The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Rocco said:
10 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:
Kidd

Maybe he decided to play Russell to give him more game time. I'm not confident with Kidd at right back so I'd maybe take the opportunity to give a new signing game time over playing a guy who is backup for the back ups

It’s pretty hard to be confident of anyone in any position at the moment with the exception of two or three.

I don’t think there’s another manager in Scotland (even the eejit at DUFC) who is in bigger danger of losing his job than Hartley......and that’s saying something given FFCs liking for not firing anyone.

We all want him to turn it round. I am unsure if he can do it quick enough, or if he can even do it at all. He probably has til the end of the year to sort it out.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Wasn’t there tonight because f**k colt sides. However going by the falkirk twitter we seemed to be doing well enough until injuries hit us. I think we need to stick to our 3-5-2 formation considering we’ve got plenty of centre backs, and centre mids. We need to play 2 upfront to get anywhere and if we can bring a right sided wing back in and another striker then we should do a lot better.

Just now, Senor Bairn said:

Wasn’t there tonight because f**k colt sides. However going by the falkirk twitter we seemed to be doing well enough until injuries hit us. I think we need to stick to our 3-5-2 formation considering we’ve got plenty of centre backs, and centre mids. We need to play 2 upfront to get anywhere and if we can bring a right sided wing back in and another striker then we should do a lot better.

The man speaks sense

We did just enough. Best we're Mutch who gets more assured with every game. Centre half's and mcghee were passable Robson the pick of the defenders. Paton did enough and will do a job for us Toe flatters to deceive and lots of touches with no end product. Lewis was better and looked more effective  through the middle. Greenwood can play but is not fit and will improve. Irving again most effective and creative player Best kid on the park. Petra I'm certain could be more effective at right back. He can tackle and although he is a bit raw he can switch play and is okay in the air and with his electric pace he could be a sensation on the overlap instead of waiting on the ball, he needs to run on to it. Foxy is tricky and deceptively strong he needs games but is confident on the ball. He will create more goals from link up play compared to Toe and needs to be encouraged. Mackin was superb as a bench warmer and Hartley looks like a greasy wee naff, that hopefully will turn into a manager. He needs a wash and a haircut and a suit to look the part. 

starting to get a better feel for the players now and it's going to be a long season I feel.

a combination of things not working. first is (taking aside skill levels) we have a number of players who are slow or unfit I include Paton Mackin froxy Harrison. second is personnel for positions today we didn't field a striker in the second half and completely fell out the game at one point petravious beat his man on the touchline looked up to find a man and we had no one in the box. how can you expect to score goals? if that game had gone on another 15 minutes rangers kids would have won it. third is we have too many anonymous midfield passengers I include Turner sammut and toe. every game I've seen them I sometimes forget they are playing. toe tonight barely got involved second half. we need every player getting involved. the wee tiny rangers no8 tonight was always showing for the ball and trying to hurt us. we are a liability at the centre back Harrison and dallison really slow made mistakes and get caught out. finally this playing folks out of position not sure what we are at with that.

only hope I have is that Hartley has still to field what is imo our best side yet in the right formation. Robson never put a foot wrong tonight and better start v qos. haber might add something when back and Lewis could be a good foil for him in a definite 2 up top formation. Irving has looked decent every time ive seen him and Greenwood has potential. Russell played really well at right back tonight when he came on but again doesn't fit the big unit Hartley wants. we are still short of decent players for me especially in midfield

I'd now go with

fasan

Russell Muirhead McGhee Robson

? Irving ? Greenwood

haber Lewis

Game tonight really rubs in how far weve dropped. Three seasons ago we were beating their first team and here we are tonight scraping a result against their kids team.  A decent champ side wouldve taken 5 or 6 off them no bother. Very little to say we're going to improve anytime soon im afraid.

Guest Back Post Misses

Don’t play 3 CH’s v QoS please they will have a field day pulling them all over the place.

Before everyone descends back to self harm, let's have a look for some positives, shall we? 

We won. Let's just say that again. WE WON. I couldn't give a flying f**k who the opposition was, we have won a competitive game and those players will be going off feeling a little bit better about themselves and the players around them. We were playing well enough until injuries took place. 

Lewis showed that he can score, given the chance to play up front. 

Probably not much point say in gb anything else, I'll leave you all to stew in self imposed misery. 

I think one of Hartley's big faults is he drops players like a stone if they underperform.

He started both Sammut and Mackin on Saturday but both benched tonight. I can understand Sammut not coming on but surely Mackin had to come off the bench seeing as we had no striker. 

Robson hasn't been sighted for some reason but is back in tonight and going on reports played really well but will he start the next game?

It did sound like we played well enough until the injuries so we need to stick to the 352 for now. 

A decent enough win but an underwhelming performance tonight.

It's funny how people see different things in games, a few people on here talking up Robson but i thought he looked properly ropey and could understand why Hartley hadn't played him in either of the last 2 games, misjudging the flight of balls and being beaten a few times . I thought McGhee was our best player in the first half before he went off with a niggle, won everything, beat his man over and over and created the first goal and I think he won the corner for the second as well.

Harrison and Dallison looked shaky at the back, no pace with balls over the top so I don't think them as a back 3 with a high line is going to work that well unless McGhee is in the middle of it since he will be quick enough to cover for them.

I didn't think froxy added much either, he was neat and tidy and didn't give away possesion but he didn't create any chances for himself or anyone else, he still doesn't look fit enough to beat a man and drive forward.  Hartley spent the first 30 mintues of the game screaming at him about his position and tracking. 

Had that been a championship team we probably would have lost tonight,  There are a few players who really need to get up to the speed of the game up here, but Lewis did reasonably well before going off, we can't really hit long balls to him but that isn't a surprise. Greenwood and Irvine were good for the most part and paton was his usual self.

5 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

A decent enough win but an underwhelming performance tonight.

It's funny how people see different things in games, a few people on here talking up Robson but i thought he looked properly ropey and could understand why Hartley hadn't played him in either of the last 2 games, misjudging the flight of balls and being beaten a few times . I thought McGhee was our best player in the first half before he went off with a niggle, won everything, beat his man over and over and created the first goal and I think he won the corner for the second as well.

Harrison and Dallison looked shaky at the back, no pace with balls over the top so I don't think them as a back 3 with a high line is going to work that well unless McGhee is in the middle of it since he will be quick enough to cover for them.

I didn't think froxy added much either, he was neat and tidy and didn't give away possesion but he didn't create any chances for himself or anyone else, he still doesn't look fit enough to beat a man and drive forward.  Hartley spent the first 30 mintues of the game screaming at him about his position and tracking. 

Had that been a championship team we probably would have lost tonight,  There are a few players who really need to get up to the speed of the game up here, but Lewis did reasonably well before going off, we can't really hit long balls to him but that isn't a surprise. Greenwood and Irvine were good for the most part and paton was his usual self.

Froxy to me looks like the kind of player that will be top drawer in a good team built around him. He needs players making runs off him and supporting him.Hes wasted though  surrounded with dross like TOE.

Edited by Shodwall cat

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Froxy to me looks like the kind of player that will be top drawer in a good team built around him. He needs runners and players making runs off him. Hes wasted though  surrounded with dross like TOE.

You might be right but I have seen him a few times this season and I just don't think he works hard enough to be the heart of a team, time will tell I suppose but given how frustrated hartley seemed with him we might not see him again for a little while anyway.

1 minute ago, GMBairn said:

You might be right but I have seen him a few times this season and I just don't think he works hard enough to be the heart of a team, time will tell I suppose but given how frustrated hartley seemed with him we might not see him again for a little while anyway.

Exactly. U need players in there to do the hard work for him. 

Guest Back Post Misses
Exactly. U need players in there to do the hard work for him. 

I remember a little lad from the Caribbean who did f**k all off the ball too. He wasn’t too bad from memory.

A difficult game to judge how much we have improved. The opposition was full of nippy skill full players neat one touch stuff but lightweight.
The formation seemed more balanced and something to build on although as BoAB stated we had more than a few bomb scare moments at the back.
Personally I thought Robson was the stand out and Russel looked decent and solid enough when he came on.
In midfield I thought Irvine was decent Paton was Paton and toe contributed very little.
Lewis looked good up front and froxy started slow but grew into the game.
I’ll go against the grain and say Petra equipped himself well when he came on.
Overall it’ll do the team good to get that under their belts and hopefully Hartley is getting to grips with his best line up. Worrying we finished with no strikers and with three players hooked through injury and memories of Alston at RB for me I’d rather have depth in the squad before one or two tents

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I remember a little lad from the Caribbean who did f**k all off the ball too. He wasn’t too bad from memory.

The problem for me tonight was that froxy did f**k all of worth on the ball as well. 

Entertaining first half but any semblance of a functioning formation dissappeared with the injuries.

Positives were Mutch, Robson (easily our best player, the earlier poster claiming he was ropey couldn't be more wrong), Russell looks to be a decent signing strong and comfortable on the ball and Froxy has the makings of a good number 10 if used properly.

Big negative was how slow our back line looked against nippy youngsters.

Just about deserved the win but still a long way from where we need to be.