The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I hope you are right but from what I have seen the squad in no better than 8th or 9th no matter what formation. For that Hartley is culpable.

The plan was to win the league. The club told us that till they were blue in the face. It has been at best misguided confidence or at worse another set of lies.

Its an extremely winnable league this season too. 

15 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

I disagree. He needs to stop messing around and play a consistent formation and lineup. Then we can actually judge who is or isn't up to it. I hope he starts that soon, or we will run out of time to replace the ones that need replacing. 

I hope you are right but I have yet to see much from many of the new lads that is filling me with hope.

Next 3 league games are massive in shaping our season.

15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I hope you are right but from what I have seen the squad in no better than 8th or 9th no matter what formation. For that Hartley is culpable.

The plan was to win the league. The club told us that till they were blue in the face. It has been at best misguided confidence or at worse another set of lies.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I hope you are right but I have yet to see much from many of the new lads that is filling me with hope.

Next 3 league games are massive in shaping our season.

I hope I'm right too, I'm just not sure we can judge how good or bad the squad is until the manager settles on a formation and style of play and starts drilling it into them. In that respect we are a good five weeks behind everyone else and that falls on the manager and nobody else. 

Trouble is we have played nobody of any quality yet!There is no sign of a player who would get in the team of the division and to win this league you need 3 or 4 of best performers In your squad and one of them has to sore 20 goals! Who from or squad will be in the championship team of the year

Its an extremely winnable league this season too. 
Ross County have started ominously true to the odds, including going away to one of the dark horse teams and beating them. Im not sure it really is that winnable. Playoffs on the other hand, are anyones.

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Difficult to compare Lambie as even though it was pretty dreadful it was at a higher level.

Lambie did come in after a successful Jeffries season with the tag, we are looking to escape relegation, so I suppose he set us up to fail and didn't set the target high.

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

Worse than people, people have the sign hindsight blindness for Houston that they had for a while with Yogi. Everyone is putting the boot into Hartley, conveniently choosing to forget that if we had stuck with Houston we may well have ended up either down or in the playoffs. 

I firmly believe managers generally have a certain lifespan at a club, Houston's was up the previous season but I doubt we would've been in a relegation fight as long as we were with Hartley, it's the unanswerable question tho.

12 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

I hope I'm right too, I'm just not sure we can judge how good or bad the squad is until the manager settles on a formation and style of play and starts drilling it into them. In that respect we are a good five weeks behind everyone else and that falls on the manager and nobody else. 

No one on here supporting FFC wants Hartley to fail but you can only judge him on his team so far and as it stands we have three players(not including Fasan)who have came in and have looked decent from day one and all three were signed without a pre season with us. I think many of us would think the players signed with a pre season would be ahead and stick out for us or show they have something to offer.

I do hope some of our players who have underperformed to the standard of Haber, Irving and Greenwood do pick up but let's not forget these players have performed under the same restrictions of Hartleys formation and team selection but the reality for me is I still think a good few of them just aren't up to it.

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

I hate saying this after 17? signings but this attacker he's hoping to bring in could be make or break for him.

I'd love it to be Nelson but I'm expecting to be underwhelmed

At this stage we need a 30 year old with a record of 10-15 goals a season and the experience to go with it. Nelson might be a good signing, but he's no experience to fall back on when it gets hard. Need someone who's been around and taken a few literal kickings.

Two major problems there, those sort of players are already going to have a club, and experienced pro sounds like the sort of guys that would fall out with Hartley's bullshit quickly. 

At this stage we need a 30 year old with a record of 10-15 goals a season and the experience to go with it. Nelson might be a good signing, but he's no experience to fall back on when it gets hard. Need someone who's been around and taken a few literal kickings.

Two major problems there, those sort of players are already going to have a club, and experienced pro sounds like the sort of guys that would fall out with Hartley's bullshit quickly. 
I've said it before on here but the players a team like Falkirk can get is totally different from what we need. It's still early days and someone we already have may become the goal scorer/creator we need

1 minute ago, Rocco said:
3 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

I've said it before on here but the players a team like Falkirk can get is totally different from what we need. It's still early days and someone we already have may become the goal scorer/creator we need

We have to hope that's true, either that or a totally random Roman Wallner-esque signing straight out of nowhere. 

13 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I hate saying this after 17? signings but this attacker he's hoping to bring in could be make or break for him.

I'd love it to be Nelson but I'm expecting to be underwhelmed

He has already signed two physical strikers in Haber and Mackin, so I doubt Nelson will be back. If he is looking for someone to provide a bit of spark and something different up front then Jai Quitongo might just be worth an enquiry, albeit he has a shocking injury record (probably the reason he is still unattached) and is likely to have more attractive offers if he can prove his fitness. But it's extremely slim pickings at this stage of this season, there is not much left.

Edited by AGPar

The irony isn’t lost on me that Hartley came in last season and rescued us from the dire straits of what most of us saw as the worst performing Falkirk side since Totten’s infamous “should have been relegated” side.

The rescue mission complete, Hartley has now apparently put together a side that on LC and League action so far, looks like the worst performing Falkirk side* since Totten’s infamous “should have been relegated” side.

*Haber, Greenwood and Irving excepted.

He has already signed two physical strikers in Haber and Mackin, so I doubt Nelson will be back. If he is looking for someone to provide a bit of spark and something different up front then Jai Quitongo might just be worth an enquiry, albeit he has a shocking injury record (probably the reason he is still unattached) and is likely to have more attractive offers if he can prove his fitness. But it's extremely slim pickings at this stage of this season, there is not much left.
I wouldn't say Nelson is the same type of player as them though. Yes he is physical but he also has pace and will chase down everything for 90 minutes

Sounds like the majority on here have already gave up on Hartley.
There are quite a few that never gave him a chance from the start. I actually think he'll turn it around, however, I doubt we'll be up challenging for the title so no doubt some fans would want him sacked

Just now, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

I don’t think so, but there’s a bit of incredulity over how a man who pulled us away from disaster last season with some clever mid season loan players has, when given pretty much carte blanche to rebuild the playing side completely, ended up with a bit of a misfit, misfunctioning group of players with as many doubts over their quality as there is over Hartley’s baffling tactics and team selections.

Given the time to scout, assess, and sign up replacements (since November last year apparently), then it’s no surprise that people are a good way down the path of having doubts about the whole exercise. I don’t think the majority have given up on him, but the majority are all starting to ask the same uncomfortable questions.

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:
13 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

There are quite a few that never gave him a chance from the start. I actually think he'll turn it around, however, I doubt we'll be up challenging for the title so no doubt some fans would want him sacked

.....and that’s purely down to everyone’s interpretation of what “turning it around” actually means.For some, that could mean 2nd, 3rd or 4th. For others of a less demanding nature, 6th or 7th might be seen as a significant rescue act given what we have witnessed so far.