shots IMO. It is their business after all so why would they not?