The Falkirk FC Thread

Two big problems as far as I can see. Firstly we were unable to attract the players that had been targeted leaving us with a pretty mixed bag of second, third or even fourth choice signings (also failed to keep Sibbald and Longridge). Pay peanuts get monkeys.
Secondly the Manager is not getting the most out of the players available to him, his player selections and formations are are strange to the point of perverse.
We probably do have enough about us to still mount a challenge but only if Hartley gets his head out of his backside quick style and makes the most of the squad he has.

agree with much of this. taiwo is now playing and playing well in the league above. we replaced him with Paton. Miller helped livvi get promotion and is playing in the league above. he's better than Lewis and Mackin. sibbald wanted away but he's now also playing league above. froxy doesnt look fit and shown littke to date as the sibbald replacement. even Kerr helped Ayr get promoted and they've started well. sammut has shown nothing so far. longridge is playing with a dunfermline who will probably finish above us and he and hippo make pertravicious and Turner look awful. Lewis isn't a patch on jakubiak or even Nelson. so you can see why we have our challenges. add to that the weird team choices and it's very poor to watch.

the jury is out on fasan Harrison and dallison so far.

Greenwood shows good attitude and promise. haber could do a job too. the one standout so far has been Irving

We probably do have enough about us to still mount a challenge but only if Hartley gets his head out of his backside quick style and makes the most of the squad he has.

On the basis of the two performances to date I haven’t seen too much by the way of individual quality so far to say that if they are played in correct position we’d mount a challenge.
Irving looks potentially special, and Froxy and Greenwood have some nice touches. We’d maybe see something good from Haber, but that’s about all...

Hartleys quote that players were not doing their jobs. Does it not make him think that perhaps he is asking them to do jobs they are not equipped for? Aero and McGhee whilst passable as CH's don't have the speed or skill needed at FB as they do not have the skill to create chances for midfield and without that we don't use midfield properly. Think about it Paul

27 minutes ago, Rocco said:
38 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:
Two big problems as far as I can see. Firstly we were unable to attract the players that had been targeted leaving us with a pretty mixed bag of second, third or even fourth choice signings (also failed to keep Sibbald and Longridge). Pay peanuts get monkeys.
Secondly the Manager is not getting the most out of the players available to him, his player selections and formations are are strange to the point of perverse.

Hopefully this attacker he's hoping to bring in strengthens us as well

Turner, Lewis, Haber, Mackin, O'Hara

In the ideal world that should be it, 4 strikers challenging for 2 places and a youth player, another striker suggests I've fuked up and we need another as 6 into 2 doesn't wash with me and I'm pointing out the good scenario, with Hartley it's 6 into 1

We need a right back a right mid afore we need another striker

Time for our penultimate penalty box predator.

Another of those lantern jawed number 9's that every team had to have, until the 60's I suppose when different styles evolved. The type  that centre halves would look at and ruefully state: "They have a cave troll!"

This guy was signed from Hibs in 1949 and bashed in goals consistently until 1954 when he was released to join East Fife. His best season was 51/52 when he scored 25 league goals in 29 games, and had a remarkable run of five games in the League Cup where he scored thirteen goals (2,4,2,1,4)!

He finished with a total of 85 eligible goals for the club, and had a name I genuinely love.

Angus Plumb.

50 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Thought you didn't want to keep them? :rolleyes:

A challenge for what exactly? :lol:

10 minutes ago, Rocco said:

They won't sack him if he loses the next league game.

Surely you're not serious?

If the fans turn against him like they did Houston and we hear 'f**k off Hartley' chants at the Queens match, he could very well be out of a job.

If the fans turn against him like they did Houston and we hear 'f**k off Hartley' chants at the Queens match, he could very well be out of a job.
If you honestly think he'll get sacked after three league games then you're delusional

100% he has had 10 games with no progress his summer signings are,very very poor I think he will get 4 or 5 games if the fans stay off his back but don't think he will get much longer unless results change 
Not going to happen. The board will have known what they were getting into with this rebuild so they won't ditch him until he's had adequate time to turn it around.

Let's just be real for a minute. It's that early he could turn it around and win the league

Think there’s a few fans needing to calm down a bit here.

Signs aren’t good so far but wanting the manager sacked after 3 league games is mental under most circumstances - particularly coming off the back of rebuilding the entire team.

I don’t know what he’s playing at with the full-back situation however. Just absolutely baffling. Jury is well and truly out on these signings as well. Especially Mackin - what is he/the scout seeing?

The utter lack on central midfielders who c a n take the ball down and pass it, with the exception of irving who will be back in Edinburgh in January. We need to get Froxy in the team, because Owen-Evans is still hit and miss, Irving will be away in January and Paton can't to anything other than snarl. 

So after January, or even before if he is recalled early the midfield will be what, Paton and Owen-Evans? Paton and Sammut? We've tried those, Froxy need a run out now. Because I can't see any other creativity in midfield other than Irving and he's not our player for long. 

Even so I wouldn't say that, based on what I've seen, Froxy is a player to build a team around.

While recent performances have been dire to say the least, and a lot of individual players have been criticised, we need to remember that Hartley did say he wanted players who could play a number of positions. While this is great when it works, it isn't here. The team is playing bad and a number of players look bad but if they were allowed to play in their preferred positions, I bet we would be a better team.

Perfect example. McGhee playing at left back when we have Brough, Robson and now Russell who are natural left backs.

I've no idea why we have moved to a back four when a back three suits the players we have. Muirhead  and McGhee are so much better in a back three and seem lost playing as full backs. Put Harrison in the middle and there is your back three. 

I think we would be a better team playing 3-4-1-2. Perhaps:

Leo

Muirhead Harrison McGhee

Greenwood McKee Irving Robson

Lewis

Haber O'Hara

Thinking O'Hara as he has pace to play of a big target man

3 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

While recent performances have been dire to say the least, and a lot of individual players have been criticised, we need to remember that Hartley did say he wanted players who could play a number of positions. While this is great when it works, it isn't here. The team is playing bad and a number of players look bad but if they were allowed to play in their preferred positions, I bet we would be a better team.

Perfect example. McGhee playing at left back when we have Brough, Robson and now Russell who are natural left backs.

I've no idea why we have moved to a back four when a back three suits the players we have. Muirhead  and McGhee are so much better in a back three and seem lost playing as full backs. Put Harrison in the middle and there is your back three. 

I think we would be a better team playing 3-4-1-2. Perhaps:

Leo

Muirhead Harrison McGhee

Greenwood McKee Irving Robson

Lewis

Haber O'Hara

O'Hara should be nowhere near the bench never mind starting games for us.

11 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

And what's O'Hara going to do when he's clean through after a Haber knock down? Snog the goalie? Cos he ain't gonna fucking score that's for sure.