The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
We'll Ross County also huffed and puffed against Alloa at home and only won with a very late goal. 
I think we'll find that no one in this league is very good.

RC will win the league at a canter IMO

8 hours ago, GMBairn said:

Rumours that he has signed a significant number of these players without ever seeing them are starting to ring true looking at them and comparing them to his other signings from January. If that is the case the scout is obviously fucking blind and he has really let hartley down with some of the signings but to put that much faith in someone else's opinions of players is mental.

He will be feeling the pressure now as he still has a fairly good reputation in the game but that will take a hit if he builds a team here that fails spectacularly. Hopefully we can get organised and the players can start to show the quality and potential that led to them being signed in the first place.

Yep, I'm not necessarily losing faith in Hartley. It depends how involved he was in recruitment, and how many of this lot are his choices and he's watched. 

I've lost faith in this squad of players though. They're very very poor, and I don't think you can ever recover from that, other than with more signings in Jan.  Love to be proved wrong, but this squad is a bottom 4 squad.

I'm not really big on tactics and "what if we just moved him from..." I just like to look at how good players are individually. Pretty grizzly when you do that.

Not to say Hartley doesn't take blame even if the scout left him with a bag of shite (playing 4 CHs for example twice) but I could see him being sacked by us and successful elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I honestly have no idea. I heard from one player that the Morton victory was largely down to the combined efforts of Mick McArdle and a senior player rather than Alex Smith, and I heard an entirely different story from Alex on the team bus during the journey to an away U20 game some months later.

The truth is that unless you're inside the dressing room after the door gets locked it's impossible to know. If you're friends with a specific player you might get one side of the story but there may be dozen different viewpoints and us ordinary fans have no way of knowing which is the most accurate.

It's interesting that you say that. I was told a few senior players done all the work and planning for the games but Smith took all the credit. Again no idea if true or not. 

34 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

RC will win the league at a canter IMO

29 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

They signed Don Cowie the other day. Boi will cigar this league.

Yep.  Hartley may have been given the best budget a manager has ever had at Falkirk at this level.  But RC are in the league and they'll blow everyone else in the division out of the water with the wages they can pay, and airport links to Amsterdam.

Guest Back Post Misses
Yep.  Hartley may have been given the best budget a manager has ever had at Falkirk at this level.  But RC are in the league and they'll blow everyone else in the division out of the water with the wages they can pay, and airport links to Amsterdam.

Even our CEO’s drivel has got to other clubs fans.

It is nothing like the budget we had the year after we got relegated. We had 7/8 players then who would have been earning way more than even the best paid player in this squad

Guest Back Post Misses
Yep, bottom or second bottom around Christmas would see him gone.

Do you seriously think he will last that long if we are down there in 3/4 weeks?

9 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

No. Dobbie must love playing against us.

Then let's not shit the bed by saying we have to beat Queens or the knives will be out. 

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Even our CEO’s drivel has got to other clubs fans.

It is nothing like the budget we had the year after we got relegated. We had 7/8 players then who would have been earning way more than even the best paid player in this squad

I remember hearing a rumour that Scobbie final contract was a frankly mental 2 or 3 grand a week. 

13 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

You don't think they will be out of Queens beat us? I'm not saying they should be but I think they will be. 

I think it would be both harsh and short sighted given our record against them even when we have been playing well.

I wish I knew enough about football to know after 2 league games that this squad is a bottom 4 squad. Maybe I wouldnt be toiling away doing 12 hour nightshifts for 2 weeks solid to get coin. I would no doubt be chief scout for Barcelona or Falkirk

4 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

I think it would be both harsh and short sighted given our record against them even when we have been playing well.

They have only beaten us once in recent years at home although there is loads of draws in there.

Look I agree 3 league games isn't enough but the reality is the crowd will turn and turn quick.

I honestly don't think we are a million miles away player wise; it's more the Paul Hartley's team selection, strategy and team shape I am more concerned about. The team look lost when out on the park with little direction or understanding of how PH wants them to play. We were absolutely disjointed against PTFC with no one apart from Irving willing to take any responsibility.

Fasan

McGhee - Muirhead - Harrison - Russell/Robson

Greenwood - Paton - Irving - Robson/Russell

Haber - Lewis

Players like TOE may come good with more experience. He reminds me slightly of Leahy when he first joined in the respect you could see he was at a decent level but never looked involved or influencing a game. Fasan in goal has been pretty comfortable, one of the better signings imo. His distribution is excellent and I can't think of any of the league goals you'd expect him to be saving.

Edited by wee_bairn

51 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Do you seriously think he will last that long if we are down there in 3/4 weeks?

It will all depend on how much sway our Martin still has over policy. I think we all know he is happy with FFC bimbling along as a mid table second tier side neither threatened by relegation, nor having to make financial commitments wrt pushing for promotion.

I suppose if relegation is looking like a distinct possibility, then a decision might have to be made. Remember the “Paul is restructuring the playing side of things such that the club never finds itself in this position again”.

That is now up there with “Our Time” in terms of false prophecy.

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I wish I knew enough about football to know after 2 league games that this squad is a bottom 4 squad. Maybe I wouldnt be toiling away doing 12 hour nightshifts for 2 weeks solid to get coin. I would no doubt be chief scout for Barcelona or Falkirk

There may be an opening on the way...

13 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I honestly don't think we are a million miles away player wise; it's more the Paul Hartley's team selection, strategy and team shape I am more concerned about. The team look lost when out on the park with little direction or understanding of how PH wants them to play. We were absolutely disjointed against PTFC with no one apart from Irving willing to take any responsibility.

Fasan

Haber - Lewis

Players like TOE may come good with more experience. He reminds me slightly of Leahy when he first joined in the respect you could see he was at a decent level but never looked involved or influencing a game. Fasan in goal has been pretty comfortable, one of the better signings imo. His distribution is excellent and I can't think of any of the league goals you'd expect him to be saving.

This would be my team too, really looking forward to see if Haber and Lewis work well together

10 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

At the end of the season the players were told on the Thursday before the final league game if they were being released. I know because I was in the club that day, and was in the following day and shook hands with some of them as they said their goodbyes to the staff. None of them knew beforehand that they were going. Not unless they, and various staff members I spoke to in the preceding days, were lying to me.

I'm not quite so sure about the departures in the January window. However, I had a long conversation with Fash two days after Christmas at the Junior Bairns Day and he didn't seem to have any idea that he was going to be released within the week. There was a also a conversation reported by fans on social media in which Balatoni was heard bemoaning in Reception that his contract was up tomorrow and he had no idea what was happening. And the reported conversations with Miller & Kerr on Christmas Eve in which they were told their time was up.

For those reasons I find it very, very unlikely that players were told in November.

Can I ask what your basis is for making such a claim?

Was Fash not under contract though?  I doubt he was released more like told he wasnt in the future plans and a pay off was agreed surely?

It depends what people on here see as a crisis. We've lost two games already.  If you look at the past few seasons and how many games championship winning sides lose  Hearts lost 3, Rangers 5, Hibs 3 and St Mirren 8 although they lost 3 of their last 5 after sewing up the title.  We certainly don't want to be losing many more before xmas or you can forget any idea of promotion which would mean most probably a tenth season in the championship.  I expected us to be challenging for the title this season . Something we have failed to do in all but one of  the past what  8 seasons . Yes we may not win it but we should be up there competing with a chance of winning it coming down the stretch or to me its another very poor season.  Playoffs should no longer be seen as the main aim considering we've restructured the whole club around getting promotion.

44 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Fasan

Haber - Lewis

After Hartley's comments in his interview I think he will stick to the 3 at the back now so with that in mind my lineup would be.

Unfortunately I can't fit Greenwood in there. On the plus side I only have 1 player out of position! :lol:                                                        

lineup (6).png

Edited by Falkirk_Bairn_1983