The Falkirk FC Thread

Paul Hartley needs to be given time, anyone who thought we were going to win the league this year were extremely positive or dare I say delusional? 17 players signed and the majority on here expect to gel within 6 weeks. I agree that some of the players signed do not look capable but they need to be given time to sample, adjust and experience the Scottish game. It comes as no surprise to me that Andrew Irving is the stand out as he knows what to expect on the field re physicality/tempo etc.

I'm sure all the players signed will not be duds but one thing is for sure, if they keep reading half the slaughtering and negativity on here and other social media sites the little confidence that they may have will only get worse, how is this productive?

We all had a great summer filled with signings and optimism.. Add great banter into the mix and maybe we just got carried away a wee bit.

Two league games down and already the knives are out? It is a little embarrassing. Almost everyone on here applauded Hartley's refreshing strategy getting rid of the abject failures from last season.

Don't you think he deserves time to learn about the players strengths and weaknesses? Do you also think that Hartley is enjoying seeing his team bottom of the league with his managerial reputation on the line? Time to cool it and get off his back as show the guy some support.

Before anyone suggests I'm not a 'happy clapper' just a guy who thinks that Rome wasn't built in a day!

#COYB

Guest Back Post Misses
Do you remember the fans meeting with Martin Ritchie after the news broke about HMRC? Multiple fans stood up, were given the microphone and told him that the support didn't want Pressley as a manager. Every speaker who made that point  got a roar of approval from the hundreds of folk who had turned up.
It made not one blind bit of difference. The board ignored them. And Pressley stayed for as long as he wanted to.
Ignoring fans isn't hard, particularly now that the season ticket monies are in.
Ignoring sponsors, corporate business etc is harder. Once you get three men and a dog in hospitality, as there was for a few games last season, then the alarm bells may start to ring.

Ok. You will be right. I remember Houston last season too.

The fans will get their way.

Paul Hartley needs to be given time, anyone who thought we were going to win the league this year were extremely positive or dare I say delusional?

Don’t disagree with much of the sentiment, but surely the point here is that it’s Hartley and the board that are delusional as winning the league this season was the stated objective......

Don’t disagree with much of the sentiment, but surely the point here is that it’s Hartley and the board that are delusional as winning the league this season was the stated objective......

Yes I agree but we are only 5% through the season, beat QOS in two weeks time and it will look a lot better I'm sure

Long long way to go

Yes I agree but we are only 5% through the season, beat QOS in two weeks time and it will look a lot better I'm sure

Long long way to go

If our target is the playoffs, I agree.
However we have given hot favourites Ross County a six point start which there’s little likelihood already that we will close.

8 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Long long way to go

....and lose to QotS, and watch the sh1t hit the fan. If he goes into this with one up front and praying for a point, he really is making yet another mistake.

I'm not too fussed about the Challenge Cup either, but if we lose to a Colt team it'd be as humiliating as it gets.

I'd like to see him reward the guys who have looked half decent and cut out the guys who have been particularly bad. I'd go with the following team for Tuesday.

Fasan

McGhee Muirhead Harrison Robson

Greenwood Irving Paton Robson

Haber Turner

....and lose to QotS, and watch the sh1t hit the fan. If he goes into this with one up front and praying for a point, he really is making yet another mistake.

I would hope he is learning too!

I know we were awful in the LC but the two last second half displays were encouraging. I know we never played well in the first half yesterday but we did come close a few times in the second half and on another day we may have scored 3 goals.
Reality is we lost 2 games by a goal in each, it's not as if we were scudded in both.

I know our fan base is fickle like most, we are either heroes or zeroes!

I'm not too fussed about the Challenge Cup either, but if we lose to a Colt team it'd be as humiliating as it gets.
I'd like to see him reward the guys who have looked half decent and cut out the guys who have been particularly bad. I'd go with the following team for Tuesday.

Fasan

Haber Turner

I agree with the sentiment. The only caveat being its crucial that Colts, and especially the arse cheek ones, get absolutely blootered senseless. Get Paton in against them.

Also, if we are punting shite performers, I dont think I would be so quick to keep Aero ahead of Dallison. I though Aero was pish on Saturday and didnt look like his heart was in it which is unlike him.

Right. While the support eat themselves, I'll complete my task.

Here is Falkirk FC's top post-war goalscorer.

He is in the books with 107 goals for the club.

He was signed in January 1957, as Falkirk were forced to rebuild in a dreadful season under Reggie Smith, which ended gloriously as you know. He played 14 league games that season, scoring twice. But it was in the Scottish Cup that he excelled. He played in 6 of Falkirk's 7 SC games that season. He scored in the QF win over Clyde, again in the semi final win over Raith Rovers, and most importantly of all, he scored the winning goal in the Cup Final replay against Kilmarnock. That wonderful moment is captured in the photo below.

Our hero then continued to notch regularly until he was sold in 1961 to Ipswich Town. He returned in late 1964 but only scored two league goals that year, both coming against Celtic in that unbelievable 6-2 victory. Was that the last time anyone scored 6 against that mob?

He continued to bash away, this nippy inside left, until leaving for good early in the 1967/68 season.

A true hero of the club; long term servant, successful player, and of course he won us the oldest trophy in association football. Others should have joined him since, but that can't be helped now. You will of course have realised already I am referring to

Doug Moran.

Capture.JPG

Hopefully my wee pet project was of interest to some of you.

As I said previously, I've got the (post-war) appearance stats bent over and ready, but I think I'll leave them for the moment - things are too "interesting" on the park.

All Falkirk fans should have bookmarked two amazing sites for stats/reference/fact/snippets. They are genuinely worth their weight in gold. No I don't run them.

http://www.bettermeddle.org.uk/

http://www.falkirk-football-history.co.uk/

Cheers, R.

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Fasan

Haber Turner

Busy afternoon for Tommy Robson!

I think he'll play a couple who have not been starting: Mutch and Robson for starters. Would not be surprised to see Kidd in there with Sammut, and Greenwood replacing Petra.

Surely, SURELY he'll play two proper front men and go for it against junior bigots?

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think he'll play a couple who have not been starting: Mutch and Robson for starters. Would not be surprised to see Kidd in there with Sammut, and Greenwood replacing Petra.

Surely, SURELY he'll play two proper front men and go for it against junior bigots?

Apprentice Boys bigots surely. 

7 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

If anyone on this forum thinks Hartley has been brought in to be our manager while we change the whole way the club is going to be ran only to be sacked 6/7 games then then quite frankly your a fucking clown and a gimp to boot.

Anything short of skull fucking Martin Ritchie at a board meeting will see him through December. 

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sammut started yesterday , was totally anonymous and hooked at ht.!!